Cooney Is Redshirting..Just Heard.* | Syracusefan.com

Cooney Is Redshirting..Just Heard.*

strongly disagree ... there are going to be games where he is needed

This is going to seem the best idea ever in 2016 when we have him back as a 5th year senior. I think he could help us this year, but long term is going to be great from Cooney and for SU.

In those games do you actually anticipate that he would play? I don't.

People said there were games we needed Mookie in last season. He didn't play.

This is going to seem the best idea ever in 2016 when we have him back as a 5th year senior. I think he could help us this year, but long term is going to be great from Cooney and for SU.

Agree 100%.

Agree 100%.
One other thing I like about this - it balances the recruiting classes.

MCW and Rak - A not-so-little and a big, entering a pretty stacked team.

Cooney, Grant and Coleman - A not-so-little, a win, and a really big, entering what should be a pretty stacked team.

Let's assume TC is not looking at at lucrative pro career for the moment. A 5th year as a BMOC while getting free graduate work in, is not a bad deal. And a 5th year if anything, may well enhance his pro prospects - see A. Rautins.

He looked pretty solid in the exhibition games, but this is definitely a positive development for the team. He wasn't going to see the court enough to have it make sense to burn a year of eligibility. Nevertheless, usually when kids redshirt it's glaringly obvious they couldn't help us out, or were nowhere near close to being ready to play as a Frosh - Cooney may have been okay in light duty (not that he would have even seen that once the BE conference games began).

...i presume this is a choice he must agree with...therefore it is terrific...he is a great kid who came to school because of Newhouse...and I hope he does well academically as well as basketball wise.

Don't you still get to play 6 games, or something like that, before you take your redshirt? Or is that just for injured players?

We have more than enough guys that can shoot it from deep (and do other things).

While Cooney might be the best "pure" shooter on the team, there times where he will be needed where another guy can't fill in (Triche, Scoop, Southerland, Mookie, KJo or Fair) are extremely few and far between.

Don't you still get to play 6 games, or something like that, before you take your redshirt? Or is that just for injured players?
That's for medical redshirts. I think it's less than 1/4 or 1/3 of the season. Devo's injury really pressed the time frame, and I think he was injured right before Christmas. You're looking at 10-12 games max.

The other good thing about making this decision now is that if something terrible happens and Scoop and Thickburger end up getting amoebas or something from eating bad cheesesteaks and end up out for the season, they can still use Cooney. Making the decision now helps protect against limiting Cooney's contribution to a scant bit of early season run and burning the redshirt.

Great move, I didn't believe it would happen but it makes total sense. I echo the sentiments that I don't get the folks who think he would have been needed this year, there's a lot of guys who can hit 3's on this team.

Cooney might even have trouble getting into the rotation next year, but he should he should have a chance to be a regular two years from now, it's good to think that he'll have an extra useful year to spare rather than wasting one sitting on the bench.

Smart move. As for those who say we'll need him, we have seen him in two exhibitions against inferior opponents...JB sees him everyday in practice playing against guys who are on the #5 team in the country. He probably has a much better idea of what TC really can do and how he would fit this season.

Isn't Abromitus sitting out 9 games because he played in 2 exibition games then red shirted?

I like the decision. I just hope HE's happy with it.

This isn't going to significantly impact anyone we were looking to recruit for 2013 or '14, is it?

I like the decision. I just hope HE's happy with it.

This isn't going to significantly impact anyone we were looking to recruit for 2013 or '14, is it?

I seriously doubt it, TC was a good (not great HS player). Most kids will see him as no contest when it comes to playing time. And with the kids we are going after that may be true.

Isn't Abromitus sitting out 9 games because he played in 2 exibition games then red shirted?

Yea, he is. So, Cooney is prolly going to have to sit out games his senior year because the NCAA is ed.

Redshirt freshmen are allowed to play in exhibitions without penalty. Players in other classes are not allowed to play in exhibitions and then use a redshirt; Abromaitis played in two exhibitions at the beginning of his sophomore year, then sat out the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom