Cornell Game | Syracusefan.com

Cornell Game

CuSeLaX

Walk On
On call for the night shift tonight so I figured I would share some thoughts on the game.

1) John Desko is a wizard and I should never question him. How he has this team winning without a #1 calliber attackman is beyond me. Im not sure if any of the five guys we have running the unit would touch the field on any of our previous championship teams.(specifically the attack units Bomberry could run on a midfield line) Let alone teams like the 2015 team who didnt make it to championship weekend.
2) Evans had a huge game. It gets overlooked but he has been playing on the right side of the cage since Mariano moved back to the midfield. He is forced to have his stick in his off hand more than any other player and he does it with fluidity. Mariano, Salcido, Bomberry, Solomon keep on rolling. Rehfuss played great and having him as a 4th attack option has proven invaluable this season. Id like to see SU only use Brad Voigt in the man up. He is a solid player but so one-dimensional. I would prefer just the 4 man rotation.
3) Defense just looks soo good. I questioned them early in the year and I am regretting my words. I apologize leland I should never have doubted you. That said if Teat finds his way to the weight room we may not want to play this team in a few years. Evan Malloy used to bother me and I could never figure out why until tonight. The first Lacrosse game I ever saw was the 2008 semifinal game verses Virginia. Ive been hooked on the Orange and Lacrosse ever since. That being said the first goalie I ever came to know and love was John Galloway. I think in my mind I compare every goalie to him and thats just not fair. John was a master of every aspect of playing goalie and i was spoiled for my first four years as a fan. Malloy is not Galloway but I have noticed he wont cost us a game. He can occasionally even dominate a game.

Thus ends my late night rant. I couldnt be more excited for the rest of the season.

I hated the goalie rotation from a few years ago. It was great when Warren Hill came to campus who on paper was set up to be our next solid goalie (draft choice for pro lacrosse and had success at OCC). I thought that our long standing goalie problems since Galloway were over. Hill was a big disappointment. Malloy really came in out of no where last season. He was great in the acc tournament otherwise was uninspiring to me.

Malloy has really come into his own of late. Just based on the look test...no stats to back it up he seems to be playing well. He struggled against Maryland and in my opinion in the playoff loss and could have seen the ball better. I thought maybe one of the other keepers (transfer from Ohio State) might push him for minutes this year. I was wrong. He has really taken ownership of the team and unit.

Desko does not get the credit for his efforts most years. I was telling my friend I can't imagine Syracuse lacrosse without him on the bench. His demeanor is so perfect for this group. I hope he brings another title home this year. He might get the respect I believe he deserves. This might be his best job yet as you indicate. In Desktop we trust. He seems to have found the best combinations. A little nervous about how he uses Ben but kind of liked his answer where he said he wanted to keep him active and establishing good habits.

I hated the goalie rotation from a few years ago. It was great when Warren Hill came to campus who on paper was set up to be our next solid goalie (draft choice for pro lacrosse and had success at OCC). I thought that our long standing goalie problems since Galloway were over. Hill was a big disappointment. Malloy really came in out of no where last season. He was great in the acc tournament otherwise was uninspiring to me.

Malloy has really come into his own of late. Just based on the look test...no stats to back it up he seems to be playing well. He struggled against Maryland and in my opinion in the playoff loss and could have seen the ball better. I thought maybe one of the other keepers (transfer from Ohio State) might push him for minutes this year. I was wrong. He has really taken ownership of the team and unit.

Desko does not get the credit for his efforts most years. I was telling my friend I can't imagine Syracuse lacrosse without him on the bench. His demeanor is so perfect for this group. I hope he brings another title home this year. He might get the respect I believe he deserves. This might be his best job yet as you indicate. In Desktop we trust. He seems to have found the best combinations. A little nervous about how he uses Ben but kind of liked his answer where he said he wanted to keep him active and establishing good habits.
Couldn't agree more. Malloy looks good even though some times his numbers don't show it. I was thinking the same thing as you during the game "take Ben out" and then I watched to post game interview and also liked what he had to say. Risky move but getting Good Ben back is a game changer if it happens.

Molloy has been the most steady goalie SU has had since Galloway. He rarely has a bad/awful game and outside of that tourney game against Maryland. That said the concern I have is that when push comes to shove can he take that next step and stand on his head in the tourney when the team needs him the most ala his performance in the ACC tourney last year?

Molloy has been the most steady goalie SU has had since Galloway. He rarely has a bad/awful game and outside of that tourney game against Maryland. That said the concern I have is that when push comes to shove can he take that next step and stand on his head in the tourney when the team needs him the most ala his performance in the ACC tourney last year?
I thought Laminolara and Wardwell were both good. Didn't have a problem with either of them but didn't like the rotation. I thought Wardwell during his senior year was very good.

I thought Laminolara and Wardwell were both good. Didn't have a problem with either of them but didn't like the rotation. I thought Wardwell during his senior year was very good.

I thought Wardwell was to up and down, would follow a great game with a stinker. He had double digit saves vs Hopkins in that quarter final game and his D was terrible in front of him but he was beat for a handful of goals that had no business going in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom