Colgate Game... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Colgate Game...

After watching a lot of the highlights just wondering... did anybody notice that Aviles got a lot of run? Seemed like he was the third ssdm over Small. Maybe this has to do with Dami's injury... but still says a lot for a true freshman to be trusted with that many minutes at ssdm. IMO its very difficult to ask a young player to learn and play that position year 1.

Staff is very high on Aviles, ssdm is the best spot to get him early PT. Hes going to play a lot this year.

Good post, tried to watch the close defenders but was hard to keep track of everyone. Did Dipetro struggle with 11 initially? Who was Kennedy onto start?
Mellen had #11 and Kennedy had #13 until switching onto #11 after his 4th. DiPietro had #3

After watching a lot of the highlights just wondering... did anybody notice that Aviles got a lot of run? Seemed like he was the third ssdm over Small. Maybe this has to do with Dami's injury... but still says a lot for a true freshman to be trusted with that many minutes at ssdm. IMO its very difficult to ask a young player to learn and play that position year 1.

It’s no wonder the staff are high inn Aviles he looked super confident for a freshman and jumped straight off the screen!

Another note do not underestimate the play of Trimboli in this game, he been one-off our best players for sub over his 4 years he played like a leader and captain for us yesterday! He probably won’t get written about as he wasn’t included in the presser!

While excited about the offense, I can't help thinking if 1) Varello and Phaup don't dominate at the X, and 2) Porter doesn't make some "hero" saves, this game might've been very close.

Obviously very early, but would have liked to have seen Cook been able to beat his man 1v1, because we’ll also need an attackman that can beat his man to create offense when we play better competition. When has our 2nd line Middie group ever been more/as productive as our 1st line (proportionate to time)? Impressive middie depth, especially Quinn, and Buttermore is a sniper (should be on man-up). Is anyone else also very anxious to hear the real diagnosis for Mellen?!

Last edited:
Obviously very early, but would have liked to have seen Cook been able to beat his man 1v1, because we’ll also need an attackman that can beat his man to create offense when we play better competition. When has our 2nd line Middie group ever been more/as productive as our 1st line (proportionate to time)? Impressive middie depth, especially Quinn, and Buttermore is a sniper (should be on man-up). Is anyone else also very anxious to hear the real diagnosis for Mellen?!

Seemed like the other offensive players never got out of Cook’s way when he dodged. He’d run out of room. That’s bad off-ball play

one reason for the second line middies success was Cook's requiring a pole. I remember the Stanwicks at JHU relaxing as long they had a pole on them, not trying to score but to draw the pole away from the goal and pass to open players with shorties defending them. They would go whole games without scoring goals while assisting on several. I watched Cook calculate his chances against the pole and almost palpably decide to emulate that style of play. Wait a game or so when poles begin to slide from him to assess his play. Cook did not throw the ball away or lose it despite the long stick pressure, a good sign.

Lots of concerns after the first game (mostly with defense), but you can get a nice feeling of local pride by looking at our stats on inside lacrosse. Top 5 scorers are all born and raised in Upstate NY. This was the case with a lot of our top teams back in the day as well. Championship team with Nims, Hardy, Narewski, Matt Abbott and Mike Leveille in '08. Obviously this will look different by the end of the season... but still!
Syracuse lacrosse 2020 Roster and Schedule | Inside Lacrosse

Nice tidbit on upstate , no reason that it doesn't continue given our makeup. Goes without saying that top talent needs to be recruited from wherever but always good to securing the best locally and watching them on field. Players from Maryland, Penn , south and west do get quickly adopted as our own. Be nice to extend radius a bit and get greater penetration into hotbeds of LI and Conn. ..Brown's day agaisnt Mellen got the ink but middy Hawkins matching his soph output by scoring 5 goals bit overlooked and more disconcerting. Yale young mids scoring several in unsettled transition might have been a harbinger so have to tighten that up before they play the beasts of acc as well as tighten up man down.

I feel like I have a lot of thoughts on the Colgate game, but I'll try and keep it brief. Offensively, lots of good developments. They seemed to struggle early on in the settled offense, but they scored on loose ball and unsettled situations which seemed to settle their nerves. The biggest thing I noticed is they seemed to be going at a rapid fire pace, the fastest I've seen them play in sometime. A few times it looked like they were going too fast for their own good, but I think as the season progresses they'll get better.

Chase Scanlan is really really good. Better than advertised and I don't think the seven goals tell the whole story. He seemed to shoot the ball in a different area of the goal each time, in different ways. One of the most impressive plays he made wasn't even a goal, but a cross field laser of a pass that ended in a Buttermore goal (felt like he should have gotten an assist, but Buttermore made a quick dodge to get a better angle). Also he can really shoot the ball from deep. I was expecting big things from him this year, but have to say those expectations have grown.

Lots of offensive players deserve praise, but Quinn and Trimboli really played well. Making tough shots and playing with a lot of aggression (especially Quinn, don't remember the last time a second line middie had 10 shots in a game). That second middie line in particular really is not afraid to shoot from deep - if Quinn keeps this up that second line is going to cause as much headaches as the first.

Also special shout out to Rhefuss - what a difference from that start of last season. He looks a lot bigger this year than last and played with a lot of confidence. I hope he can keep being the distributor this team needs. I was a bit surprised by Cook and Dordevic's quiet game but I thought they didn't force things, which was good. I imagine there will be games where Dordevic is the one with four goals and Trimboli finishes with just an assist.

As for the defense, I was most surprised by the play of Mellen - I've only seen him play that poorly in the playoffs last year against Loyola, and Griffin Brown is not Pat Spencer. Brown should have been a tailor made matchup for Mellen, but at least three times he beat him pretty straight up. Not sure if Mellen was indeed dealing with an injury, or just was overconfident about the matchup, but his play will have to improve.

Again, as has been the MO of this defense, it seemed like switching and communication was a major issue - at least twice I saw someone slide and get scolded by the defender they were trying to "help". I saw some really nice individual plays by defenders, but not sure what the real "system" is. Concerning, but it is only the first game of the year. They'll have one game against Binghamton, but then some real heavy hitters come in to play with Army, Rutgers and even Hobart. I don't think they have the time to experiment with personnel - I think they need to make some tough decisions and let the guys who are going to play, gel. On a brighter note, I was impressed with the play of Helmer and Murphy, Helmer made a great groundball play in traffic and Murphy picked off a difficult pass on man-down that saved a goal.

I feel like I have a lot of thoughts on the Colgate game, but I'll try and keep it brief. Offensively, lots of good developments. They seemed to struggle early on in the settled offense, but they scored on loose ball and unsettled situations which seemed to settle their nerves. The biggest thing I noticed is they seemed to be going at a rapid fire pace, the fastest I've seen them play in sometime. A few times it looked like they were going too fast for their own good, but I think as the season progresses they'll get better.

Chase Scanlan is really really good. Better than advertised and I don't think the seven goals tell the whole story. He seemed to shoot the ball in a different area of the goal each time, in different ways. One of the most impressive plays he made wasn't even a goal, but a cross field laser of a pass that ended in a Buttermore goal (felt like he should have gotten an assist, but Buttermore made a quick dodge to get a better angle). Also he can really shoot the ball from deep. I was expecting big things from him this year, but have to say those expectations have grown.

Lots of offensive players deserve praise, but Quinn and Trimboli really played well. Making tough shots and playing with a lot of aggression (especially Quinn, don't remember the last time a second line middie had 10 shots in a game). That second middie line in particular really is not afraid to shoot from deep - if Quinn keeps this up that second line is going to cause as much headaches as the first.

Also special shout out to Rhefuss - what a difference from that start of last season. He looks a lot bigger this year than last and played with a lot of confidence. I hope he can keep being the distributor this team needs. I was a bit surprised by Cook and Dordevic's quiet game but I thought they didn't force things, which was good. I imagine there will be games where Dordevic is the one with four goals and Trimboli finishes with just an assist.

As for the defense, I was most surprised by the play of Mellen - I've only seen him play that poorly in the playoffs last year against Loyola, and Griffin Brown is not Pat Spencer. Brown should have been a tailor made matchup for Mellen, but at least three times he beat him pretty straight up. Not sure if Mellen was indeed dealing with an injury, or just was overconfident about the matchup, but his play will have to improve.

Again, as has been the MO of this defense, it seemed like switching and communication was a major issue - at least twice I saw someone slide and get scolded by the defender they were trying to "help". I saw some really nice individual plays by defenders, but not sure what the real "system" is. Concerning, but it is only the first game of the year. They'll have one game against Binghamton, but then some real heavy hitters come in to play with Army, Rutgers and even Hobart. I don't think they have the time to experiment with personnel - I think they need to make some tough decisions and let the guys who are going to play, gel. On a brighter note, I was impressed with the play of Helmer and Murphy, Helmer made a great groundball play in traffic and Murphy picked off a difficult pass on man-down that saved a goal.

LOL I've got a ton to, will try and post something today or tomorrow. Going to read your thoughts and give some feedback/thoughts.

I thought Cook played within himself when he had the ball and didn't force it. Played the role of party starter as John Danowski would say. His riding ability is off the charts, he had 2 caused turnovers and no turnovers himself. Add in 1 G and 1 A, pretty good for his first career start. Dordevic was pressing a lot, understandable. Lipka didn't look 100%, missing those scrimmages set him back a bit. Rehfuss was incredible: 1 G 7 A plus 2 caused turnovers and no turnovers himself. I could go on but much has already been covered. The defense is a work in progress but this offense will buy them a lot of time.

By far my favorite goal of Scanlans. Just seems like a natural when it comes to deception while shooting. Haven't had someone like him since Randy Staats (as someone also mentions in the comments). Nick Mariano did some cool things like this as well. Goalie completely fooled by him leaning his body to the left.

Last edited:
Just want to give a shout out to Buttermore for his goal off a hitch dodge. Usually after the hitch the player will cut straight across the middle in front of the goal. He kind of comes up field a bit before moving across. Nice variation... I wonder if he just read it that way or something that he's worked on. Either way, nice goal.

Also... looking at the stat line... Rehfus with 7 assists (I knew that), but didn't see he had 6 GBs.

Just want to give a shout out to Buttermore for his goal off a hitch dodge. Usually after the hitch the player will cut straight across the middle in front of the goal. He kind of comes up field a bit before moving across. Nice variation... I wonder if he just read it that way or something that he's worked on. Either way, nice goal.
Kid's a shooter, can shoot from many angles and posititions. Very quick wrists, can shoot from in tight with a lot of zip on the ball too. Very good player, I'd actually have him on EMO over Curry (not knocking Curry here) think he's a bigger scoring threat with a greater arsenal of shots.
He had a pipe shot in the Gate game too, good move, nice shot just a titch off the mark.

Also... looking at the stat line... Rehfus with 7 assists (I knew that), but didn't see he had 6 GBs.

And two caused turnovers with no turnovers himself. A really good game from Rhefuss. It seems like each year he has a big game like this (its been against Navy the last two) but can never really match the output in other games (obviously this would be a tall task). Not looking for him to have eight point outings each game, but would be nice if he could sprinkle more of these performances in, especially as a distributor.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to put this, but Cuse-Stony Brook wlaxers play tonight at 5 in the Dome, on ACCN too. Two very good teams. If you haven't watched wlax in the last couple of years I'd encourage you to tune in, you'll see a whole different game than what you've seen in the past. These girls are good with a capital G. Cuse is really, really pretty to watch, super good athletes on that team.
You're welcome.

Not going to overreact either way to this early schedule. Army n Hobart will test progress of D soon but truer tests for O is not until March. Clean up on some basics on both ends

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom