Could Calipari be a candidate for for the Lakers job? | Syracusefan.com

Could Calipari be a candidate for for the Lakers job?

SWFLCUSE

All Conference
I fell like Luke Walton could have a decent shot at the job, but I was looking at other possible candidates and came across Coach Cal's name. Is there any way he could leave UK for LA?

On a side note another name I saw that made me literally laugh out loud was Kobe Bryant. I don't know if I could ever see Kobe as the coach type. I could see him getting so frustrated with his team that he would try and check in himself.

I don't see it, the Lakers is a rebuilding job, he has a great gig now.

Briancuse said:
I don't see it, the Lakers is a rebuilding job, he has a great gig now.
I agree with you, but if I were playing devil's advocate I would argue that it's an opportunity to go to LA and really make his mark. They've got a couple good young pieces and should get a high pick if it doesn't fall out of the top three (Otherwise it goes to Philly).

They also only have about 62 million in cap space and could really make a splash. A few names that jump to my mind are KD(unrestricted), Drummond(restricted), Horford(unrestricted), Conley(unrestricted), Whiteside(unrestricted).

Now let's take a minute to imagine if they grabbed 2 of those 5 guys, say KD and Whiteside and drafted either Ingram, Hield, or Murray. That gives you a potential starting five of:
PG: Russell
SG: Hield
SF: KD
PF Randal
C: Whiteside

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone could do it, it would be the Lakers. It would be a hard offer to pass up for any coach.

I agree with you, but if I were playing devil's advocate I would argue that it's an opportunity to go to LA and really make his mark. They've got a couple good young pieces and should get a high pick if it doesn't fall out of the top three (Otherwise it goes to Philly).

They also only have about 62 million in cap space and could really make a splash. A few names that jump to my mind are KD(unrestricted), Drummond(restricted), Horford(unrestricted), Conley(unrestricted), Whiteside(unrestricted).

Now let's take a minute to imagine if they grabbed 2 of those 5 guys, say KD and Whiteside and drafted either Ingram, Hield, or Murray. That gives you a potential starting five of:
PG: Russell
SG: Hield
SF: KD
PF Randal
C: Whiteside

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone could do it, it would be the Lakers. It would be a hard offer to pass up for any coach.

How is he going to make his mark? They already have a billion titles, they are years away from being a championship team. I just don't see him leaving Lexington anytime soon.

How is he going to make his mark? They already have a billion titles, they are years away from being a championship team. I just don't see him leaving Lexington anytime soon.
I guess it's just me grasping at straws trying to get him out of the college game ASAP.

It would come down to how long he thinks he has at UK until the hammer comes down with sanctions. It appears right now that the NCAA has no interest whatever in bringing them or him to heel though.

I don't think Calipari is that great of a coach. With all the talent he gets every year they should be more dominate. I've always wondered if UK or KU somehow wire transfer money to players to come to their school. I just don't get how they can consistent get the top 1-3 person at each position. It just smells funny. Even on down years UK hauls in a 5 5-star recruits every year.

I don't think Calipari is that great of a coach. With all the talent he gets every year they should be more dominate. I've always wondered if UK or KU somehow wire transfer money to players to come to their school. I just don't get how they can consistent get the top 1-3 person at each position. It just smells funny. Even on down years UK hauls in a 5 5-star recruits every year.

Calipari pretty much already failed in the NBA, but he's a great college coach. He was ultra successful at UMass before he was pulling down great recruits year in and year out. And he almost always gets his kids to buy in and play real hard on defense, which considering how many kids he gets who have aspirations for for the NBA, is pretty impressive to me.

in 7 years at Kentucky, he's made the final four 4 times, plus another elite 8. Is he supposed to make the final four every year? It's still a single elimination tournament.

Cal leaves when the NCAA gets serious about looking into UK. That said his ego will eventually drive him to the NBA to erase his only basketball failure. Lakers job is interesting in that they have some picks and will be a draw with Kobe gone.

Have you ever been in person and watched his team play? They play hard. Whether it was UMass where he took them to a final four. Memphis, where he took them to the final four. Or kentucky, where he took them to the final four. The guy is slimy. But he can coach and his teams play hard.

Lakers will hire somebody like Luke Walton or Mark Jackson.

cal would not want to take a pay cut. uk will pay him WHATEVER it takes. anytime there is a rumor like this, its only a bargaining chip to get more $$. cal is NOT about the kids. he is a business who is all about himself and his brand. but arent we all like that outside mother theresa and francis so who are we to judge.

Calipari isn't going to the NBA. Why do you guys do this every year?

I think at some point he's going to go...because it's the only thing he hasn't achieved yet. And for hyper driven guys at the top of their field, that matters.

I think at some point he's going to go...because it's the only thing he hasn't achieved yet. And for hyper driven guys at the top of their field, that matters.

he did coach in the nba.

I think if they go after a college coach it'll be Kevin Ollie given his relationship with Kevin Durant.
ndy KatzESPN Senior Writer
katz_andy_m.jpg

UConn coach Kevin Ollie said Monday that he has had no contact with the Lakers. He said he will always listen if called but it would take "something very special" to pull him away from UConn. He added his daughter is in high school and his son is at nearby Fordham and family is very important to him. Ollie was recruiting in Indianapolis over the weekend.

Right, I know. I should have said "achieved success in the NBA"...He had a 72-112 record and was fired during his third season.

True but if he goes again and sucks, it will re-enforce the idea hes a used car salesman. Why not just go out a legend at uk.

Dave85 said:
I feel like it's a self fulfilling prophecy. Great players want to play with other great players and when you're offered one year of heavy minutes in college and then the possibility of being a first round pick it can be hard for a 17-18 year old to say no.

True but if he goes again and sucks, it will re-enforce the idea hes a used car salesman. Why not just go out a legend at uk.

Sure. It depends on how happy he is at UK and how much it bothers him that he washed out so bad with the nets.

Sure. It depends on how happy he is at UK and how much it bothers him that he washed out so bad with the nets.

He could always return back to CBB.

Btw, this is one incredible pic from the girls softball team:

042115_S_Softball_AllieWahl_SP.jpg

WOW!

I don't think it's far-fetched at all. Pete Carroll did it, failed in the pros, went back to college, then succeeded in the pros. The LA situation is almost tailor-made for Calipari. Loads of cap room, probably a top 2 pick in the draft, all the endorsement possibilities in Tinsel Town, a rolodex of ex-Kentucky players at his beck and call.

Hey, I've talked myself into it. Ladeez & gentlemen: your new Lakers' coach--Coach Cal.

cal would not want to take a pay cut. uk will pay him WHATEVER it takes. anytime there is a rumor like this, its only a bargaining chip to get more $$. cal is NOT about the kids. he is a business who is all about himself and his brand. but arent we all like that outside mother theresa and francis so who are we to judge.
This exactly. UK almost has to pay him whatever it takes. I truly can't think of somebody that could replace him there at this point and keep the "q" meter running. Maybe a guy like Kevin Ollie, but don't think he leaves UCONN for another college job. Jay Wright perhaps? Who else is there?

This exactly. UK almost has to pay him whatever it takes. I truly can't think of somebody that could replace him there at this point and keep the "q" meter running. Maybe a guy like Kevin Ollie, but don't think he leaves UCONN for another college job. Jay Wright perhaps? Who else is there?

That's a hell of a question. Obviously they'd take a run at...everyone. Shaka Smart? Gregg Marshall? Maybe Tony Bennett?