Crowd sizes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Crowd sizes

I don’t think the crowds are any different than the past couple years. We’re seeing that basketball is treated the same as football, fans show up when the team is good and don’t when they aren’t.
It took years of horrible football to drive attendance down and we’re seeing the same in basketball. It didn’t happen over night and it won’t be fixed overnight. The basketball program has been trending down for a decade.

Unfortunately I don’t see it changing anytime soon. That’s why a continuity hire made zero sense to me.

Football, yes. I am feeling hope and excitement again. I’m not sure how anyone can be optimistic about hoops when we need to turn over about 75% of the roster. We’ve been saying “wait till next year” for hoops for how many years now?

Basketball is falling into the same trap as football. A slow decline that we just can’t stop. Accelerated by coaches hanging on to long and bad hires.

Last edited:
Anyone going to games anymore? Looks sparse. Size matters.

Perhaps the smallest crowd I've seen since the 1997 NIT. I sit in 304 row D and I was the only on in it. Back in the 80's I had to fight to stay on my seat at the end of the row. :oops::(

Winning solves everything. (I feel like I‘m posting on football board)

Nil unfortunately has brought down the quality of college basketball as a whole and it's almost impossible to get attracted to teams getting a new set of starting 5 every year because of the ridiculous transfer rules. I no longer am attached to players knowing they only want to play for themselves and not for the team.

Nil unfortunately has brought down the quality of college basketball as a whole and it's almost impossible to get attracted to teams getting a new set of starting 5 every year because of the ridiculous transfer rules. I no longer am attached to players knowing they only want to play for themselves and not for the team.
Could not agree more that the overall quality of the game has degraded but I don't think it's NIL directly that's to blame. It's the free agency with transfers combined with more and more early exits to play some form of pro ball. Or even skipping college altogether. It used to be that a player wouldn't consider leaving eligibility on the table unless he was a sure fire lottery pick. Now kids that are fringe second rounders are leaving early for G-League or overseas to continue their development.

Definitely appear off, is that a factor of losing Coach Boeheim, the roster or a combo of both?

Or is it simply something else, money getting tight for some people?

From a tv perspective the crowd looks sparse. (Definitely down from years past)
I feel that the economy has to play a part also.

I feel that the economy has to play a part also.
They‘ve announced over 19,000 for each home game, so people bought tickets but just haven’t gone to games. It usually picks up when ACC games start. There’s just been a lot of no shows.

Fran Brown was supposed to be introduced at halftime. (my bad, I thought it said halftime, the initial tweet didn't specify, later pre-game media shows said it would be during a timeout I guess. I don't know I didn't watch/listen to them) He came out and spoke during a TO and no one was really expecting it. The whole thing was over in about 2 minutes. And if you weren't paying attention at the very start of it, it could have been just another promotional contest.

The AD has zero understanding of how to promote something. There's a bowl game coming, promote the players, promote the new HC, promote the changes. How about a video board intro? No one had time to put together a few clips? Freaking amateur hour.

Two other asides:
1) ADJW, HCFB, and Elijah Robinson all sat behind the home basket until the end of the half, left and never returned. Probably had to beat traffic.

2) No banner in the dome for Men's Soccer National Championship yet? That was one of the best things that happened (on the video board) in the dome last season.
As to #1: it’s quite possible they didn’t have leisure time to watch the whole game, given there were coaches to hire, recruits to talk to, visits to arrange, and/or maybe they needed to get home to help with moving, or just tucking the kids in good-night.

The rowing team doesn't compete in the dome either, but their pictures are all over the walls.

Maybe the soccer team should be playing in the dome or at least have their achievements be promoted there where the most people attend sporting events. None of this is set in stone and can't be changed. Promote the successes.
I’ll bet the soccer team wanted the banner where they and their fans can see it. If you’re not a soccer fan, you won’t miss it not being in the Dome. If you are a fan, you’ll see it at the game when you attend.

Pictures on the wall are different than a championship banner. I guess you could sponsor some buoys to put in the river where they row and the pictures could go on those. Would that make you happy? Of course, due to weather, the pictures would need replacing annually.

Do you wake up and just look for things to bitch about, or do they just come to you?

I disagree. The top teams in college football do not have a large number of portal kids playing for them. In college basketball, NIL is impacting some movement, but I would say there are other factors in play. Kids that have proven themselves at a lower level want a chance to prove themselves at a higher level. Or, a kid isn't being developed well or feels he is being misused at a school and wants to move to a different school.

Sure the last few years of Boeheim weren't that good, but Syracuse made 1 Final Four as well as 2 Sweet Sixteen's in the past 8 seasons which is very good. That said, if you take out the first year in the ACC, Syracuse has not finished above 6th and is 0.500 in ACC play.

If you look at Syracuse's basketball recruiting, it hasn't been that good for a number of years. This year has 2 high quality recruits, but they have been few and far between for a number of years. If you want to blame something for Syracuse's basketball malaise, I think you have to blame coaching and recruiting as recruiting was in a rut before NIL made an impact. Fortunately in basketball, in contrast to football, a couple of players and good coaching can turn a program around quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom