Coyle leaving for Minnesota AD job | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Coyle leaving for Minnesota AD job

Available
th
Yes, we need our own dumpster fire!

But if you were offered the opportunity to GO HOME like Coyle was you'd definitely go
We all would
I thought he was from Iowa.

"I'm hopeful (those in Syracuse) understand what Minnesota meant to me and what this opportunity means for me and my family," Coyle said.

What a fraud, joke, coward, poser, and weak minded doushe. Seriously Mark. Family reasons? We are supposed to buy that when you come out on your Minny presser and talk abour "opportunity "? You arent Cuse material. It takes some balls, intelligence, and a personality to be the AD at Cuse. Go to the Midwest where just a pulse and a necktie will get you loved. The same fans as St. Louis Cardinal fans that pamper and coddle their players and cheer them outta 0-20 slumps. You belong in Softville, USA. Congrats.
Amazing statement. We should understand that more pay at Minn is a big opportunity for him. What an idiot. I predict that he will not last long at Minn. He should save his money; his career is not going to be long. This is a person devoid of loyalty and honesty. In short, a politician, not a Director.

Usually hiring the head of a multi-million dollar department followed by all of "his people" and instituting his policies takes some time to undo. It's a giant ocean liner that was starting to turn - the next AD may want to turn it in another direction. Disruption.

And no one outside of the Golden Rodents press conference is giving him an ounce of credit for our most competitive year. That goes to Gross and the coaches/players.

Who said anything about credit? You talked about the competency of the DEPARTMENT. Do you really think that the SU athletic department is some gigantic under performing organization? It's a couple of

And why assume anything needs to be undone? Coyle was brought in to address football, compliance, and spending. The new guy isn't going to want to do anything different on the first two and the third is a long term issue.

Whoever is getting this job is not stepping into chaotic situation with a bunch of poorly performing programs, unlike say, the Rutgers job.

Who said anything about credit? You talked about the competency of the DEPARTMENT. Do you really think that the SU athletic department is some gigantic under performing organization? It's a couple of

And why assume anything needs to be undone? Coyle was brought in to address football, compliance, and spending. The new guy isn't going to want to do anything different on the first two and the third is a long term issue.

Whoever is getting this job is not stepping into chaotic situation with a bunch of poorly performing programs, unlike say, the Rutgers job.
Coyle's move certainly gave the impression of chaos, but you might be right. He was in the middle of SA support and compliance realignment, so there's some work there. There's also moving past the NCAA probation for BB (sanctions winding down). And the Dome reno/campus master plan ... that's certainly not going to be simple. FB's headed in the right direction, with ST's up and a promising coach. Some challenges remain there, but also great opportunities for a new AD (let's hire someone without "truth" and "stability" issues this time).

i just can't muster a freakout over this. i care about football and basketball and I care who the AD hires there. that stuff is set. syverud will hire someone reasonable who won't set everything on fire. it's not some job where it's incredibly hard to replace somebody.

Coyle felt it was a cluster.

Millhouse said:
i just can't muster a freakout over this. i care about football and basketball and I care who the AD hires there. that stuff is set. syverud will hire someone reasonable who won't set everything on fire. it's not some job where it's incredibly hard to replace somebody.

Babers was clearly upset.

Coyle hired him. I think he sensed Coyle had his back and would support him.

A bigger deal than you think.

JB was shocked, but he's seen so much here, he'll get over it quickly.

As for it not being hard to replace someone, I sorta disagree. We're not hiring someone to flip hamburgers. It's the AD of a prominent program.

AD hires matter.

Ha!

As unpopular as it might be on this board, I think that Tim Pernetti would be a pretty good hire for the program. He got a lot accomplished at Rutgers and besides the Mike Rice situation didn't really do much wrong there.

I know Herman Frazier personally.

I know a lot more about him I suspect than you do.

And, I am pretty sure I know more about what he does and what he has done in terms of scheduling.

And based upon what I know, I think he has done a very good job.
Fantastic. Then knowing him as well as you do, could you provide some insight into to the reasons we are perennially the last P5 school to complete a full schedule every year?

The buck stops with the guy in charge. If he is in charge if scheduling, there is only one person to point the finger at.

Then we can nuke the schedule complaint threads on here.

We'll hire someone good and move on. Execs leave all the time, SU has had an atypical amount of long-term coaches and senior administrators.

