Coyle's Decision (a.k.a. some folks should probably calm down a little)... | Syracusefan.com

Coyle's Decision (a.k.a. some folks should probably calm down a little)...

Scooch

Living Legend
I've seen several people post that Coyle's decision about our next head coach is 'the biggest decision of his life' and 'will define him', etc. I think some people are being a bit dramatic. It's a very important hire, as every football head coaching hire is at a P5 school, but as I figure it the football HC decision may be the 6th most important thing Coyle is tasked with as AD. "6th?!?!" you may be saying? Yes, 6th. Possibly.

I have no insider knowledge, so I'd welcome those that do to aggressively correct me, but it would not surprise me at all if this is the order in which SU places importance on Coyle's responsibilities as AD...

1. Compliance

I believe Syverud and the BOT were thoroughly embarrassed by our latest NCAA sanctions. Not that they agree with the severity of punishment, of course, which is ludicrous. I get the sense that they place much more of the blame on the athletic department than on Boeheim, I suspect that was a major factor that led to Gross's removal as AD, and that the #1 job of any AD hire was to ensure something like that never happens again.

2. Budget

By all accounts Gross spent far too freely. Syverud has been demanding more accountability from all departments, and no doubt Coyle has been tasked to audit the AD spending and make sure it is done more efficiently in the future.

3. Fundraising

It seemed that Gross employed a high risk/high reward strategy in fundraising. There had been much less attention paid to grass roots efforts than to schmoozing and landing whales. Coyle has substantial experience here and it seems that SU has prioritized expanding and diversifying our donor base.

4. Facilities

While much improvement has been made here: (a) there is still work to be done and (b) I get the sense that not all of what has been done has been paid for (see #2 and #3). I also imagine that if the massive Dome renovations occur as rumored that a large responsibility of Coyle's will be to shepherd the athletic department through a multi-year process of significant logistical complexity.

5. Basketball transition

SU is a hoops school. Period. The Orange has been the 5th most popular college basketball team in the country for several years running, we attract nearly 450K a year in home attendance, and hoops is the primary alumni connection mechanism. It is critical that the program continue to operate at a high level when Boeheim retires, and Coyle must make sure that Hopkins has every resource at his disposal in order to do so.

6. Football

And here we are. While this is a very important hire, I find the talk that if we don't hit a home run here means that 'it'll take another decade to possibly be good again' or that 'Coyle won't be around to make another hire' overwrought. If he executes on the aforementioned 5 things the SU athletic department will be in tremendous shape. If this hire doesn't produce the desired results he'll try again. That's life.

Needless to say I could be wrong in all of this. I've just found some of the talk here rather overheated. This hire is important but it's not life or death, nor may it even be career defining. We've had a flourishing athletics department despite football being largely moribund for 15 years - poor results from this hire won't sink the ship. If anything, good football is a bonus at this point.

Darryl Gross made three football hires, and missed on two. The one he did get right, if I am to understand correctly, was not his choice.

And then he was out ...for reasons not related to football.

Not so fast, my friend!
With respect to football this decision will tell us if the BOT is serious or still willing to be a doormat. The VT deal for Fuentes is 6-years starting at $3.2 million and rising to $3.65 in the last year. AND includes a pool of $3.4 for staff.

Houston and Memphis put $3 million deals on the table and WMU is about to offer a huge deal to keep Rhule.

Our peers are pushing chips into the pot. What we do here will determine Syracuse football for a minimum of 6 years if not longer. You can calm down if you choose, but I will wait to see how serious the BOT really is.

Not so fast, my friend!
With respect to football this decision will tell us if the BOT is serious or still willing to be a doormat. The VT deal for Fuentes is 6-years starting at $3.2 million and rising to $3.65 in the last year. AND includes a pool of $3.4 for staff.

Houston and Memphis put $3 million deals on the table and WMU is about to offer a huge deal to keep Rhule.

Our peers are pushing chips into the pot. What we do here will determine Syracuse football for a minimum of 6 years if not longer. You can calm down if you choose, but I will wait to see how serious the BOT really is.

They are very serious, they have a barrel for nickle deposits at the school to be used to get a big time HC.

Good post Scooch. I fear that points 2 and 3 might be a reason why Syracuse will not push in for a 3mil per yr HC. SU needs to get an overhaul in the ways they generate revenue and spend money. For example, has anyone seen either the Orange, or White football jerseys for sale? Can we get an option to buy the M. Soccer or W. Ice Hockey jerseys?

I am not a regular poster on this board by any means, but have very much been a lurker for close to 15 years, so you can take my opinion for what it's worth...

Scooch, very good posting. The order in which you listed and described Coyle's priorities looks to be right on. However, coming from Boise State which had experienced a great deal of Football success, do you think it's possible that the Football program, considering the gross profits that a successful program can generate, might have been moved ahead of the basketball program on the list?

The fact that he moved to replace Shafer so quickly this season makes me wonder if his focus, and possible hiring all together, might be geared towards bringing the football program back to respectability?

I am not a regular poster on this board by any means, but have very much been a lurker for close to 15 years, so you can take my opinion for what it's worth...

Scooch, very good posting. The order in which you listed and described Coyle's priorities looks to be right on. However, coming from Boise State which had experienced a great deal of Football success, do you think it's possible that the Football program, considering the gross profits that a successful program can generate, might have been moved ahead of the basketball program on the list?

The fact that he moved to replace Shafer so quickly this season makes me wonder if his focus, and possible hiring all together, might be geared towards bringing the football program back to respectability?

I think that's absolutely a possibility. It may be wrong of me to list those things 1 to 6 and make it seem like football is an afterthought. That's not really my intention, and it's quite possible that all 6 of those things carry equal importance.

I guess my point was just to temper those that have been suggesting that if this hire is anything but a grand slam then the AD is doomed.

Bryan Harsin, Boise St. Head Coach, is making $1M per year at a G5 commuter school. This was a contract done by Coyle. I will be floored if the salary we pay is less than $2M/year, but I'm guessing it will be $2.5M based on market conditions.

Not so fast, my friend!

I'm not sure that what I posted and what you posted are at odds. I agree that we need to pay what it takes for Coyle to land his primary choice, and we need to give the new head coach an appropriate pool of money to build the staff that he wants.

We may do all that, and the new coach still may not get us the desired results in terms of wins. My point is if that happens I don't expect Coyle to be fired, or that our program is then doomed for all eternity, which is what some have been suggesting.

The reality in sports today is that football is where the money is. We need to be competitive in that arena. Syracuse has a rich football history, and amazing legacy of all-time greats -- there's no reason to think we can't be back as a regular top 25 team with the right leadership and recruiting. Investing in football will pay back the University big time, if successful.

The reality in sports today is that football is where the money is. We need to be competitive in that arena. Syracuse has a rich football history, and amazing legacy of all-time greats -- there's no reason to think we can't be back as a regular top 25 team with the right leadership and recruiting. Investing in football will pay back the University big time, if successful.

Indeed. We are making real money now from ACC TV deals, that is mostly from football even though the ACC is a hoops rich conference. We are on the verge of a major Dome upgrade. Coyle has all the missions Scooch listed on his plate. Football is arguably number 1. That's where the money is.

I'm not sure that what I posted and what you posted are at odds. I agree that we need to pay what it takes for Coyle to land his primary choice, and we need to give the new head coach an appropriate pool of money to build the staff that he wants.

We may do all that, and the new coach still may not get us the desired results in terms of wins. My point is if that happens I don't expect Coyle to be fired, or that our program is then doomed for all eternity, which is what some have been suggesting.

It is all about the money we are willing to spend on head coach and staff.
  1. IF we go cheap AGAIN, the football program will be done. another 3-5 years and we will be a permanent laughing stock and be unable to hire anybody as we will continue to be considered a coaching graveyard.
  2. Even if we get lucky with a bargain price staff, they will leave as soon as they achieve any success.
  3. On the other hand, if we fire and miss at competitive levels ($6 million HC and staff) we get to fire again.
If we are content to be a basketball school with a HOF coach about to retire, we are nuts. What happens if BB magic begins to fade? What then?

Many of the other bullet points are not rocket science and competent ADs do them every day. Hiring the right Head Football Coach is the single most important thing that will define Coyle for years to come. No matter what else he does, if he wiffs here, he will undo any accomplishments in other areas. The football program is the horse and the other things are just carts. Do football right and budget, fundraising etc all get easier. fail and not so much.

1. IF we go cheap AGAIN, the football program will be done. another 3-5 years and we will be a permanent laughing stock and be unable to hire anybody as we will continue to be considered a coaching graveyard.
  2. Even if we get lucky with a bargain price staff, they will leave as soon as they achieve any success.
  3. On the other hand, if we fire and miss at competitive levels ($6 million HC and staff) we get to fire again.
If we are content to be a basketball school with a HOF coach about to retire, we are nuts. What happens if BB magic begins to fade? What then?

Many of the other bullet points are not rocket science and competent ADs do them every day. Hiring the right Head Football Coach is the single most important thing that will define Coyle for years to come. No matter what else he does, if he wiffs here, he will undo any accomplishments in other areas. The football program is the horse and the other things are just carts. Do football right and budget, fundraising etc all get easier. fail and not so much.
Excellent post!

Crusty said:
Not so fast, my friend! With respect to football this decision will tell us if the BOT is serious or still willing to be a doormat. The VT deal for Fuentes is 6-years starting at $3.2 million and rising to $3.65 in the last year. AND includes a pool of $3.4 for staff. Houston and Memphis put $3 million deals on the table and WMU is about to offer a huge deal to keep Rhule. Our peers are pushing chips into the pot. What we do here will determine Syracuse football for a minimum of 6 years if not longer. You can calm down if you choose, but I will wait to see how serious the BOT really is.

Aren't those guys all HCs? We won't pay that much to a OC.

Football failure will NEVER undo the men's cross country or women's field hockey championships!!!

Aren't those guys all HCs? We won't pay that much to a OC.
We have to be willing to pay for the guy we want. There are certainly different prices for different HCs but probably not as much a spread between OCs from high powered programs to Group of 5 HCs.They are in great demand and many will not come here. Also, the staff should not be budgeted off of the HC salary. $6 million is the median (or should I say was) for HC and staff.

We will see soon enough.

So, seeing that "hiring a football coach" is a task he will hopefully do once every 3-4 years (and that timeframe only happens if the pick is VERY successful, or Vice versa); also adding in that football was/is a large driver for conference realignment (and university prestige, and massive real and potential associated tv $); remembering that football is one of two "revenue" sports we offer; while taking into consideration that the market for good coaching options and assistants dries up fast...can you see why this search is easily, by a wide margin, and it is not even close, the most important thing going on in in Syracuse athletics for the moment?

This is defcon 100 time for the AD. Rightfully so

You can list all of the administrative issues that every AD in the country has to deal with on a daily basis in whatever order you would like but the reality is that if he is 100% on those and fails in turning around the football program his career as a P5 AD will have a very short life. If he misses on this firing/hiring than is his career as a P5 AD is effectively over, right or wrong. We're in the bottom tier of P5 football schools and no one above us is going to offer a guy who fails at football here. So its pretty damn important for Mr. Coyle and his future career. I don't think he would disagree as to its importance either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom