Cuse new offense | Syracusefan.com

Cuse new offense

jimcuse

Walk On
It will be the same and here is why I think so.

The play book that Hack and Doug used is still at SU. I am sure Hack will assist the coaches with any help they may need in using it. He still has close ties to SU and the current coaches.
McDonald was not a current OC so probably has not developed a set style yet.
Coach Schafer defended that offense every day in practice so is very familiar with it. I believe that his intent to have McDonald learnand run that offense. We should not miss a beat.

The play book that Hack and Doug used is still at SU. I am sure Hack will assist the coaches with any help they may need in using it. He still has close ties to SU and the current coaches.
Coach Schafer defended that offense every day in practice so is very familiar with it. I believe that his intent to have McDonald learnand run that offense. We should not miss a beat.
I concurr.

Not quite true. All the game prep was done against the scout team mimicking the opponents' offenses. We only installed this new offense three weeks before the season opener.

We have a very stable backfield with an unknown QB and good receivers.
McD loves to throw the ball. Should be interesting.

Not quite true. All the game prep was done against the scout team mimicking the opponents' offenses. We only installed this new offense three weeks before the season opener.

I could be totally wrong but I think the story of installing a new offense 3 weeks before the season was inaccurate and took on a life of it's own. My guess, is what changed 3 weeks before the season was the decision to go no huddle, out of the shotgun.

I could be totally wrong but I think the story of installing a new offense 3 weeks before the season was inaccurate and took on a life of it's own. My guess, is what changed 3 weeks before the season was the decision to go no huddle, out of the shotgun.

This. And I'd further this by saying I doubt DM woke up and said "LET'S GO NO HUDDLE!!!" three weeks before the season. My guess is it was something they had toyed with and discussed and researched a bit. Probably even worked on a bit here and there in practice with 2-minute drills, etc. Then they officially decided to go that route as the season neared.

Agreed. That was always my interpretation of it too.

Matter of degree and interpretation.
Some of the elements (blocking schemes, pass routes, run plays off guard) were certainly in the Spring plan. Maybe the de-emphasis on a blocking FB?
Hackett and Nassib have both described the major change in mid-August, once it was apparent that a fast tempo, no huddle, shutgun style was effective against our own defense. So, they went with it as the guts of the "new offense". Changed the play-calling so plays could be called on the fly.

The returning players, including Loeb, know the elements of the "new offense". Funderbunk & Foster were in the team meetings; same for the likely OL replacements. The new coaches have the playbook and all the video anyone could ever want. So, it shouldn't be difficult to keep it going without Shafer.

New OC would be smart to build around what the players already know. But it comes back to whether Loeb is the guy, whether he can execute an up-tempo, whether Lemon can be replaced . . .

I am sure McDonald's philosophy works well with the previous offense and especially with Shafer's desire to put on a show.

Not true at all. And who is this coach Schafer you speak of?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom