Cost of Attendance | Syracusefan.com

Cost of Attendance

Ped State student athletes will receive $4788/year for cost off attendance stipend. Let's make ours $10K
http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/penn_state_cost_of_attendance_recruiting.html
Assume we have 100 scholarship athletes and pay the same amount. That is $478,800 of new expenses we need to absorb annually. If the AD budget is out of whack now, and we want to pay the football coaches more, and continue to spend on infrastructure... I don't see how it all happens. Something has to give.

Ped State student athletes will receive $4788/year for cost off attendance stipend. Let's make ours $10K
http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/penn_state_cost_of_attendance_recruiting.html

Honest question. Is this money subject to state and federal taxes, as this is clearly beyond the cost of school (tuition, books, food etc.) so it has to be treated like earnings right. The P5 has to set some level limit I mean whats to stop say Alabama from giving 20k per student?

It's not something you can create for athletes only. This is SU's COA and note what I put in italics

Cost of Attendance

Cost of Attendance 2014-2015
Undergraduate Students

The cost of attendance is the estimated total amount of an academic year’s expenses to attend Syracuse University. Due to federal guidelines, we are unable to award financial aid that exceeds the total Cost of Attendance. Actual costs for direct charges (those billable by SU) can vary based on fees at your specific school/college and your housing and meal plan choices. In addition, indirect expenses (non-billable) such as books, transportation and other education costs may vary based on individual needs.

The estimated cost of attendance is provided so you may make informed and appropriate plans for financing your education. After financial aid awards are taken into consideration, you are expected to meet all remaining needs. Syracuse University uses a blended room and board rate to determine financial aid eligibility, as living arrangements vary.
The cost of attendance may vary due to program of study and program fees.

Billable (direct) Costs Other Indirect Expenses (average)
Tuition
$40,380 Books & Supplies $1,378
Housing & Meals 14,460 Transportation 626
Miscellaneous Fees 1,506 Personal Expenses 970
Total $56,346 Total $2,974
Total Cost of Attendance $59,320

Charges for tuition, housing, meals and fees are subject to annual increase, in order to secure the highest quality instruction, facilities, programs, and services. The University considers carefully all increases in fees to ensure that they are reasonable. Students and families should plan for annual cost increases and be prepared for the financial commitment.

Assume we have 100 scholarship athletes and pay the same amount. That is $478,800 of new expenses we need to absorb annually. If the AD budget is out of whack now, and we want to pay the football coaches more, and continue to spend on infrastructure... I don't see how it all happens. Something has to give.

Firing Giansante would probably cover at least 1/2 of that expense.

javadoc said:

I think we have a lot more than that. We have 85 just for football. Doesn't Title IX dictate similar in female sports? If so, we're over 200.

Reactions: cto
Football doesn't count for title ix because there's no female equivalent. But you're right, we probably have more than 100.

rrlbees said:
I think we have a lot more than that. We have 85 just for football. Doesn't Title IX dictate similar in female sports? If so, we're over 200.

Orangetradition44 said:
Football doesn't count for title ix because there's no female equivalent. But you're right, we probably have more than 100.

I thought that's why we've had to drop so many men's sports over the years and add female sports?

Reactions: cto
Honest question. Is this money subject to state and federal taxes, as this is clearly beyond the cost of school (tuition, books, food etc.) so it has to be treated like earnings right. The P5 has to set some level limit I mean whats to stop say Alabama from giving 20k per student?
I always thought that the moment you let athletes get any money from the school, there's no way to know how much they're getting. Impossible to track and trace.

I read title IX before and I don't believe it says anything definitive about monetary expenditures of female and male sports having to be equal. That would be basically impossible considering the money spent on basketball and football. It seems to be more about participation and opportunity and equality in numbers of participants.

From the National Women's Law Center website.
http://www.nwlc.org/resource/debunking-myths-about-title-ix-and-athletics
Myth: Title IX requires equal spending on women's and men's sports.

Fact: Title IX does not require schools to spend the same amount of money on male and female athletes. Title IX requires schools to treat male and female athletes equally, but it recognizes that a football uniform costs more than a swimsuit. So it does not require that a school necessarily spend the same amount of money on uniforms for the swim team as for the football team. However, the school cannot provide men with top-notch uniforms and women with low-quality uniforms, or give male athletes home, away, and practice uniforms and female athletes only one set of uniforms.

Myth:
Title IX has gone too far.

Fact: The playing field is far from level for female athletes, despite Title IX's considerable successes. Women's athletics programs still lag behind men's programs. While slightly more than half of the students in NCAA schools are women, they receive only 44% of the athletic participation opportunities. Moreover, female athletes at the typical Division I-FBS school receive roughly:

• 28% of the total money spent on athletics;
  • 31% of the dollars spent to recruit new athletes; and
  • 42% of the total athletic scholarship dollars.
Spending on men's sports continues to dominate spending on women's sports:

• At the typical Division I-FBS school, for every dollar spent on women's sports, almost two and a half dollars are spent on men's sports.
  • In Division I-FBS, typical expenditures on football alone (over $12 million) exceed the typical total expenditures for women's sports (over $8 million).

Last edited:
It's not something you can create for athletes only. This is SU's COA and note what I put in italics

So based on this SU would be able to give kids $2970 or am I reading this wrong?

You mean where amateurs only get paid well in the SEC?

Precisely! And don't forget the cars that some of them get. They need money for gas, too, you know!:p

CuseOnly said:
I read title IX before and I don't believe it says anything definitive about monetary expenditures of female and male sports having to be equal. That would be basically impossible considering the money spent on basketball and football. It seems to be more about participation and opportunity and equality in numbers of participants. From the National Women's Law Center website. http://www.nwlc.org/resource/debunking-myths-about-title-ix-and-athletics Myth: Title IX requires equal spending on women's and men's sports. Fact: Title IX does not require schools to spend the same amount of money on male and female athletes. Title IX requires schools to treat male and female athletes equally, but it recognizes that a football uniform costs more than a swimsuit. So it does not require that a school necessarily spend the same amount of money on uniforms for the swim team as for the football team. However, the school cannot provide men with top-notch uniforms and women with low-quality uniforms, or give male athletes home, away, and practice uniforms and female athletes only one set of uniforms. Myth: Title IX has gone too far. Fact: The playing field is far from level for female athletes, despite Title IX's considerable successes. Women's athletics programs still lag behind men's programs. While slightly more than half of the students in NCAA schools are women, they receive only 44% of the athletic participation opportunities. Moreover, female athletes at the typical Division I-FBS school receive roughly: [*]28% of the total money spent on athletics; [*]31% of the dollars spent to recruit new athletes; and [*]42% of the total athletic scholarship dollars. Spending on men's sports continues to dominate spending on women's sports: [*]At the typical Division I-FBS school, for every dollar spent on women's sports, almost two and a half dollars are spent on men's sports. [*]In Division I-FBS, typical expenditures on football alone (over $12 million) exceed the typical total expenditures for women's sports (over $8 million).

1. Scholarships: The total amount of athletic aid must be substantially proportionate to the ratio of female and male athletes. For example, consider a college with 90 female athletes and 115 male athletes and a scholarship budget of $100,000. An equitable distribution of funds would award $44,000 in scholarship aid to female athletes and $56,000 to males.

Even your quoted numbers say 42% of scholarship dollars go to females. So while it's not 1 for 1, football has a significant impact on the number of female scholarship athletes needed. I stand by my original estimate that there is probably closer to 200 scholarships. Thus COA impact could be twice what was estimated above.

I just ran the numbers for a hypothetical student from New York State who has an EFC (Expected Family Contribution) of $0 on Penn State's net price calculator. The NPC gave a cost for indirect expenses of $4,788.

Syracuse makes it much easier to find the Cost of Attendance data. Our indirect expense figure for the current year is $2,974. That is the figure we will use unless the Chancellor and Board decide to increase the indirect expense allowance across the board to the other 15,000 undergraduates.

1. Scholarships: The total amount of athletic aid must be substantially proportionate to the ratio of female and male athletes. For example, consider a college with 90 female athletes and 115 male athletes and a scholarship budget of $100,000. An equitable distribution of funds would award $44,000 in scholarship aid to female athletes and $56,000 to males.

Even your quoted numbers say 42% of scholarship dollars go to females. So while it's not 1 for 1, football has a significant impact on the number of female scholarship athletes needed. I stand by my original estimate that there is probably closer to 200 scholarships. Thus COA impact could be twice what was estimated above.

Not disputing the scholarship numbers but I would hate to put a number on "substantially proportionate". Is that 50-50, 60-40, 70-30? Seems very open to interpretation.

I always was under the impression that Female Athletes with the exception of Basketball were for the most part partials similar to how Lax works at SU.

Not disputing the scholarship numbers but I would hate to put a number on "substantially proportionate". Is that 50-50, 60-40, 70-30? Seems very open to interpretation.

I always was under the impression that Female Athletes with the exception of Basketball were for the most part partials similar to how Lax works at SU.

If I remember correctly at SU BB, FB, VB and maybe tennis? are all full or nothing when it comes to scholarships. It used to be that the w.sports like lax, soccer, etc received more total scholarships per sport than the men, but not sure if that is still the case.

CuseOnly said:
Not disputing the scholarship numbers but I would hate to put a number on "substantially proportionate". Is that 50-50, 60-40, 70-30? Seems very open to interpretation. I always was under the impression that Female Athletes with the exception of Basketball were for the most part partials similar to how Lax works at SU.

According to your numbers it is 42/58.

According to your numbers it is 42/58.

Those were from the Women's law center, I am just saying that using that terminology leaves it open to interpretation by the school and does not set any hard rules in that regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom