Curt Cignetti: Why can’t we hire this guy? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Curt Cignetti: Why can’t we hire this guy?

I see people mention Huff, so what is the draw? His prior resume is pretty light. Marshall isn't as good as when they were before he arrived. He had a flukey W at Notre Dame when they played a DIII level QB. He beat VA Tech this year but also lost to an even worse NC State team. He is 14-12 vs G5 teams, which ironically is worse than his record vs P5 teams (2-1).
Pass on Huff. There are better out there.

What's Doug Marrone up to nowadays?

Now that the school is investing in the program and there has been a change in leadership, may e he would come back?

(Ducking elbows)

Just watching him the other night you got the sense this guy is in control. His team played really well with very few errors and no head scratching. He checks all of the boxes with his background.
100%. His career HC record is staggering, and it isn’t like he is Ryan Day being handed great situations either. JMU being a top 25ish team in their second year in the FBS, after a great first season last year, is a remarkable thing. I know Dino will get extended if we win at least 7, I am resigned to that. Less than 7 he has to go and JW needs to go hard after this dude

He would be dumber than dumb to go to BC. Guy has 46 kids from VA likely within two hours of that campus. How does that translate here (and he’s 63 next season).
He is a great coach who can recruit PA and the DMV, and hire assistants who can cover Jersey, Florida etc. not sure what the argument is about a guy from Pittsburgh who has a 116-34 career record. I don’t care if he is 62, no younger coach is sticking around here if successful. If we finish this season well, then this is all moot so I hope it’s moot. BC sucks, so yeah, I would hope he wouldn’t go there

He is a great coach who can recruit PA and the DMV, and hire assistants who can cover Jersey, Florida etc. not sure what the argument is about a guy from Pittsburgh who has a 116-34 career record. I don’t care if he is 62, no younger coach is sticking around here if successful. If we finish this season well, then this is all moot so I hope it’s moot. BC sucks, so yeah, I would hope he wouldn’t go there

He might care - and he might not but it will take some time to get it going here. JMU for a guy like him is a sweet gig and my point is his recruiting lift is pretty favorable there compared
to here.

Pay jump to here can be significant.

He might care - and he might not but it will take some time to get it going here. JMU for a guy like him is a sweet gig and my point is his recruiting lift is pretty favorable there compared
to here.

Pay jump to here can be significant.
100% with recruiting, this is a very very tough place to do that, nothing in our backyard like he has there. But man can he coach. Hopefully this is all moot, I never want our team to lose ever. Well maybe at the end of the Shafer and GROB eras

100% with recruiting, this is a very very tough place to do that, nothing in our backyard like he has there. But man can he coach. Hopefully this is all moot, I never want our team to lose ever. Well maybe at the end of the Shafer and GROB eras

Haha completely agree.

I looked at that roster and was jealous of that job

Give the guy a solid 5 year contract and let him turn the program around.
5 years 20m

After watching Pitt get hosed by the Officials at Wake, I wonder if it matters who we get as our coach. That game was stolen from Pitt. Nothing new in this league.

After watching Pitt get hosed by the Officials at Wake, I wonder if it matters who we get as our coach. That game was stolen from Pitt. Nothing new in this league.
Well, the NFL is rigged, why wouldn’t college be rigged too?

Cignetti is the closest thing to Leipold we can find. Do it. Before BC or Pitt does.
I posted it elsewhere, but barring some miracle from Neal Brown over the next few weeks, WVU will be snatching up Cignetti.

Most of those we would have no shot at. The others generally speaking are not a good fit. Looking at the current HCs there are not many that would be a fit and want to come here.

I think the most likely current FBS HC would be Chuck Martin, and he isn't worth investing in. So we either need to take a gamble on an FCS HC, get a recently fired FBS HC, go for a 2nd tier P5 OC/DC (top guys aren't coming here), or go for a guy with an NFL background.

As an aside, I don't think we have any shot at him but I do wonder what Jason Garrett would do in college.

We need a guy who will understand our situation. Who can recruit the Northeast from day one. Who can coach up the type of players we can bring in. Who can install discipline and a hard working, never quite attitude. Who can out game plan other coaches. Who can connect with modern players. Who can be the face of the program. Who can roll out a competent O. Who does not have one foot out the door.

I think we have a better chance of running into a unicorn than finding a HC that fits all of that.
Jason Garrett, Mr. 8-8??? No thank you.