Colgate Postgame Thoughts | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Colgate Postgame Thoughts

I was the pied piper in the game thread. The team fed off my positive energy.

GET ON MY BACK BOYS, WE’RE GOIN’ TO HAWAI’I.
If it’s the key to wins then I’ll ride this train with ya.

Bro, What?!

There was a point early in the 2nd half, when my wife walked into the living room, where I literally paused the game & gave her an expressive 1 minute history of Syracuse vs. Colgate, domination for 50+ years, losing back to back years & (at the time being down 22) losing again... to COLGATE. I had queued up a poignant thought to drop in this postgame thread about how my 5 year old daughter has experienced Colgate winning more games in this series than Syracuse has... and, what a RIDE in the 2nd half to flip it all.

Again, there's lots to critique & worry about & all that... but, I love basketball. I just watched a 24 point, 2nd half comeback from my favorite hoop team in the world & I will celebrate & enjoy that every time! It's basketball & it's fun. Great win for the team & I'm basking in it.

One appreciation - Maliq Brown, genuinely, has some of the quickest hands I've seen on defense. I mean it. I get mad at him sometimes because he plays defense mostly with them down at his side... but it's unbelievable how often he gets a hand, a finger tip on the ball. Passing, dribbling, whatever, he is a MENACE to play against, especially when we're in full court defense.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say after my disparaging first half comments, I was extremely impressed with the defensive intensity demonstrated by the team in the last half of the second half. While almost everyone did well, hats off to the last five or six players to play (I included Copeland for his defense also). Judah, JJ, Chris (stunned how well his defense was), Malik (caused several steal situation by swatting at the ball from behind the person dribbling and JT were all impressive.

One appreciation - Maliq Brown, genuinely, has some of the quickest hands I've seen on defense. I mean it. I get mad at him sometimes because he plays defense mostly with them down at his side... but it's unbelievable how often he gets a hand, a finger tip on the ball. Passing, dribbling, whatever, he is a MENACE to play against, especially when we're in full court defense.
Agreed x1000.
When he made that game-clinching steal and dunk. I just smiled and said: "Yup-, that's a Maliq play".
He just has an innate and cerebral sense, especially when it comes to little things that impact the game. I still don't like him at the 5, but he's the most important piece to our press. Love his game.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say after my disparaging first half comments, I was extremely impressed with the defensive intensity demonstrated by the team in the last half of the second half. While almost everyone did well, hats off to the last five or six players to play (I included Copeland for his defense also). Judah, JJ, Chris (stunned how well his defense was), Malik (caused several steal situation by swatting at the ball from behind the person dribbling and JT were all impressive.
Me too . Totally impressed with Chris. The press really kicked our kids into gear.

Also…..the first big decision Red has to make as a coach is coming soon, imo.

its getting close to pulling the plug on Benny. spot mins at best…or he needs to turn it around quick. Were out of time
Yeah- there's too much happening right now. Cannot wait around hoping Benny gets his head outta his rear end.
His affect, and I'm talking about emotional affect like what shows in his demeanor, is some of the worse I've ever seen on a player. He literally floats through a game watching stuff happen, usually a half-step behind the action, hesitant, halting, seemingly unable/unwilling to impose himself on the play.
He has skills, but plays like a newborn colt.

Last edited:
Bro, What?!

There was a point early in the 2nd half, when my wife walked into the living room, where I literally paused the game & gave her an expressive 1 minute history of Syracuse vs. Colgate, domination for 50+ years, losing back to back years & (at the time being down 22) losing again... to COLGATE. I had queued up a poignant thought to drop in this postgame thread about how my 5 year old daughter has experienced Colgate winning more games in this series than Syracuse has... and, what a RIDE in the 2nd half to flip it all.

Again, there's lots to critique & worry about & all that... but, I love basketball. I just watched a 24 point, 2nd half comeback from my favorite hoop team in the world & I will celebrate & enjoy that every time! It's basketball & it's fun. Great win for the team & I'm basking in it.

great post

Agreed x1000.
When he made that game-clinching steal and dunk. I just smiled and said: "Yup-, that's a Maliq play".
He just has an innate and cerebral sense, especially when it comes to little things that impact the game. I still don't like him at the 5, but he's the most important piece to our press. Love his game.
It was clear from when he first got time last year, which is why I was such a fan of his early on and pushed for more PT. Extremely active hands and seems to be around the ball often. Things you cannot really “teach”, he does very well. Ideally he gets stronger, develops more offensively, and maybe even a jump shot but for now he’s in a role that we really need and he will do it well.

It was clear from when he first got time last year, which is why I was such a fan of his early on and pushed for more PT. Extremely active hands and seems to be around the ball often. Things you cannot really “teach”, he does very well. Ideally he gets stronger, develops more offensively, and maybe even a jump shot but for now he’s in a role that we really need and he will do it well.
Second coming of Josh Pace?

I haven’t read through the thread & this is fairly obvious but Copeland is now hesitant to shoot from 3 after missing so many (0-for-the season I believe) & thinking too much. I doubt Autry has put the “shoot & you’re out” clamp on him ala JB but may have strongly suggested that he look to penetrate. His stroke looks fine & they’re close but just haven’t fallen yet. They were really sagging off him in the 2nd, daring him to shoot. He needs to hit some to keep teams from doing that going forward. Judah & JJ do as well.

just rewatched the opening few minutes of the game and I have to tell you .. our initial defense was actually pretty good. They hit two of their threes after rebounding forced shots with the clock about to expire and another three vs the zone off an inbounds. Our initial defense was good. We just can’t rebound and once they got the offensive board, we were completely scrambling . There is hope here. It’s a much easier fix than “we can’t stay in front of anybody “

I agree, but his defensive rebounding is non-existent. His post defense and sliding his feet is also poor. I’ve never seen a guy who pokes away balls like him. He just has to get more aggressive. He’s only played the five for every minute he’s been on the floor and it’s not his best position.

There were way too many Syracuse shots in the 1st half with three or four Colgate players in rebounding position and zero Cuse players in sight. That needs to be fixed. I'd really like to see Maliq get some minutes with another big on the floor. I think his production and the overall team rebounding production would improve. Overall great win. Colgate is not Kansas but they're good enough that a 24 point comeback is pretty amazing. Imagine the teams from the last two years in that position.

I haven’t read through the thread & this is fairly obvious but Copeland is now hesitant to shoot from 3 after missing so many (0-for-the season I believe) & thinking too much. I doubt Autry has put the “shoot & you’re out” clamp on him ala JB but may have strongly suggested that he look to penetrate. His stroke looks fine & they’re close but just haven’t fallen yet. They were really sagging off him in the 2nd, daring him to shoot. He needs to hit some to keep teams from doing that going forward. Judah & JJ do as well.
I wouldn't be upset if Q didn't take another 3 all season. His role is defend, board and facilitate. Bring energy. If teams want to sag off in the minutes he's in, he needs to move the ball.

Just a reminder that other Top 25 and P5 teams have already lost to the Colgates of the college basketball world this season. Massive come from behind win that we can hopefully build upon.

Wow! Discuss.
Started with a great National Anthem and finished with one of the best comebacks ive witnessed, in person at least. They were awful for a time but rallied with a great effort, doing what they should be doing v Colgate.

Crowd sounded pretty loud on TV during the comeback. Anyone know how many were there and have any comments on the noise?

Glad the crowd got involved and we got the Win in front of Elijah Moore. It could be an up and down season and we need to keep Moore and Freeman locked down.

What I liked in the 2nd half was that our defense helped our transition and our shooters were great getting into open positions. IMHO Bell should have had 35. He had 4-5 open shots (no one within 8 feet of him) and he missed. Liked that our lead guards found the open shooter. That was due to the fact Colgate clogged the lane preventing the drive. We want to run and allow long rebounds that if our guards hold back we get. We prevented Colgate getting into their offensive set by the press and thus were able to turn the game and take away the strenghth of the opponent.

Fantastic comeback.

One thing is that I'm still trying to get used to the way this team plays. After decades of watching SU, its an adjustment process. This team has different substitution patterns. Watching Red during the game, he was constantly talking to this team during play. I keep forgetting that this team has no seniors and only 1 Junior.

Results have been exciting but we do need to see improvement game upon game. I'm hoping we get to UVA and crush the Cavaliers at their own game. I hope to go 2-1 in Hawaii and beat LSU and Oregon. Crush GTown. Upside for this team is #6 Seeding in the Tourney. Downside will be determined if our outside shooting problems get worse.

Go CUSE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom