College Basketball | Syracusefan.com

College Basketball

Dave

2nd String
IMG_7737.jpeg

The main thing keeping it relevant, is nationally, everyone still loves the tournament. Filling out the brackets, rooting for upsets and buzzer-beaters, all of that. Ratings wise, the tournament still does very well. Without that the sport would really be in trouble in my opinion. The regular season has no buzz, the lines of success seems to just mean in the tournament, on the bubble, or clearly out. Once you're in, nothing else seems to matter in the regular season until the tournament, unless you're fighting for a 1 seed and playing locally. NC State is a great story and there are things like that, but the sport has become tough to follow between the regular season not having any juice, following recruiting and seeing a player develop just to transfer after 5 minutes or go pro too early and start all over the next year.

The main thing keeping it relevant, is nationally, everyone still loves the tournament. Filling out the brackets, rooting for upsets and buzzer-beaters, all of that. Ratings wise, the tournament still does very well. Without that the sport would really be in trouble in my opinion. The regular season has no buzz, the lines of success seems to just mean in the tournament, on the bubble, or clearly out. Once you're in, nothing else seems to matter in the regular season until the tournament, unless you're fighting for a 1 seed and playing locally. NC State is a great story and there are things like that, but the sport has become tough to follow between the regular season not having any juice, following recruiting and seeing a player develop just to transfer after 5 minutes or go pro too early and start all over the next year.
It’s going to be hilarious when they finish the conference realignment chasing the money and then bball and fball ratings plummet and the money dries up.

i just finished watching Iowa v LSU in the women’s Elite 8. Caitlin Clark is “galactic greatness,” as an announcer said after the game. There are a lot of super women players and the women usually stay 4 years. It is a family atmosphere.

I never thought I would get into women’s bball because I went to all the men’s games and have been a follower of men’s bball for decades. But I went to half a dozen SU games this season and it was a lot of fun. The women were good and we had a great star, Dyaisha Fair!

Is women’s basketball the future?

It’s going to be hilarious when they finish the conference realignment chasing the money and then bball and fball ratings plummet and the money dries up.

Ratings are up this year fwiw

All true but if we were UConn we would be happy.

There’s a lot more stars in the women’s game than in the mens. Who do people tune in to watch in the mens game? No one!

For fans, the men's college game is turning into just rooting for school names on jerseys.
Every season brings a different group with little or no school loyalty.
They're just freelancers.

With rosters full of "play and portal" rent-a-players the game is losing some of its appeal.

For fans, the men's college game is turning into just rooting for school names on jerseys.
Every season brings a different group with little or no school loyalty.
They're just freelancers.

With rosters full of "play and portal" rent-a-players the game is losing some of its appeal.
I think the issue is that no league anywhere just washes out the majority of its rosters each year and starts over.

If you follow baseball you are invested in the young, controllable players on your team's roster (as well as any stars with longer term deals) and you're interested in your team's farm system. If you follow the nfl you're interested in the draft and free agency but a good chunk of your roster is set from year to year depending on contract/salary cap machinations. If you follow golf, there are always new up-and-coming young players, maybe you decide you like LIV, etc., but it's a lot of the same guys who are the best from year to year. If you follow the NBA there is a ton of free agency and player movement but large chunks of your rosters carry over year-to-year. Euro League I don't really follow but guessing it's similar.

It's just hard get into a sport where one year has absolutely nothing to do with the next.

All true but if we were UConn we would be happy.
You mean how everyone cried that college football was dead when we lost Duce the year before and now we bring him back along with Ohio State's QB and, guess what, COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS BACK!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom