Cruise info and preferred shipping lines? | Syracusefan.com

Cruise info and preferred shipping lines?

SmilinBob

Living Legend
We're thinking of taking a cruise and to be honest not sure if we want to take a short one to see if we even like it or a long voyage 14 to 20 days or so. Any preferences on lines or areas? We've always flown or driven but have never taken a cruise and not sure if a river or ocean would be the way to go.

Not into drinking and too fancy like Sebourn (would like input on that line though if you've ever been) but do like the smaller ship idea.

Thanks!

I've done 3 ocean cruises (Bahamas, Bermuda, Cozumel) ranging from 5 to 7 nights. All on Royal Caribbean, so I can't compare cruise lines or ocean vs. river cruises for you. But I loved every one (except for the stop in Nassau - I will never go there again).

If you only drink occasionally, that should save you money as the all-inclusive drink packages can run pretty high.

We've taken 6 cruises, all on Royal Caribbean. What I can tell you is that the quality of service and amenities has gone down quite a bit in recent years.

For clarity, here is a review I posted on another site following our last RCCL cruise. Note- it was in 2022 and COVID was still being considered thus the point I made there. Re the ending of that post, we are cruising again later this year, but are moving to Celebrity. Same ownership but hoping for a better experience

This is going to be a little bit of a random download / trip report so feel free to skip past it if that isn't of interest to you It's also a LOT of complaining, so again, feel free to skip if that's not your cup of tea.

After far too many years away from cruising, and a cancelled COVID trip, we finally got to sail on the Adventure of the Seas this past week on a 5 night Bermuda cruise. This was our 6th cruise, and all of them have been on Royal. The first 5 we loved and always felt it was money well spent. This time, everything changed.

Topline takeaway : I always felt that even though the cruise came along with upcharges and added costs, I still got the impression that the Cruise line cared that I had a good time in the end. I always felt appreciated and respected as a passenger, and a vacationer, and even though it wasn't an all-inclusive, I always felt that their number one goal was my happiness. Yes. I know their goal is to make money, but they used to be so much better at still leaving me feeling that I got value.

I didn't feel that way at ALL this time around.

First the food. I have LONG defended the food on this cruise line from those who said it wasn't good. It was never 5 star dining, but I always felt well-fed and well taken-care of. Not this time. The quality and quantity of the food in the dining room has declined to the point that I have to agree with the criticism. A shrimp appetizer had 3 small shrimp. That's it. More fun times at Johnny Rockets when we asked "are these starters per person or to share"? He said to share. Then he brings our onion rings. Four small onion rings for four people. *****? And...my wife's burger never came at all.

I also need someone to explain to me. COVID is airborne. How does congregating large groups of people outside the Windjammer so they can wash hands make sense? Seems to be an increase in risk. It would seem that the quick hand sanitizing shots that they did outside the main dining room would make much more sense. I'm also curious why I can't make my own ice cream...sorry, frozen yogurt...cone outside on the pool deck? How is COVID more transmissible in that one spot as opposed to every other surface in the Windjammer? Or on the soda machine touch screens? On the Promenade coffee machine handles? Arbitrary and didnt make sense.

$7.95 upcharge for breakfast room service if it's an egg, but free if its toast. I don't get it.

$200 for a family of four for a premium restaurant now. Oof.

And there used to be SO many more places to get food. Forget about the long gone away midnight buffets, what about even the burgers and dogs poolside? Now, the ONLY place I could find ANY food during non meal hours was the Promenade, and there was always a huge line because of it.

Overcrowding 3,800 people onto a boat despite COVID...fine I can deal with that...but why are you closing half the pools on an AT SEA day? Insanity. People were pouring OUT of the hot tubs.

The WiFi? I paid $400 for 4 devices with "streaming". It was AWFUL. Worked maybe 25% of the time, and not at a speed where anything was streamable.

I could go on (I know this is a total *****-fest and I am sorry)...But It just felt like every possible opportunity to make things harder for passengers, RCI did that thing. And I NEVER felt this way before about RCI. I don't know if cruising just isn't for me any more, or if its just RCI.

I took a 5 night cruise to Bermuda on Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas in 2019 and a 7 night cruise on Oasis of the Seas to Port Canaveral, Nassau and Royal Caribbean’s private island in the Bahamas in 2022. Both cruises out of Cape Liberty in Bayonne. Both ships had similar amenities and I found there was plenty to do on the ship itself.

I loved going to Bermuda because the ship docked there for two days and you really had time to do stuff. Nassau was bleh but really loved their private island. Definitely the best part of the trip.

I found the post-Covid rules didn’t really do anything to stop the spread of the virus. There was a Fourth of July party on the ship and people were packed like sardines with barely any breathing room. I went on the cruise with a group of 20 people and half of our party got Covid within two days of getting off the ship. Hopefully things are better now a year later but definitely be cautious as cruises are notorious for being moving petri dishes.

I took a 5 night cruise to Bermuda on Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas in 2019 and a 7 night cruise on Oasis of the Seas to Port Canaveral, Nassau and Royal Caribbean’s private island in the Bahamas in 2022. Both cruises out of Cape Liberty in Bayonne. Both ships had similar amenities and I found there was plenty to do on the ship itself.

I loved going to Bermuda because the ship docked there for two days and you really had time to do stuff. Nassau was bleh but really loved their private island. Definitely the best part of the trip.

I found the post-Covid rules didn’t really do anything to stop the spread of the virus. There was a Fourth of July party on the ship and people were packed like sardines with barely any breathing room. I went on the cruise with a group of 20 people and half of our party got Covid within two days of getting off the ship. Hopefully things are better now a year later but definitely be cautious as cruises are notorious for being moving petri dishes.
Coco Cay, right? If so, I totally agree. Fun, big, swim-up bars, etc.

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it and any added information would be fantastic.

We have taken numerous cruises on various lines. Royal, Norwegian, Carnival. If you don’t drink much, pay as you go. After 7 days, I’m ready to get off the ship. Carnival was a nice surprise for us, we were loyal Royal C cruisers, but have been disappointed in them lately. The food and service has deteriorated. Carnival has many more food choices which are free, lots of upcharging as far as the pay as you go dining options

Has anyone used Viking? We kind of like the smaller ships which made Seabourn attractive to us.

I once worked a summer as a Cruise Agent. It is an international company that provides on shore services to the crews from the captain on down. Met with the captions upon arrival in Juneau.
They all seemed pretty much the same. In general you get what you pay for. One exception is the Greek line, Celebrity Cruises. They have a combination of Euro sophistication and chaos; lost luggage, etc. I'd say that smaller is better and probably safer re. disease. Do not take the line that has modern sternwheelers. They are not safe and lost their Alaska license, two serious accidents. Holland America has a reputation for older passengers.

We are (possibly) looking at a Mediterranean cruise. Any one do those?

Wow I need to check this forum more. This is an answer 4 months late. I’ve done a Mediterranean cruise. Western Med out of Rome. It was awesome. I have only done four cruises but with pretty good diversification: one Alaska, one Caribbean, one Med, one Australia/New Zealand. Have done them on Royal Caribbean, Holland, and Celebrity. The Med cruise was by far my favorite. Was well worth it if you want just an overview of several countries/ports without the hassle of transporting yourself and your luggage from place to place every day.

Has anyone used Viking? We kind of like the smaller ships which made Seabourn attractive to us.
sorry for being late to this - we've done about 50 cruises in our lives (late-40s; kids are teenagers and have cruised since a couple months old). Happy to answer any specific questions, but these are the highlights.

In the past year, we did 2x Caribbean (Oasis/Allure and smaller ship) and 1x Alaska (Quantum Class).

I'd avoid Viking, if only because they're scumbags (someone had a travel/medical issue and Viking refunded zero).

We prefer RCCL for kids; but are pivoting to Celebrity and might do a SilverSea small ship/780 pax (all are RCCL).

Princess has been great, but doesn't have as many activities as the super-size RCCL ships (Oasis class or bigger). Our honeymoon was a 2-week VCE > BCN on Princess and was terrific. Very European (+ Russian) crowd. We were going to "recreate" this journey this summer but decided to go to Japan instead.

Virgin is good for adults and all newer boats (was supposed to launch during Covid and got delayed).

Carnival is trashy, but the 3-4 night cruises on RCCL have become very similar clientele (booze cruises, disrespectful/loud/drunk people).

No one mentioned Norwegian Cruise lines. They seem to have a Nordic flavor; crews wear clogs, etc. Not sure what peoples experience has been. Scandinavian food; meatballs, lox, salmon?

My wife booked a Halloween themed Disney cruise for the family in October to the Bahamas.. I don’t do well with the Disney crowds. My 5 and 3 year old daughters will enjoy it so I’ll put on a happy face. Will be my first ever cruise. Fingers crossed I don’t lose my mind

No one mentioned Norwegian Cruise lines. They seem to have a Nordic flavor; crews wear clogs, etc. Not sure what peoples experience has been. Scandinavian food; meatballs, lox, salmon?
Loved NCL Bliss. Had the better food out of RCCL oasis and also better entertainment. Though Aquamania was a great show.

Thanks for all the info, lots to think about.

Did you all go through the company/shipping line or a tour broker?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom