Cooney's 3 pt shooting... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney's 3 pt shooting...

SoBristol said:
Looked to me like there was a conscious team effort to drive more in the second half. Cooney was blanketed, so drive more. The 3 point shots came from Richardson and Lydon because they could get themselves open. Take what's given to you (as you say), but also take what individual players can get.

I agree. We were driving to the basket a lot more than we have all year.

GoHamSU said:
Have you noticed the criticism has drastically reduced? It's directly correlated. He's not a good shooter and never warranted shooting that many threes. He made threes the first two games but they weren't forced, for the most part. He's playing within himself now and making plays, big plays. Keep it up. That said, I think he is due for 4+ treys.

You should call into JBs show and ask why he was warranted.

Shooters gotta shoot, but gunners should not use machine guns for sport.

You should call into JBs show and ask why he was warranted.
Look, I get it. Boeheim is never off base and Shooters shoot. You're a big Cooney defender (I am too compared to my friends). Otto porter is the best player in the world. Whatever. The numbers don't lie. I don't understand why this is even a discussion, quite honestly. His *shooting* numbers from three the last half of the season were approaching historically poor levels. Real world data.

That said- He has been fantastic this tournament. His three against Gonzaga was the biggest shot, imo. Defense fantastic. Much better drives. Hustle plays. Leadership. Love it. None of this changes the last half of the year.

Naive string of comments in my opinion. Cooney is not taking 3 pt shots lately because JB has ordered him to desist, unless he is absolutely wide open and there is no one inside he can dish off to. Why it took JB so long to lower the boom is the real question. Cooney has become a fabulous resource in the current win streak as a result.
I highly doubt he has been told not to shoot 3s.

supp said:
No more heroball. That helps.

When did he try to be a hero?

No one said that he was given a red light. He acts like he has been given, or gave himself, a yellow light.

Taking more shots than anyone else is trying to be a hero. Taking the last shot is trying to be a hero. Being a hero is not his forte but that does not mean that he has not tried.

I've definitely noticed, and I think a lot of it has to do with the increased defensive pressure he's been seeing around the 3-point line.
Its called coaching. JB finally told him to drive the ball if you notice he gets the hook each time he pulls the coon dawg shank. JB is coaching him should have done this 20 games ago. Coon is playing his best ball of the year he really plays well when he goes to the hole

AlaskaSU said:
Taking more shots than anyone else is trying to be a hero. Taking the last shot is trying to be a hero. Being a hero is not his forte but that does not mean that he has not tried.

Which last shot? You mean the one where JB said he tried to make the best of a bad situation because someone else missed their assignment? Cooney has never tried to be a hero. He's all about team. To think otherwise is foolish.

Exactly. Even during his bad shooting games not one time I doubt JB told him to stop shooting. He'd be on the bench for disobeying orders. In fact a few times I've heard JB say in a presser that he wants him to shoot and be a threat because it opens lanes.

Any change in how any player plays is simply game plan and/or taking what's given you. I don't think there was any conscious decision by Cooney to shoot fewer 3's or to drive more.
I dont agree. JB has been pulling him after poor shots.

kcsu said:
Its called coaching. JB finally told him to drive the ball if you notice he gets the hook each time he pulls the coon dawg shank. JB is coaching him should have done this 20 games ago. Coon is playing his best ball of the year he really plays well when he goes to the hole

Gets the hook each time?? How many times has he gotten the "hook"? You guys are seeing things that aren't there.

patcuse said:
Is this the backhanded compliment thread.

Yep.

kcsu said:
I dont agree. JB has been pulling him after poor shots.

When? He hasn't.

Cooney is proving that less is more.

Which last shot? You mean the one where JB said he tried to make the best of a bad situation because someone else missed their assignment? Cooney has never tried to be a hero. He's all about team. To think otherwise is foolish.
Taking the most 3 point attempts when you have the lowest three point %; some people call that being a hero. I agree that he is all about team but at the same time, until recently he has tried to be a hero. The team has a better chance when he does not take as many difficult three pointers.

Cooney has played 35, 35, 35 and 36 minutes in the NCAAT after averaging a little under 37 mpg in the regular season. Yeah, JB is really giving him the hook a lot all of a sudden. Sure glad the guy figured out that coaching thing.

Is this the backhanded compliment thread.

I laughed out loud at that. It's not officially a backhanded compliment thread until someone compliments me, so I think that water is just simmering up to the point Ive read(your post) so far.

Note- I never said anything about hero so I'm staying out of that

I've tried to be a hero on here before(I'm sure some folks remember...i wish I had kept a cover like Kent or Wayne, but I've been more like Banner...no pun intended, and RIP C.H.), and I agree with you that such things can get messy in a hurry, and dont blame you for wanting to avoid hero talk.

I have to admit, it can feel good being a hero, depending on whatever has led you to your current moment in time.

Look, I want to preface this by saying I dont wish to anger you again, but sometimes I feel something is even more important than I normally do. I'm a Cooney supporter(I'm a supporter of every player, including Chino, Kaleb, Christian White, and the other walk ons as well), but even I find that statement a little too absolute for us to be certain of. Some people may even consider volume rather than just timing of shots to play a part in reading a player's mind(conscious or otherwise).

It's kind of difficult to say he's never tried. For what it's worth, maybe his subconscious hasn't been conditioned to allow him to be, and has prevented him from being such(I've personally noticed the differences in my own performance when having certain observers, not entirely dissimilar to the understanding of particle observation determining its behavior in quantum physics). Maybe having Cooney's subconscious being accepting of hero status wouldnt be the worst thing for him or the team. Who knows? Either way, I wouldn't deem it foolish to consider, and don't think it foolish to even consider at at least some point in his career he may have tried to be a hero, even if asked to.

Edit: I re-read the example you used, and can agree that he likely had no intention prior to the inbound of doing what he did, per JB's presser statements. I'm just clarifying whether you meant at no moment in the entirety of his career or not. I agree that that particular play had multiple errors bigger than Cooney's missed shot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom