Crap - it happened again | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Crap - it happened again

I am really, really trying to be optimistic.

Then I look at Shafer's record. Not just at SU. I'm bored at work so I looked up the records for the various staffs he's been on. Since 2004, the collective record is 59-74 (or 44% winning). Since he's been head coach at Syracuse, his winning percentage is 40% (10-15). He lost more than he won at Michigan, Stanford and Illinois. With a semi-bright patch at Western Michigan - nearly 10 years ago.

Objectively - it just doesn't look good. I think there may be a reason Marrone left him behind. I'm hoping for 5-7.

Then I look at Shafer's record. Not just at SU. I'm bored at work so I looked up the records for the various staffs he's been on. Since 2004, the collective record is 59-74 (or 44% winning). Since he's been head coach at Syracuse, his winning percentage is 40% (10-15). He lost more than he won at Michigan, Stanford and Illinois. With a semi-bright patch at Western Michigan - nearly 10 years ago.

Objectively - it just doesn't look good. I think there may be a reason Marrone left him behind. I'm hoping for 5-7.
Boo. He was never head coach until now, right? So the previous records were not "his" record

umm I think the reason Marrone "left him behind" is because Shafer knew he was going to be the next HC . HC Syracuse > Bills DC

Boo. He was never head coach until now, right? So the previous records were not "his" record
"His record" as HC is worse than the records of the teams he coached for.

CuseCactus said:
I am really, really trying to be optimistic. Then I look at Shafer's record. Not just at SU. I'm bored at work so I looked up the records for the various staffs he's been on. Since 2004, the collective record is 59-74 (or 44% winning). Since he's been head coach at Syracuse, his winning percentage is 40% (10-15). He lost more than he won at Michigan, Stanford and Illinois. With a semi-bright patch at Western Michigan - nearly 10 years ago. Objectively - it just doesn't look good. I think there may be a reason Marrone left him behind. I'm hoping for 5-7.

That's one way to look at it. I am don't think records are fair to judge OC/DC by. They can only impact one side of the ball. For example - there were two Marrone seasons the D was really, really good - while our O was in the 100's (similar to last year).

I swore this would not happen to me again this year, but I went ahead and allowed myself to become optimistic about the OFFENSE this fall. Reading the quotes about the new OC's system, thinking about the Sr QB and OLine being healthy, the skill guys like Erv, Broyld, Ishmael, the experienced RBs and on and on.

I think about how easily the offense seemed to move the ball at times last year between the 20s in spite of all the injuries and the awful playcalling and think there has to be talent there at the skill positions. This happens to me every year since the late 90s... it's gotta pan out one of these years...
eat a snickers

despite all the injuries and the coaching mess and despite finishing 111th in yards per play, we can at least feel good that we're 45% in yards per play than wake forest was

wake is incredibly bad. VT was only 0.4% better. Virginia was only 3% better. i'm trying here

Thanks for your efforts!

red zone was a problem that eventually became moot when we stopped getting to the red zone

we were 109th in red zone attempts and 127th in red zone td conversion percentage. so we stunk at getting to the red zone and we stunk worse when we got there

100th ranked team in red zone td percentage was over 10 percentage points better (30% improvement)

going from 40% to 50% gets you 25 more points, which isn't nothing but doesn't move them much up the scoring rankings
Remember the name Adly Enoicy, this young man might be something special.

If you're bored at work, I hope you're looking for a new job. Don't drive yourself nuts.

Personally, I've never understood the point or appeal of being a pessimistic fan.

Realistic? Sure. But you can be both an optimist and a realist, and it's a lot more fun to hope for the best with the teams you root for than it is to be sure of the worst.
Upstate NY mentality... wolves are circling. ;)

I appreciate the optimism. And yes SU could win more with some subtle improvements. But mostly what I take out of this thread is that two of the biggest question marks we have is our QB and head coach. Many people are very confident about both of them. Others can not get past the lack of overall success either has had in their respective career. To be honest I'm a little tired of the whole thing. Which leaves me wanting to be optimistic as I see no point not being optimistic. Bring on the season and LGO!

I think SU will be greatly improved over last year. (I hope so anyway for the sake of the coaching staff.) I don't have a crystal ball (or claim to be a "sleeping prophet") but in a night time dream I saw the word "Syracuse" and then "2". Maybe you will be 2nd in the Atlantic Division - or does that mean you will be the "runnerup" in the NCAA tournament? Either of those would be OK but if the latter that does not fix your perceived "football problem".

Most people here have just been worn down over the past 15 years so we're more "show me" then "we'rez gonna be the greatest!!11!!!1!". But that's to be expected.
Like many of you, I've been a fan for decades. I've gotten to see some great SU teams and know it's possible for SU to win games, including some big ones. We've also gone through tough times that I prefer not to recall in any great detail. What's past is past and this year is a new slate.

Our coaches are capable of winning and we've got a bunch of kids on the team that are talented and strong. Now we need a bunch of loud fans, execution on the field, and some good karma. This team could be so-so, relatively decent, damn good, or superb. That's the beauty of sports. It's not over til it's over. Analysts are wonderful things, but games are played on the field. I really hope Shafer, Hunt, et al can show us and themselves that they can be successful on that field. The fans on this board generally demonstrate their commitment as well by showing up, being loud, and believing good play by SU is possible. However it turns out, the tailgates themselves are great celebrations of each year's campaign. There will come a day when SU will be good again. This year would be ok with me.

in a night time dream I saw the word "Syracuse" and then "2". Maybe you will be 2nd in the Atlantic Division - or does that mean you will be the "runnerup" in the NCAA tournament?
Hopefully it wasn't a prediction of the team's number of wins in the upcoming season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom