Colgate Postgame Thoughts | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Colgate Postgame Thoughts

I may or may not have questioned why McLeod was playing. I take everyone's comments with a grain of salt.
That is ok. It is when someone adds he doesn't even belong on the worse HS team in the country or something like that.

Jesse had a pretty solid post game as an upperclassman. And Tyler Lydon was fairly solid also, more so his frosh year if I remember correctly.

But 100% agree with your point.
As soon as I posted that I saw Jesse’s name on another post and quickly came back to edit

I felt the posts were much more personal against the players, and not really constructive about what was being done wrong in the game. A lot of player name calling and things like that. Half the board wanted Red gone or fired after 1 year. That is just ridiculous. Those were the type of posts that bothered me. No one was really saying anything constructive. At the same time I was texting with some really big fans, and everything they were saying made sense. I just don't like the ugly talk about individual players.

Of course it is ridiculous but that is what game threads are. Like I said nobody is putting much thought into their posts they are just reacting to the game. If player X sucked in the minute they are watching they say he sucks. If the coach is getting blown out by 20 at home to Colgate then he sucks. If they are playing well then the game thread is usually all rainbows outside of Benny stuff. Everyone is reacting to the moment not thinking logically.

I felt the posts were much more personal against the players, and not really constructive about what was being done wrong in the game. A lot of player name calling and things like that. Half the board wanted Red gone or fired after 1 year. That is just ridiculous. Those were the type of posts that bothered me. No one was really saying anything constructive. At the same time I was texting with some really big fans, and everything they were saying made sense. I just don't like the ugly talk about individual players.
Agree but two things: you can’t read the game thread and, in general, you can’t read things immediately after a game.

Posters usually are their worst/craziest selves in those threads. And that’s OK, as long as you realize it.

We are all Orange, but I find my best analysis is with my dear friend from SU of 53 years. It is high level and to the point.

I don’t like ugly talk about players either. “Constructive” talk about guys being paid to play is OK, I guess, but for the most part I try not to do it.

Results matter more than style points. Red's first gut check and he got these boys to get it done.
this times 100. This season isn’t about style points, it’s about progress and Red developing some sort of plan/system.

hopefully he can look over what worked and what didn’t and build on that.

as far as the players, they need to decide if they want to play team basketball/team defense or whatever the junk was in the first. a better team isn’t going to wilt like that, but as you said, you get the W and you take the positives.

What a great night to be a Cuse fan.
-obviously it was a tale of 2 halves no more so than for our best player Judah. It looked like he quit in the first half particularly on that play when he went for the steal and then jogged back while the guy who beat him shot an open three. But in the second half he showed a lot of heart and willed the team to victory down the stretch. It will never be under-appreciated by long time Syracuse fans to have a guy who can hit clutch free throws.
-happy to see Bell have a big night. Not coincidentally along with his scoring, He was more active defensively. Also, good to see him actually put the ball on the deck and go to the basket when guys overplayed him for the three.
-Red really had a tough first half particularly during the stretch when Colgate took over the game. He had Starling, Copeland, Cuffe, Brown, and Benny on the court. That lineup simply does not have enough shooting and we couldn’t get anything going offensively. To Red’s credit, His guys did not quit. We also saw some adjustments. Obviously, the press was the major one but we also saw better shot selection after the first three minutes of the second half.
-Benny was awful. I wonder if he set a record for negative plus/minus. What frustrated me the most was it seemed like he was in get mine mode instead of trying to help the team whatever way he could after the suspension. He appeared disinterested in doing anything but taking ill advised threes and it is not good when he has more missed three-point shots than rebounds. I can’t see him getting his starting job back from Taylor anytime soon. Taylor wasn’t great offensively and had a tough matchup size wise on defense, and at times he seemed a little hesitant to keep shooting. But he played his balls off in the second half, hit a huge three and had a tremendously important steal. Also he was the one Red trusted to get the ball in bounds, which is not an insignificant thing as we have seen over the past few years.
-our two bigs were horrendous in the first half. Brown seemed disinterested, turned down a dunk and McLeod was awful, going for every fake even though he had 5 inches on every player he was going up against. But the second half Maliq suddenly appeared interested and played some tremendous defense culminating in the big steal. Also nice to see him make some free throws.
-Langel was absolutely awful in the second half. Maybe we should wait before we put him in the Hall of Fame. He seemed to have no idea how to break a press, and Colgate kept throwing it into the corners which played right into our hands.
-hard to recall a game like this. But it was really enjoyable to see the team not give up and bust their ass and root on each other in the second half. Still not sure how good we are but I know the team has heart and that means a ton going forward.

It's so weird how people want some Pollyanna standard on real time reactions to a game. I just ignore it. Live and let live folks.

That game was not going well, at all. Glad Red changed up the D, calmed down the O and the kids responded.

And...

Alpha and Omega...

this times 100. This season isn’t about style points, it’s about progress and Red developing some sort of plan/system.

hopefully he can look over what worked and what didn’t and build on that.

as far as the players, they need to decide if they want to play team basketball/team defense or whatever the junk was in the first. a better team isn’t going to wilt like that, but as you said, you get the W and you take the positives.

I saw Judah getting vocal with his teammates in the second half. Leaders build teams. He took a positive step tonight in that regard. Proud of him

Also…..the first big decision Red has to make as a coach is coming soon, imo.

its getting close to pulling the plug on Benny. spot mins at best…or he needs to turn it around quick. Were out of time

Agreed.

Not sure what the suspension was about, but it might be Louie McCroskey time...

What an incredible win! No matter how many times we've seen comebacks like this (and it feels like there have been many in the past decade), it amazes me every time. Keep pressing, fellas! Congrats to coach and the team.

Also…..the first big decision Red has to make as a coach is coming soon, imo.

its getting close to pulling the plug on Benny. spot mins at best…or he needs to turn it around quick. Were out of time
I agree - It's now or never.

I thought Red pushed all the right buttons in the 2nd half. Kudos to him for realizing he had to change the pace and flow of the game and going to the press. I just would have liked to see it earlier like when we got down 10 before you have to climb a mountain to get back in.

I'll be rooting for Colgate to win the Patriot League. They're a very solid, well-coached team and cleaned our clock for about 30 minutes.
No doubt. They are fun to watch. Langel is a fantastic coach. Their guard Braden Smith is a very nice guard. The bigs hit the boards and get the ball in the hoop and they have several outside threats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom