'Cuse next in line after Kentucky | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse next in line after Kentucky

Flacusian

All Conference
As many programs around the country sit back and wait their turn to mop up the leftovers from Cal's unprecedented recruiting run, it's interesting to guess which program might be next in line to challenge the Wildcats as being the haven for the top rated High School talent. With Syracuse's move to the ACC next year and rumors of "package deals" involving the likes of Chris McCullough and Isaiah Whitehead as well as Brandon Austin and Rysheed Jordan, there does exist the possibility that it could happen sooner than most people might imagine.

With Calipari's track record of moving from program to program while leaving a littany of unanswered questions and being the "Teflon Jon" of college coaching and recruiting, one has to wonder how long it will be before something surfaces, and sticks, which could tarnish the image of Calipari land.

Combine that with the fact that Syracuse has postured itself in such a fashion that they are getting interest from the likes of Wiggins, Dakari Johnson, Vonleh, and Rashad Vaughn and it doesn't take but a few of the above to select Orange to have Cuse knocking on Calipari's recruiting throne saying, "Times up Cal, our turn now"

I hope you get an A + on this. good report, hope we land some if our targets, but cals got this thing by the balls bigtime

As many programs around the country sit back and wait their turn to mop up the leftovers from Cal's unprecedented recruiting run, it's interesting to guess which program might be next in line to challenge the Wildcats as being the haven for the top rated High School talent. With Syracuse's move to the ACC next year and rumors of "package deals" involving the likes of Chris McCullough and Isaiah Whitehead as well as Brandon Austin and Rysheed Jordan, there does exist the possibility that it could happen sooner than most people might imagine.

With Calipari's track record of moving from program to program while leaving a littany of unanswered questions and being the "Teflon Jon" of college coaching and recruiting, one has to wonder how long it will be before something surfaces, and sticks, which could tarnish the image of Calipari land.

Combine that with the fact that Syracuse has postured itself in such a fashion that they are getting interest from the likes of Wiggins, Dakari Johnson, Vonleh, and Rashad Vaughn and it doesn't take but a few of the above to select Orange to have Cuse knocking on Calipari's recruiting throne saying, "Times up Cal, our turn now"

Recruiting is all about the coach. With Boeheim probably a few years at most away from retirement, it is going to be a more difficult transition than you think I'mo. While Hopkins MIT be a great recruiter, he doesn't have the gravitas of a 1000 win HOF coach. I don't think a coach on the brink of retirement is going to all of a sudden overturn the success of a younger coach like Cal or any number of young up and coming recruiters.

That said, SU's formula has certainly been working. Not sure every program needs to do the same to produce a consistent winner like Boeheim has.

Recruiting is all about the coach. With Boeheim probably a few years at most away from retirement, it is going to be a more difficult transition than you think I'mo. While Hopkins MIT be a great recruiter, he doesn't have the gravitas of a 1000 win HOF coach. I don't think a coach on the brink of retirement is going to all of a sudden overturn the success of a younger coach like Cal or any number of young up and coming recruiters.

That said, SU's formula has certainly been working. Not sure every program needs to do the same to produce a consistent winner like Boeheim has.
Might ... not MIT

With Boeheim probably a few years at most away from retirement, it is going to be a more difficult transition than you think I'mo. While Hopkins MIT be a great recruiter, he doesn't have the gravitas of a 1000 win HOF coach..

Please keep politics out of this.

Cal is cherrypicking now. His program is the ultimate selector and I don't see how anything can stop him. It's silly to compare any program to UK right now, no one is even close. Cal gets almost everyone he wants.

grammar-police.png

Cal is cherrypicking now. His program is the ultimate selector and I don't see how anything can stop him. It's silly to compare any program to UK right now, no one is even close. Cal gets almost everyone he wants.
At the end of the day all this success will be erased. His title and final 4 appearances will eventually be stript from him.

I have to disagree...I don't think there's any precedent for what Cal is doing at UK outside of a few isolated years at various programs ie the Fab Five. This makes me more inclined to believe that once JC retires and/or gets driven out of UK no one will be "next in line."

We may be listed by a lot of top talent and rumors of package deals are out there. But I'm reluctant to think SU will rise to that level of selector program until those rumors become real. As it stands now for this year we have one top 25 kid and two fringe top 100 prospects. I know the staff knows what their doing, so if they want these guys so do I. But that's a far cry from what JC is doing at Kentucky.

Besides, I would much rather watch these kids develop a la the 2010 and 2012 teams. Without the injuries and questionable academics.

I have to disagree...I don't think there's any precedent for what Cal is doing at UK outside of a few isolated years at various programs ie the Fab Five. This makes me more inclined to believe that once JC retires and/or gets driven out of UK no one will be "next in line."

We may be listed by a lot of top talent and rumors of package deals are out there. But I'm reluctant to think SU will rise to that level of selector program until those rumors become real. As it stands now for this year we have one top 25 kid and two fringe top 100 prospects. I know the staff knows what their doing, so if they want these guys so do I. But that's a far cry from what JC is doing at Kentucky.

Besides, I would much rather watch these kids develop a la the 2010 and 2012 teams. Without the injuries and questionable academics.
I don't have a link, but Thad Matta/OSU had a string (3-4) of good recruiting classes (Oden, BJ Mullins, Kosta Kufos, etc..). He was on a roll for a while. More recently, SU hasn't exploded like Ky, but it's been very very good the past 3-4 years.

where we have traditionally excelled is in talent evaluation. JB and assistants do a great job of finding gems who fit within their system; recall that Hakeem Warrick was a "2nd choice".

This strategy will continue to serve us well. Consider, Syracuse is a private institution without resources that can match those of the large state flagship universities it must compete with to be among the in the elites of college sport.

What is occurring now, with UK is the inevitable result of an NCAA whose focus is really about control of the huge amounts of revenue created through its sports; mostly football and hoops. Their rules are convoluted and are enforced in a manner that poorly reflects upon what would benefit the student athlete; ie. individual schools and student athletes are punished and yet; some coaches are very effective at walking the line (between the rules and a violation) which ends with other stakeholders(schools & athletes) getting screwed through those same coaches actions; as they move on to the next scam; errrrrrrrrrrr 'great coaching opportunity'

You're a good member, but posting in colors is right down the interstate from typing in all capitalsville. Especially when "Hakeem" gets highlighted.

But man, having Olajuwon here would have been awesome. :)

where we have traditionally excelled is in talent evaluation. JB and assistants do a great job of finding gems who fit within their system; recall that Hakeem Warrick was a "2nd choice".

This strategy will continue to serve us well. Consider, Syracuse is a private institution without resources that can match those of the large state flagship universities it must compete with to be among the in the elites of college sport.

What is occurring now, with UK is the inevitable result of an NCAA whose focus is really about control of the huge amounts of revenue created through its sports; mostly football and hoops. Their rules are convoluted and are enforced in a manner that poorly reflects upon what would benefit the student athlete; ie. individual schools and student athletes are punished and yet; some coaches are very effective at walking the line (between the rules and a violation) which ends with other stakeholders(schools & athletes) getting screwed through those same coaches actions; as they move on to the next scam; errrrrrrrrrrr 'great coaching opportunity'

I'm not sure what your getting at but it's incredibly naive to think JB (and the vast majority of coaches at major BCS conference programs are not walking that line.

I hope you get an A + on this. good report, hope we land some if our targets, but cals got this thing by the balls bigtime
What is most insidious about Cal's stranglehold is that it is self-perpetuating. With one and dones he always has PT to offer to incoming frosh. No other program can do that.