There is dysfunction in just about every organization on the planet, so the "cluster" stuff rings hollow to me. I've worked with Apple, their org is a cluster, and they're most valuable company on Earth. Whatever.

Really hate to hear that. Thought those problems would be corrected under Syverud.
Since he was feeling up Minnesota back in January - he was able able to conclude a cluster existed in his first 6 months on the job - and included in that six months was a team effort in hiring a new FB coach, Olympic sports doing great and men's and women's BB teams going to the FF And was able to bring over a number of his people. Yeah - sounds like a cluster, except the cluster was Mark Coyle.

When I was in school there actually was a small fire in our frat house which made the local paper. The number of term papers lost was inordinately high. Really really high.
Toga, which fraternity?

We'll hire someone good and move on. Execs leave all the time, SU has had an atypical amount of long-term coaches and senior administrators.

There is dysfunction in just about every organization on the planet, so the "cluster" stuff rings hollow to me. I've worked with Apple, their org is a cluster, and they're most valuable company on Earth. Whatever.

not to mention this place wasn't going to compete w more money and "home"...who cares at this point what other faux reasons for leaving are. It was money and home.

We will get someone else who is good. If Babers leaves because of it, so be it. Last i saw he's won zero games so far. Let's chill out before the world ends. I've already said if Dino can win 10 games and wants to leverage it into something better we have no way to stop it. Let's hope it's 4-5 years away so there is a built up good will in the new up tempo that someone else can build on top of it.

GoSU96 said:
Who said anything about credit? You talked about the competency of the DEPARTMENT. Do you really think that the SU athletic department is some gigantic under performing organization? It's a couple of And why assume anything needs to be undone? Coyle was brought in to address football, compliance, and spending. The new guy isn't going to want to do anything different on the first two and the third is a long term issue. Whoever is getting this job is not stepping into chaotic situation with a bunch of poorly performing programs, unlike say, the Rutgers job.

Simmer down. I wasn't ragging on your boy Marrone.

1. You can have competent coaches and good programs, while having lower competency in other areas (advertising, fan experience, budgeting, etc). There is work to be done for the department to match the growth of our non-revenue sports.

2. New people have new systems, different ways things are done. I doubt Coyle had time do everything he had planned, but he took steps in directions that you and I have no idea will be done the way the new person wants. Lots of ways to get the budget where you want it. Lots of ways you see fan engagement going. Lots of ways you see fundraising going.

3. Didn't say it was chaotic situation.

jr4750 said:
Really hate to hear that. Thought those problems would be corrected under Syverud.

It's a big ship that turns around very slowly.

Coyle felt it was a cluster.

I am not so sure about SU being a cluster. Coyles' background was working in a state school environment...Kentucky, Minnie, and Boise St. Access to money, fan/booster support and politics are different in that type of setting than a private university. I think he had buyers' remorse, as I have been told that he started looking around almost as soon as he took the job, as he realized SU was not the same type of situation he was used to working. So the first opportunity to go back to a state school he fled.

Simmer down. I wasn't ragging on your boy Marrone.

1. You can have competent coaches and good programs, while having lower competency in other areas (advertising, fan experience, budgeting, etc). There is work to be done for the department to match the growth of our non-revenue sports.

2. New people have new systems, different ways things are done. I doubt Coyle had time do everything he had planned, but he took steps in directions that you and I have no idea will be done the way the new person wants. Lots of ways to get the budget where you want it. Lots of ways you see fan engagement going. Lots of ways you see fundraising going.

3. Didn't say it was chaotic situation.

Wow organizations can do well in some areas and have room for improvement in others, who knew? You must worked at McKinsey to pick up that special kind of insight.

I am not so sure about SU being a cluster. Coyles' background was working in a state school environment...Kentucky, Minnie, and Boise St. Access to money, fan/booster support and politics are different in that type of setting than a private university. I think he had buyers' remorse, as I have been told that he started looking around almost as soon as he took the job, as he realized SU was not the same type of situation he was used to working. So the first opportunity to go back to a state school he fled.

Makes sense. SU presents as having state school-like qualities, given our success and attendance. But of course we have private school realities that aren't always apparent to outsiders.

CuseLegacy said:
Whoever the look at is going to have to be comfortable not putting their stamp on the program for awhile. No conf switch, no coaching selections for the 2 big programs, Olympic programs already revitalized and by all accounts no input on the dome renovation. Seems likebit could be a tough sell