College Football Heatmap of Fandom... | Syracusefan.com

College Football Heatmap of Fandom...

i have to wonder how much facebook likes are representative

the booming metropolis in the 14020 zip code aka batavia has syracuse at 32%, ohio state at 7% and buffalo at 6%

notre dame fans are either not on facebook or not the types to 'like' ND on facebook

it's just one piddly little town but i know those numbers aren't even close to right. maybe nd fans are too old for that stuff

i have to wonder how much facebook likes are representative

the booming metropolis in the 14020 zip code aka batavia has syracuse at 32%, ohio state at 7% and buffalo at 6%

notre dame fans are either not on facebook or not the types to 'like' ND on facebook

it's just one piddly little town but i know those numbers aren't even close to right. maybe nd fans are too old for that stuff

That's really the big question - how many people are excluded because they are not on facebook? And even of the people that use facebook, how many like stuff? That even further excludes people that could otherwise be fans.

I guess we should be happy that of facebook users that take the time to like stuff, SU is the school of choice throughout the majority of NYS.

That's really the big question - how many people are excluded because they are not on facebook? And even of the people that use facebook, how many like stuff? That even further excludes people that could otherwise be fans.

I guess we should be happy that of facebook users that take the time to like stuff, SU is the school of choice throughout the majority of NYS.
I think it's like any other survey in that it's an indicator of broader patterns. When companies undertake surveys, they don't actually go out and ask every person, but a sample of people.

As a methodology Facebook likes are rather flawed.

But it's a fun map none-the-less.

Worth noting that SU is the most-popular program in Westchester County, Kings County and Queens County. And we're the 2nd most popular team in Nassau and Suffolk.

:)

FWIW, that map also shows how the P5 really need to expand a little if they want to realize their dream of launching a super-league.

Probably another dozen or so programs that have substantial fan support could join those 65.

I think it's like any other survey in that it's an indicator of broader patterns. When companies undertake surveys, they don't actually go out and ask every person, but a sample of people.
you want it to be a representative sample

people on facebook that "like" a team might be very different than other people on and not on facebook

FWIW, that map also shows how the P5 really need to expand a little if they want to realize their dream of launching a super-league.

Probably another dozen or so programs that have substantial fan support could join those 65.
geographically, yes, there'd be big gaps, but the p5 probably have most people. uconn would be the big omission

geographically, yes, there'd be big gaps, but the p5 probably have most people. uconn would be the big omission

I was also thinking in terms of Congress.

There's enough reps in the districts that would be left out that would need to be placated. :)

Weird outcome UNC doesn't show up anywhere in NC.

That can't be right.

BC really has New England wrapped up...

you want it to be a representative sample

people on facebook that "like" a team might be very different than other people on and not on facebook

Exactly.

GoSU96 said:
Weird outcome UNC doesn't show up anywhere in NC. That can't be right.

I'd probably say State, ECU, USC/Clemson in that order in my neck of the woods. Don't know where Dook coming from

Weird outcome UNC doesn't show up anywhere in NC.

That can't be right.

Note: Facebook has a discovered a coding error with its data for North Carolina, and we expect to have corrected data soon.

Uh-oh. What are the Rutgers fans going to cite now that their beloved NY Times map has been updated?
Exhibit Y in the long line of damning evidence that Rutgers is irrelevant in NYC.

Good to see Syracuse dominate NYS, especially given how the football program has been struggling in recent years.

One thing I found interesting was how strong Florida is in many areas of the Northeast. Florida? Really?

Here is a better link to the big map, where you can scroll around anywhere you want and zoom in as desired. Cool web site.

Last edited:
Exhibit Y in the long line of damning evidence that Rutgers is irrelevant in NYC.

Good to see Syracuse dominate NYS, especially given how the football program has been struggling in recent years.

One thing I found interesting was how strong Florida is in many areas of the Northeast. Florida? Really?

Here is a better link to the big map, where you can scroll around anywhere you want and zoom in as desired. Cool web site.
Agreed - Florida is all over. In the town I live in (Massachusetts), Florida is #1 at almost 9%, O$U and ND are tied for 2nd at around 7%. Must not be many SuperFans® living in my neck of the woods. ;)

And, if you zoom in and check out Manhattan (and the surrounding areas) - zip codes 100xx and 11xxx, SU is usually either 1 or 2. Strange thing is, I didn't see the Girls in the Top 3 anywhere in NYC. How can that be? Did they forget to leave their TV's on?

Funny, I checked the NYC areas and Rutgers didn't make any of them while Syracuse made them all, including leading equal to ND! Other B1G schools made the top three in a couple places, sorry, no Rutgers.

Fun map. I refuse to look at zip codes in my area (Houston), they are orange, they are Syracuse fans by default. :cool:

And, if you zoom in and check out Manhattan (and the surrounding areas) - zip codes 100xx and 11xxx, SU is usually either 1 or 2. Strange thing is, I didn't see the Girls in the Top 3 anywhere in NYC. How can that be? Did they forget to leave their TV's on?

Supposedly its because Rutties don't facebook.

Note: Facebook has a discovered a coding error with its data for North Carolina, and we expect to have corrected data soon.

They updated it, and UNC has the entire state except for Raleigh. Living in NC, that's more like what I expected. Wake/Duke/ECU don't have a single zip code.

Supposedly its because Rutties don't facebook.
Well, that explains it. Someday, they will get internet service in New Brunswick. :rolleyes: