Could my off-the-wall idea actually come true? | Syracusefan.com

Could my off-the-wall idea actually come true?

SWC75

Bored Historian
While it would be better for the college game (and probably the $$ side of things as well.)

But how would it work from a scholarship perspective? Let's say for arguments sake next year Chris McCullough goes pro, and we fill his scholly with Bryant. Then CMC ends up in the DLeague and wants to come back, we don't have a scholarship, can he still come back? Could he go to say Texas because they had an open Scholly? What's to stop kids from declaring as a method for transfer (without sitting a year) if that's the case?

Lots of issues with the way it would have to get coordinated, but any opportunity to improve the game of college basketball by allowing the best players (well the almost best players) to come back and play, it would be amazing.

Heck, it would be great if it could be a real minor league and a kid like Ennis or Grants gets drafted as a Sophmore, but they tell the kid listen you aren't ready, but we think you will be, go back to the ACC for 2 more years of development. You know like they do with all these Europe guys that won't come over for 3 years because they only want their rights.

Then players could get small salaries from pro teams, but still get to play college ball. There has to be someway to make it work logistically I'm sure of that, but I'm not sure the best way to do it. You simply can't tell me it wouldn't be better for NCAA ratings if Ennis and Grant were wearing Orange this year. There's a way I'm sure of it, I just am not smart enough to think of how to make it work.

Here's an article about what Mark Emmert of the NCAA said recently:
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/12/10/mark-emmert-ncaa-nba-d-league-players?xid=nl_siextra

That sounds a lot like something I mentioned on "Bud and the Manchild" last week:
http://syracusefan.com/threads/just-back-from-the-show.83867/

And then asked Jim Boeheim about that night:
http://syracusefan.com/threads/the-jim-boeheim-show-after-michigan.83886/

I just figured you were hired as one of Emmert's advisors, then I realized he's not intelligent enough to hire people smarter than him.

emmert needs to be fired. sorry he totally blew the psu debacle, ncaa is still mired in a confusing mass of meaningless over regulation. they need to be dismantled, streamlined, re-assembled with jay bilas in charge.

I don't know what the D-league paychecks are like for draftees, but I don't see too many players throwing that money away for another year in college.

Pipe dream, IMO

I don't know what the D-league paychecks are like for draftees, but I don't see too many players throwing that money away for another year in college.

Pipe dream, IMO

While it would be better for the college game (and probably the $$ side of things as well.)

But how would it work from a scholarship perspective? Let's say for arguments sake next year Chris McCullough goes pro, and we fill his scholly with Bryant. Then CMC ends up in the DLeague and wants to come back, we don't have a scholarship, can he still come back? Could he go to say Texas because they had an open Scholly? What's to stop kids from declaring as a method for transfer (without sitting a year) if that's the case?

Lots of issues with the way it would have to get coordinated, but any opportunity to improve the game of college basketball by allowing the best players (well the almost best players) to come back and play, it would be amazing.

Heck, it would be great if it could be a real minor league and a kid like Ennis or Grants gets drafted as a Sophmore, but they tell the kid listen you aren't ready, but we think you will be, go back to the ACC for 2 more years of development. You know like they do with all these Europe guys that won't come over for 3 years because they only want their rights.

Then players could get small salaries from pro teams, but still get to play college ball. There has to be someway to make it work logistically I'm sure of that, but I'm not sure the best way to do it. You simply can't tell me it wouldn't be better for NCAA ratings if Ennis and Grant were wearing Orange this year. There's a way I'm sure of it, I just am not smart enough to think of how to make it work.
I agree...there's got to be a way. I like it as an option. If an NBA team wants to draft a kid and leave in college for a couple years that would be great for both the NBA and NCAA. Probably not so much for the player though. One way would be to allow each school a number of eligibility exceptions , (maybe 2) where those player's scholarships are paid for by the NBA team drafting them. They still have to stay academically eligible but for some it might be a better option than $17k in the D-League. It works in other sports. There are all kinds of draft picks playing NCAA hockey and baseball.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the idea of allowing D league players back into college, but why not start with a more basic step. Don't make kids give up their eligibility to get drafted. Let them go through the draft process and if they don't get drafted or don't get drafted in a position that is satisfactory to them allow them to continue their college careers. I don't see how doing that would be anything but good for college basketball and college athletes.

I agree...there's got to be a way. I like it as an option. If an NBA team wants to draft a kid and leave in college for a couple years that would be great for both the NBA and NCAA. Probably not so much for the player though. One way would be to allow each school a number of eligibility exceptions , (maybe 2) where those player's scholarships are paid for by the NBA team drafting them. They still have to stay academically eligible but for some it might be a better option than $40k in the D-League. It works in other sports. There are all kinds of draft picks playing NCAA hockey and baseball.

I don't think there are any draft picks playing baseball; kids get drafted but if they don't sign with the MLB team that drafted them, they don't control his rights. I can't speak to the draft deal with hockey.

It's an interesting idea; but NBA teams also might want the kids they draft to be working with their own coaches, etc.

I don't think there are any draft picks playing baseball; kids get drafted but if they don't sign with the MLB team that drafted them, they don't control his rights. I can't speak to the draft deal with hockey.

It's an interesting idea; but NBA teams also might want the kids they draft to be working with their own coaches, etc.
My point was there are kids who had been drafted playing in college. I understand I'm implying the team may retain rights which may not necessarily work. Its one of the issues they'd need to work out.

Ahh my last post was wrong. The average D league salary is 17,300.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/201...-maximum-nba-d-league-player-salary-increased

Or you can come back to college.

douglas-cash.jpg

My point was there are kids who had been drafted playing in college. I understand I'm implying the team may retain rights which may not necessarily work. Its one of the issues they'd need to work out.

There wouldn't be that much to work out if you just let the kids who don't sign with a team, or otherwise take money, retain their eligibility. Maybe the NCAA creates a fund that pays the expenses of all players to attend whatever workouts the NBA wants to conduct to evaluate players.

Unless the NBA allowed kids to be drafted at a certain age say 19 and then allow teams to retain those kids rights until they wanted to turn pro.

The Boston Celtics drafted Larry Bird as Junior-Eligible for the draft in 1979 he remained in college for his Senior year and led Indiana State to the NC game against Magic and Michigan State.

Celtics fans watched Bird that whole year blow and loved that Red Auerbach gambled on Larry Bird because he had two first round picks that year. Bird was eligible for the draft because he transferred from Indiana and was a year older.

Just allow kids to be drafted at 19 and if they want to go pro then leave, but if they want to stay go ahead. Teams could retain their rights for up to 1 year after the kid wanted to turn pro. Make rookie contracts up to 5 years if you leave when your 19, 4 years if you leave when your 20, 3 years if your 21, 2 years if your 22. So kids getting to their 2nd contract aren't incentized to leave and the NBA gets more developed players.

The NCAA can't regulate the rules they have, so the last thing they need is something that is this complicated. For example, what if said player takes endorsement money, how does that impact their return to college? If basketball players are allowed to keep it, do all other athletes? Can a soccer player go to Europe and play and retain eligibility? Lots of loopholes to try and close...

You could do things much easier with changing the draft rights. NHL draftees rights are held by the teams and every spring you see NCAA hockey players leave early and start playing in the pros (Krieder and Gaudreau from BC are recent examples).

The MLB rule is that if you don't sign out of HS, then your draft rights are lost and you enter again after 3 years of college.

Emmert is so desperate to keep his job that he's saying dumber and dumber things by the day.

Maybe kids who apply for the draft and then aren't selected in both the 1st and 2nd round and have to become an undrafted free agent could/would come back. I think the pay scale for undrafted players in the D league is like $40k maximum. But no kid who is drafted would come back to college and give up the pay check just because they got sent to the D league. 1st round picks get guaranteed millions and 2nd rounders who stick (even if being sent to the D league) get hundreds of thousands.

Pipe dream, IMO
If they have a guaranteed contract they make whatever that is. First rounders are getting their NBA pay, not d-league money.

so Ennis, under this system, could come back to SU next year and just play ball? What about classes LOL. Would these kids just be on campus but not be actual students? I feel like GPA stuff with the NCAA would be an issue as well.

so Ennis, under this system, could come back to SU next year and just play ball? What about classes LOL. Would these kids just be on campus but not be actual students? I feel like GPA stuff with the NCAA would be an issue as well.
Under my proposal Ennis looks at where is drafted and realizes going back to college and getting tons of PT could be better than sitting on the bench and getting paid. His FA for a 2nd contract doesn't come faster by going to the NBA right away, but if he wants the $$$ he can go or if he wants to play college ball one more his clock to FA is still the same and he could be more polished to make an immediate impact in the NBA.

It comes down to do you just want the $$$ or better to play and contribute sooner and be more finished to get more money in a second contract.

Let's not forget my concept:
I have already come up with a fantastic method for avoiding the one & done situations we see all the time.

My concept is incentive based, & requires flexibility by the NCAA.

It's this simple:

• Allow NBA teams to draft a player currently in college, & let them stay in college as long as their eligibility & desire to stay remains.
  • Pay them in an interest bearing escrow account during their college time that cannot be cashed in until they complete college, & the account will incur a 50% penalty for leaving college before your Junior season. However, if they stay for the entire 4 years in college, the NBA & NCAA will reward them with a 25% bonus to the account.
  • Although drafted by an NBA team, the college draftee cannot practice or play with his team or any other NBA squad.

This is the answer, & we must institute the plan immediately !!!

Just allow kids to be drafted at 19 and if they want to go pro then leave, but if they want to stay go ahead. Teams could retain their rights for up to 1 year after the kid wanted to turn pro. Make rookie contracts up to 5 years if you leave when your 19, 4 years if you leave when your 20, 3 years if your 21, 2 years if your 22. So kids getting to their 2nd contract aren't incentized to leave and the NBA gets more developed players.
I have been proposing this for years. (At least 5) Also making the contract length even longer to allow teams who take a chance on a young kid to reap some benefits by having him longer before he gets to free agency. So a 19 year old would have a 7 year contact, 20 a 7 year. (Based on a college sr getting a 3 year contract). As it is now, one of the smaller teams can draft a kid and have his services for only 3 years, the length of time it might take him to develop as a star, then lose him to free agency.

It's obvious. They do this in the NHL. Loads of kids playing in college are property of an NHL team. They get called up in the offseason and if they're not good enough yet, they get sent back down.

As the NCAA crumbles we will begin to realize how stupid every single thing they did was.

Under my proposal Ennis looks at where is drafted and realizes going back to college and getting tons of PT could be better than sitting on the bench and getting paid. His FA for a 2nd contract doesn't come faster by going to the NBA right away, but if he wants the $$$ he can go or if he wants to play college ball one more his clock to FA is still the same and he could be more polished to make an immediate impact in the NBA.

It comes down to do you just want the $$$ or better to play and contribute sooner and be more finished to get more money in a second contract.

Or the NBA could draft the players and hold their rights but not have to offer them a contract for a 2-3 year period like the NHL. This way every player can make themselves eligible for the draft every year, and if they get drafted they can stay in college and develop. If they are good enough, then the NBA team can sign them and call them up to the big leagues or the D league.

Give the kids some options for crying out loud. Right now, the NCAA forces them to gamble their future on the draft. It's sick what they make the kids do. "Gamble on the draft but if you don't get drafted you can't come back." What the hell is that? Sounds a lot like trying to scare kids out of leaving college.

Edit: Or just have every 18 year old declare for the draft on their draft year. Make the draft 7 rounds. Why the hell not? What is this 2 round nonsense the NBA does, then have practically nowhere to develop the talent. College teams are free farm teams for the NBA. Why not draft 7 guys every year and see what they become in college?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom