Cornell Postgame Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Cornell Postgame Thoughts

Here’s my thoughts on this team:

Judah will be the man for better or worse bc he’s just way better than everyone else on our team.

Maliq is the highest bball IQ and will be steady for what he does.

And then the rest of how we do is based on JT and Bell.

Westry wildcard if he comes back.

Red is a work in progress.

We won. Thoughts?

Westry can't get healthy fast enough.
Starling looks beyond lost

Brown playing out of position but doing fairly well. Has to make layups

Copeland playing to many minutes, gets exposed

Benny era about to come to an end

Bell and Taylor were clutch offensively. Defense needs a lot of work

Cuffe needs 3-4 more inches, to much of a tweener

Westry can't get back fast enough

Obviously priority #1 is winning which we did, but it got close late. Also a poor 5' to close the first half.

Judah's shooting has improved immensely. He would have scored 30 again without the fouls. Got to live with some of the yapping this year...

Bell hit some important shots but also had some bad moments including that last turnover. Again...it's going to happen this year I think.

JJ... tough situation. He made a critical bucket on that midrange jumper late but overall that was a tough game for him. Not sure the answers.

Taylor/Copeland/Brown all mixed it up inside and these 3 are our best rebounders pretty easily.

is there any way to coach basketball IQ???

my idea: have "classroom practices" where the whole team watches game tape together.

and just pick apart every little detail...
do they do that???

Maybe I'm a negative nelly but at this point I don't care what we look like until I'm shown we belong on the court with a team that both has a pulse and isn't way less talented than us.

6-3 now, we were 5-4 this time last year with losses at home to Bryant and Colgate and I believe had a couple guys that aren’t here any more.

So guess I’ll take it for now.

Long term thoughts….meh I’ll leave them for now

I am encouraged. A slew of players stepped up to get us extra chances to score, stopped the ball with blocks on the break and ripped the ball away, especially Maliq and Q.

Maliq and Q are our modern day Dolezaj
Bell is our new age Buddy
They are growing and will improve their overall games.

I liked the way Taylor played today (I don't always). Solid on rebounds & defense, was a little more aggressive on putting up shots, put the ball on the floor & attacked the paint/rim today a few times. He did everything right.

Take the win over a pretty good team.
-however my biggest two takeaways from this game are negative. First, JJ was awful on both ends. I’m really starting to wonder if he just isn’t anywhere near as good as we hoped. I’m also wondering if Cuffe should be taking more of his minutes.
-my second negative take is that when Judah went out it looked like Red had No idea how to run an offense. We literally were squeezing up bad shots with single digits Left on the shot clock. He has to do better.
-this team cannot afford to turn over the ball and Quadir does it simply too much. As I wondered in the game thread, is he uncoachable or are the coaches not doing a good enough job stressing ball security with him? It has to get better or he can’t play. Red got Lucky when Q made those two free throws. With the lead red needed to have Bell on the court instead of Quadir For free throws.
-One huge bright spot was Justin Taylor. His shots looked much better even when he missed. He finally went to the basket and scored in the paint. He was all over the court and it was good to see him bounce back after a tough one in Virginia.
-Brown showed that you can really help your team win without scoring. Can’t remember the last time I saw a zero points 12 rebounds line.
-Judah looked great from three and his stroke is improving but the foul trouble has to stop and it seems like a technical foul is somewhat inevitable at this point given how many times he is talking trash, and the refs have to stop him. I can’t imagine that kind of immaturity impresses NBA scouts.
-stressful night, but at six and three this is where we thought we would be.

One follow up — I was ready to write off Chris Bell after last year. He’ll never be the most well-rounded basketball player, but kudos to him. I mentioned his D last game, but this game he had a few ball fakes, two dribbles, reset and splash. Just small things that helped him get a better look. He didn’t dribble 80 times. Just within what he could do and knocked down some shots.

He ain’t perfect, but no one is. And he’s clearly gotten better.

Westry can't get healthy fast enough.
Starling looks beyond lost

Brown playing out of position but doing fairly well. Has to make layups

Copeland playing to many minutes, gets exposed

Benny era about to come to an end

Bell and Taylor were clutch offensively. Defense needs a lot of work

Cuffe needs 3-4 more inches, to much of a tweener

Westry can't get back fast enough
the forwards without benny are not enough...even with Benny, theyre struggling...

but without what Benny couldve been, I guess, at this point...not enough for ACC etc

my guess: they wouldnt DNP Benny unless they knew Chance was coming back...so maybe thats a good sign i.e. westry

they kinda needed him for a while bc they are just so thin at the F spot...and all the shenanigans he pulled are catching up to him now...

Chance being legit is the only chance this team can level up from here, imo

OR

maybe benny is just injured/nursing something

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors