Colgate Postgame Thoughts | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Colgate Postgame Thoughts

Pretty sure they will identify flaws and ignore them as the season moves forward.
I thought this team would be further along defensively at this point. Still having trouble with pick and roll defense and help side rotations. Offense needs to have a bit more structure in the half court but not sure if that will happen (didn’t happen under JB)

IMO, great comeback. Having said that, the team needs to come ready to play from the start. In time the mistakes on D and the tendency on O to rely on 3 point shots will be corrected by Red and staff

Crowd sounded pretty loud on TV during the comeback. Anyone know how many were there and have any comments on the noise?

Glad the crowd got involved and we got the Win in front of Elijah Moore. It could be an up and down season and we need to keep Moore and Freeman locked down.
Announced attendance was 19K but NO WAY there were that many butts in the seats. If I had to guess I'd say it was closer to 12K actually there. There couldn't have been more than 1K people in the upper deck.

Hopefully the 2nd half showed the team the intensity needed to play man to man defense going forward.

Ok so rewatched the game.

1- bigs were honestly not that bad. Records as a 5th year guy was smart and just had that annoying knack to get shots up early and move around the shot blockers. He and Woodward got quite fortunate on the foul front in the first half. They let them get away with being slower to react and to foul quite frequently.

2- We badly needed Bells offense but his effort on the boards and closeouts was bad. I counted about 12 to 15 points on offensive rebound kickout threes and around the rim. Benny was even worse without offense to go with. Both also were lazy in transition.

3- the first 11 minutes Colgate was leading because of a few poor efforts and good execution. Hit a few tough shots too. The stretch where they took the lead was a combination of a bad lineup and just pathetic effort on both ends. It wasn't an entire first half that was bad just one really bad segment. A demon of this team in the previous two rounds vs Colgate and a habit that has to be broken.

4- Opening of the second half was weird. It was like the kids knew what they had to do but took a few minutes and then they got to work. Once they did- they were too much for Colgate as they should be. Colgate got very few good looks and most were rushed and the rebounding improved.

5- JJs shot is improving. The early jumpers and 3 looked so much better. Then the game wore on and fatigue you could tell had him a little off. Good news is there was a sign of life on his shot. Hopefully that continues.

6- Judah played the second half we need from him all year. He was vocal and a leader. He was emotional hyping up his teammates.

7- I think and hope this is a team that needs a higher talent level and intensity to play against. Don't know how it will play out but they thought they could play with Colgate at times vs getting after it and playing winning high effort basketball.

8- Overall it was every bit easy to see how this team should have won by 20 last night. Tight first half then torch them in the second vs the ridiculous stretch that saw them go down so far into and right after the half. I'm not excited by the win or bothered how we got it. We exercised a demon that has put a wet blanket on the past couple of years. Now it's game on- house money trip to the island and LGO!

There were way too many Syracuse shots in the 1st half with three or four Colgate players in rebounding position and zero Cuse players in sight. That needs to be fixed. I'd really like to see Maliq get some minutes with another big on the floor. I think his production and the overall team rebounding production would improve. Overall great win. Colgate is not Kansas but they're good enough that a 24 point comeback is pretty amazing. Imagine the teams from the last two years in that position.

Good post! Keep 'em coming.

There were way too many Syracuse shots in the 1st half with three or four Colgate players in rebounding position and zero Cuse players in sight. That needs to be fixed. I'd really like to see Maliq get some minutes with another big on the floor. I think his production and the overall team rebounding production would improve. Overall great win. Colgate is not Kansas but they're good enough that a 24 point comeback is pretty amazing. Imagine the teams from the last two years in that position.
Totally agree on having Maliq out there at power forward while someone is in at center, ideally a better version of McCloud than the one we saw yesterday. Would give us better play on defense and the boards and Brown can make enough happen on offense where I don't think we would be terrible on that end with both him and McCloud. Would actually get some offensive rebounds for a change

I honestly cannot believe it. They didn't show any signs of life, until they did. We will need to try that press more often. Plenty of guys on the bench to fill in for tired guys.
Agreed. Why wait until we are down big before rolling out the press. Should be employed intermittently to wake us up when we are lacking energy and the other team is threatening to string together a meaningful run. Maybe try starting a game with it for the first five minutes to disrupt the other team right out of the box . . . mix things up.

I'm going to be buying my Georgetown tickets this weekend, and all I could think about for the first 75% of that game was I can't believe I'm dropping this much money on a team getting murdered by Colgate.

Ok so rewatched the game.

1- bigs were honestly not that bad. Records as a 5th year guy was smart and just had that annoying knack to get shots up early and move around the shot blockers. He and Woodward got quite fortunate on the foul front in the first half. They let them get away with being slower to react and to foul quite frequently.

2- We badly needed Bells offense but his effort on the boards and closeouts was bad. I counted about 12 to 15 points on offensive rebound kickout threes and around the rim. Benny was even worse without offense to go with. Both also were lazy in transition.

3- the first 11 minutes Colgate was leading because of a few poor efforts and good execution. Hit a few tough shots too. The stretch where they took the lead was a combination of a bad lineup and just pathetic effort on both ends. It wasn't an entire first half that was bad just one really bad segment. A demon of this team in the previous two rounds vs Colgate and a habit that has to be broken.

4- Opening of the second half was weird. It was like the kids knew what they had to do but took a few minutes and then they got to work. Once they did- they were too much for Colgate as they should be. Colgate got very few good looks and most were rushed and the rebounding improved.

5- JJs shot is improving. The early jumpers and 3 looked so much better. Then the game wore on and fatigue you could tell had him a little off. Good news is there was a sign of life on his shot. Hopefully that continues.

6- Judah played the second half we need from him all year. He was vocal and a leader. He was emotional hyping up his teammates.

7- I think and hope this is a team that needs a higher talent level and intensity to play against. Don't know how it will play out but they thought they could play with Colgate at times vs getting after it and playing winning high effort basketball.

8- Overall it was every bit easy to see how this team should have won by 20 last night. Tight first half then torch them in the second vs the ridiculous stretch that saw them go down so far into and right after the half. I'm not excited by the win or bothered how we got it. We exercised a demon that has put a wet blanket on the past couple of years. Now it's game on- house money trip to the island and LGO!
I just rewatched it myself. A lot of the bad things we do can be fixed by the coaches. The team could be good enough to play in the tournament by March, but they may not have the resume. Unfortunately shooting and front court weakness definitely put a ceiling on this team, even when it all comes together in a couple months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom