Which has become more important, recruiting or the portal? | Syracusefan.com

Which has become more important, recruiting or the portal?

SBU72

All Conference
Heard a stat yesterday that this year like only 10% of freshman are leading their teams in any category where as portal transfers are. So, does that make the portal more important than recruiting freshman? Is redshirting going to be a thing of the past?

For our team next year portal will be the most important not only getting some of our players to enter the portal but for us to open up the checkbook and get some high quality upperclassmen to transfer in to start here

I wonder if the portal has made HS recruits commit sooner? Are there still recruits holding out on signing NLI until their senior year drawing to a close?

I don't think we've really settled into an equilibrium yet. Like, it doesn't make sense for top programs to give incoming freshman minutes to develop them when they can snag starter-ready players in the portal. Thus, the 4-stars who aren't as polished and ready yet should probably be going to weaker P5 or mid majors and then portaling. Only the 5 stars who are ready for the big time should be going to blue bloods and big P5 programs.

It should almost be a reversal of the way it had been the last couple decades. The powerhouses had all the top recruits and a lot of NBA talent that would stay a couple years, and the mid-majors that could take them down in March had a bunch of 4-year guys who weren't as talented but had experience, poise and chemistry.

Now it should be like the cream of the crop recruits at powerhouses, then the best portal players at powerhouses - which will include guys the mid majors have developed, and a lot of raw talent at mid majors that's not perceived as ready for minutes at a powerhouse as a freshman.

The mid-majors who slay Goliath in the tournament would then be the ones that caught the ready for big time minutes guys who slipped through the cracks and/or developed the raw talent by the end of the year.

Unless you’re recruiting like Duke, portal. Every player has data at a similar skill level, anything outside the top 20 high school kids are a crapshoot, even a bunch inside the top 20.

I tend to think recruiting offers the most stable roster building and portal should be used for finishing touches/filling the gaps. But that feels a little idealistic as it's a crapshoot how many kids will stick it out if they're not seeing the minutes or roles they want to as a freshman.

I don't envy college coaches but as Don Draper would say, "that's what the money's for."

Interesting…..

Attachments

• IMG_2574.jpeg
    IMG_2574.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 36
Heard a stat yesterday that this year like only 10% of freshman are leading their teams in any category where as portal transfers are. So, does that make the portal more important than recruiting freshman? Is redshirting going to be a thing of the past?
They are the same thing: recruiting. The question is which is the most important pond from which to fish.

I do wonder once the COVID SR's go away this year if it will revert some. 23-24 year old players being the norm has been kinda weird.

I doubt it. Not having to sit out a year is the biggest draw. Kids prove themselves at lower levels the get to step up without missing a beat.

I wonder if the new portal rules existed in prior years, who we would have lost as a transfer. Would guys like Dion, MCW, Griff, Demetris, Damone Brown and Dave Johnson been more apt to leave if they didn’t have to sit out? Also, I wonder what players we may have gotten from other schools if they didn’t have to sit out a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom