Coyle leaving for Minnesota AD job | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Coyle leaving for Minnesota AD job

I guess the email from Syracuse settles whether or not anyone from your school knew in advance that Coyle was planning to leave. Evidently he didn't disclose that to anyone, not even the chancellor.

But are you sure he misjudged the Syracuse position? Is it possible that Minnesota was a job he'd always wanted? You know, some of us who have lived there think Minnesota is really great. Some people even move away and then come back.

That great and can understand him wanting to take the job and go "home" ect...All that is fine. But there are professional ways to do things. Professional ways to leave a situation you and your family may be unhappy in. We are salty not because he left but how he left. What person speaks of honesty and stability then just leaves a school without informing his employer or employees in a timely fashion. Some of his major employees "head football coach" " head basketball coach" found out he left from the media. Spineless and Amateur Hour come to mind. That is what kind of person now in charge of your athletic department. Good luck.

Im not saying it is a cluster, but that's how he felt and I've posted some things earlier in the thread.
Per SUGO96, there are challenges but certainly not 'house-on-fire' level problems. First of all, at least b/f Coyle started internet surfing, he made a great FB hire. All indications are that Babers is a perfect fit here. So that's a big piece of the puzzle that a new AD doesn't have to worry about. BB has some recruiting limits winding down. There too, most of the tumult has ebbed and the program bounced back in a huge way last year. The other Olympic sports ... speak for themselves. Stellar.

So really much of the "cluster" Coyle perceived is fictional. Some end-stage compliance and SA support tweaks (nothing unusual for an AD) and guiding us through the Dome re-do and campus master plan. How to spend millions of dollars improving a famous indoor venue and beautifying the campus ... I would think most prospective AD's would be very happy to navigate through those challenges.

Last edited:
Per SU96, there are challenges but certainly not 'house-on-fire' level problems. First of all, at least b/f Coyle started internet surfing, he made a great FB hire. All indications are that Babers is a perfect fit here. So that's a big piece of the puzzle that a new AD doesn't have to worry about. BB has some recruiting limits winding down. There too, most of the tumult has ebbed and the program bounced back in a huge way last year. The other Olympic sports ... speak for themselves. Stellar.

So really much of the "cluster" Coyle perceived is fictional. Some end-stage compliance and SA support tweaks (nothing unusual for an AD) and guiding us through the Dome re-do and campus master plan. How to spend millions of dollars improving a famous indoor venue and beautifying the campus ... I would think most prospective AD's would be very happy to navigate through those challenges.

I think he was talking more about marketing, infrastructure, fund raising, etc. not necessarily on field stuff.

I think he was talking more about marketing, infrastructure, fund raising, etc. not necessarily on field stuff.
So, I guess those things aren't in an AD's wheelhouse. Who knew?

As others have said, it's how he left and how soon.

He didn't tell a soul, not even the personnel he brought with him from Boise. Cunningham didn't even know and he could step into his shoes and could have certainly filled in at the ACC meetings.

I had heard previosuly that the AD office and the football staff didn't exactly love each other.

That said the new ticket guy they have is going to do things with getting busts in seats for football games in the coming years.

The AD office said they are "business as usual" yesterday afternoon.

It will all be good, but has my Minnesota brother in law said when I told him the news "we hired him so he must not be good, you can thank us later".

We'll be fine, it was just a shock when it happened.

I guess the email from Syracuse settles whether or not anyone from your school knew in advance that Coyle was planning to leave. Evidently he didn't disclose that to anyone, not even the chancellor.

But are you sure he misjudged the Syracuse position? Is it possible that Minnesota was a job he'd always wanted? You know, some of us who have lived there think Minnesota is really great. Some people even move away and then come back.

I'm not saying the Minnesota gig is a bad one. Simply, if Coyle takes the Cuse job and looks to leave within two months, I feel he has some character issues - namely a lack of integrity. I understand that people need to look out for themselves, but Coyle should have never committed to the Cuse job if he was secretly coveting the Minnesota job. Then again, I'm big on integrity. I guess Coyle will never work for me.

I'm thinking we may have dodged a bullet. At some point the universe has to level out the karma it delivers. 'cuse has taken it's share of body blows over the past 5 years, time for the pendulum to swing in the other direction

rrlbees said:
Im not saying it is a cluster, but that's how he felt and I've posted some things earlier in the thread.

I wonder what's better (leaving comp out of he equation for a second, which I know is hard to do)

Better to have a neat, orderly AD that doesn't win anything?

Or a messy one that seems to have hit a groove in the last couple years, except I guess in Football (although, ironically, we just beat them in a Bowl game) on the field, court, etc

I'm sure every school complains about their AD

bcubs9497 said:
Coyle's a douchebag because of the manner in which he fired Shafer and staff, the manner in which he let the kids know about the firing, and the complete lack of courtesy and respect shown to Babers (him finding out via the press).

The next time someone says a firing went well will be the first.

That was one of the things I liked about Coyle.

Rip off the band aid and move on. Everyone will survive.

reedny said:
Hard to know what he's referring to by "infrastructure" (if not the Dome), and I'm not familiar enough with fund-raising to know what the (perceived) problems for Coyle were. Gross seemed to flourish in those areas (and he's still there).

Organizational structure is probably a better word.

rrlbees said:

Wasn't Gross supposed to be spearheading some of that now? Thought that was his strength.

That's the exact reason he was hired, no?

Gross was a mess in these areas. It was his job to fix it - and fix football.

He made a good first step in getting - what appears to be - a good hire for football.

Instead of fighting and digging in for the long haul, he went running for the Midwest.

Good riddance.

I fully support this initiative!
No thickburgers involved?
big-boob-problems.jpg

cuseguy said:
Wasn't Gross supposed to be spearheading some of that now? Thought that was his strength.

I don't know what he's doing except teaching a course that students say is an easy A.

Has anyone heard anything from Dino? He is the one this affects the most. It just seemed like this might have been an opportunity to come out and say he's still committed for the long haul and gain even more good will from fans and the community.

"Getting busts in seats." That's a brilliant strategy. Why didn't anybody think of this before?

Statues? How about orange blow up dolls. Inflatable fans to fill the Dome.

Organizational structure is probably a better word.
Like this......
To view this email as a web page, go here.
New+FB+header.png

MyCuse Account: 25 or 6 to 4

We are grateful for your support of Syracuse Athletics! In thanks for that support, through your season ticket purchase and/or Orange Club donation, we have a special pre-sale opportunity to ensure you have the access to the best single game seats for our home football games. Please follow the directions below to order your tickets for individual football games at discounts up to 20% off the general public single game price!

The general public on-sale starts June 21, giving you a one-month advantage due to your loyalty and support. This opportunity will be available on your MyCuse account starting Tuesday, May 24 at 10:00 am through 10:00 pm on Friday, June 10, 2016.

To order tickets:

• Log into your MyCuse Account, click on "Buy Packages/Tickets" near the top, then choose thehome game(s) you are interested in (please use the Shopping Cart feature for multiple games).

• Buy in person at the Carrier Dome Box Office (business hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, M-F).

• For disability seating or special requests, please contact the box office (888-DOMETIX, press option "zero").
Thank you for your continued support of Syracuse University Athletics!

Sincerely,The Carrier Dome Box Office

Last edited:
Coyle is a sneaky bastard in the way we hired him also. I will not get into how I know,but Coyle's name never came up in the H.R. dept. when they were vetting other candidates. I was told only two people were negotiating with Coyle when we hired and the H.R. dept. first heard the news the day the press announced him.

Minnesota will never be safe if a real job opens up in the near future.