Cuse OL vs Clem DL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse OL vs Clem DL

I found the Clemson's players definition of "trash talk" to be less believable.
It is incredibly rare down here that you ever hear anything publicly other than "Team X is really good. Player Y is really good. It will be a challenge." It will garner headlines 100% of the time when anyone strays from that template. Maybe "our QB is better than theirs" and "they can't handle the noise/heat" are commonplace elsewhere, but I can't recall a single time I've ever heard stuff like that before a game. (Sometimes you hear those comments after a game.) Not saying it never happens, but it's rare and stands out.

EDIT: I should add that I'm glad it happened. It makes the games more interesting. It is refreshing to hear something other than the same ol' company line.

It is incredibly rare down here that you ever hear anything publicly other than "Team X is really good. Player Y is really good. It will be a challenge." It will garner headlines 100% of the time when anyone strays from that template. Maybe "our QB is better than theirs" and "they can't handle the noise/heat" are commonplace elsewhere, but I can't recall a single time I've ever heard stuff like that before a game. (Sometimes you hear those comments after a game.) Not saying it never happens, but it's rare and stands out.

EDIT: I should add that I'm glad it happened. It makes the games more interesting. It is refreshing to hear something other than the same ol' company line.
In this age of digital communication I am blown away that anything the Syracuse team said in anyway was a surprise to the Clemson players, and taken as a slight.

Truthfully, it makes the Clemson program sound like some weird hermit outpost out of touch with modernity, siloed away from any influence beyond their bubble.

In this age of digital communication I am blown away that anything the Syracuse team said in anyway was a surprise to the Clemson players, and taken as a slight.

Truthfully, it makes the Clemson program sound like some weird hermit outpost out of touch with modernity, siloed away from any influence beyond their bubble.
Like I said, players just don't make those comments to media down here. Part of that is probably attributable to the fact that CFB is far and away the biggest topic in sports down here and second place (whatever that is) isn't even close, so the bigger programs devote a great deal of their resources toward media control.

If you've never been here, I hope you're coming this weekend so you can see just how much the team means to us.

Like I said, players just don't make those comments to media down here. Part of that is probably attributable to the fact that CFB is far and away the biggest topic in sports down here and second place (whatever that is) isn't even close, so the bigger programs devote a great deal of their resources toward media control.
Are the players unaware of the media as reported by other programs across the country? I just have an extremely hard time believing they are.

Are the players unaware of the media as reported by other programs across the country? I just have an extremely hard time believing they are.
I've said everything I know about this topic. I personally have no idea what out-of-region teams are saying about each other to the media before games, so it wouldn't surprise me if the players don't know either.

Should Palmer have any plays lined up against Beasley, that's terrifying. Would give me flashbacks of Palmer trying to block Aaron Donald on that PAT last year. Donald is lucky he wasn't arrested for assault.

Sexual assault.

I've said everything I know about this topic. I personally have no idea what out-of-region teams are saying about each other to the media before games, so it wouldn't surprise me if the players don't know either.
I don't know what demographic you'd fit in age wise, it just bottles the mind thinking that young, social media using people like the Clemson players, who I would think have a semi-national following and use Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. like any other person their age, would not be exposed to different communication styles.

Maybe this is some great secret of the American South. I don't know. We get players from the South. I don't get the impression they have culture shock about trash talk.

I don't know what demographic you'd fit in age wise, it just bottles the mind thinking that young, social media using people like the Clemson players, who I would think have a semi-national following and use Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. like any other person their age, would not be exposed to different communication styles.

Maybe this is some great secret of the American South. I don't know. We get players from the South. I don't get the impression they have culture shock about trash talk.
Our players don't use social media during the season. If opposing players were tweeting trash talk to them before games, it would probably make every sports-related website, radio show, and newspaper down here. You're talking about the region where things like this happens when someone disagrees with a pundit's opinion of her team:

Should Palmer have any plays lined up against Beasley, that's terrifying. Would give me flashbacks of Palmer trying to block Aaron Donald on that PAT last year. Donald is lucky he wasn't arrested for assault.
Don't ever mention that play again - please! I was over that play and then you pulled me back in!

If you've never been here, I hope you're coming this weekend so you can see just how much the team means to us.
Just don't care as much as Ped State or FSU and get your priorities mixed up.

This is going to be fun to watch (well hopefully at least). Can't wait to see the Hickey/Beasley matchup. Both have legit NFL potential that have been staples on their teams for the last few years. As Hickey said, this is the "best D-Line we've seen in the last 5 years... and no one comes close..." says a lot. Palmer has been good at RT, but I worry about him as he does not have a quick first step. Long will be using his feet quite a bit, let's just hope he doesn't get hurt.

Quick reads will be key. Long will not have time to hold onto the ball. When we run the ball, let's stick with DMC and AAM. Keep Philips in space and hopefully Estime and Broyld are ready to go.

Can't wait for this doozy.
What about PTG? He isn't hurt is he?

Our players don't use social media during the season. If opposing players were tweeting trash talk to them before games, it would probably make every sports-related website, radio show, and newspaper down here. You're talking about the region where things like this happens when someone disagrees with a pundit's opinion of her team:
Maybe trash-talk, or lack thereof, is a city vs. rural thing… I didn't think any of the players said anything that was that bad… but that video was hilarious.

Maybe trash-talk, or lack thereof, is a city vs. rural thing… I didn't think any of the players said anything that was that bad… but that video was hilarious.
Our players come from both urban and rural places. I don't think that's the distinction. You'll probably see plenty of trash talk from our players once they get on the field on Saturday, but for whatever reason, you're never going to hear it uttered to media before the game. It happens every now and then before games down here, but it's rare and it always causes a s***-storm.

When a team trash talks, it fires up the opposing team. Ask Petrino about his comments regarding Death Valley before the Louisville game. Personally I love it when an opposing team trash talks Clemson. It fires our boys and fan base up. However that is a huge reason it's happens so rarely and you won't find Clemson trash talking either. No matter who we are playing, Dabo will make them sound like the '85 Bears.

ohiotiger said:
When a team trash talks, it fires up the opposing team. Ask Petrino about his comments regarding Death Valley before the Louisville game. Personally I love it when an opposing team trash talks Clemson. It fires our boys and fan base up. However that is a huge reason it's happens so rarely and you won't find Clemson trash talking either. No matter who we are playing, Dabo will make them sound like the '85 Bears.

We remember. Dabo, Boyd, and your fan base took a tweet and a quote and built it to a make believe crapstorm of fake outrage. The announcers were even mentioning it in the game.

I still don't know what was said. But if you guys need that sort of thing to play well, I'm certain with some digging you could find another molehill.

We remember. Dabo, Boyd, and your fan base took a tweet and a quote and built it to a make believe crapstorm of fake outrage. The announcers were even mentioning it in the game.

I still don't know what was said. But if you guys need that sort of thing to play well, I'm certain with some digging you could find another molehill.
Remember a couple years ago when Louisville attributed the quote "we never lose on senior day" to Ryan Nassib even though he never said that... then we went on to annihilate LVille? Good times...

That's why I keep putting trash talk in quotes. It was so manufactured.

You, like many, are making the assumption that they access to the interwebs in Clemson..its a very small town in a remote corner of the world

Clemson University is a state school here in South Carolina. The legislature has embarked on an extensive upgrade to the educational facilities there.

Its my understanding that in 2012, they finally had electricity installed on campus.

The upgrade schedule calls for running water and indoor plumbing to be installed in all campus buildings and dorms in 2015 to be followed by telephone service in 2016.
Internet service is not scheduled to begin at Clemson until 2016.

So, as you can see, there is clearly a very logical reason why the Clemson players have little or no exposure to the different communication styles and/or "trash talking"

I- I
P- Plow
T- Thirty
A-Acres
Y-Yearly

You, like many, are making the assumption that they access to the interwebs in Clemson..its a very small town in a remote corner of the world

Clemson University is a state school here in South Carolina. The legislature has embarked on an extensive upgrade to the educational facilities there.

Its my understanding that in 2012, they finally had electricity installed on campus.

The upgrade schedule calls for running water and indoor plumbing to be installed in all campus buildings and dorms in 2015 to be followed by telephone service in 2016.
Internet service is not scheduled to begin at Clemson until 2016.

So, as you can see, there is clearly a very logical reason why the Clemson players have little or no exposure to the different communication styles and/or "trash talking"

I- I
P- Plow
T- Thirty
A-Acres
Y-Yearly
It's pretty sad when Gamecock fans have to troll the boards of Clemson's opponents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom