"Cuse wins rout in 1st game since allegations" | Syracusefan.com

"Cuse wins rout in 1st game since allegations"

Headline on ESPN. Really? How about the same headline for the 2nd, 3rd, fourth, and on? This is absolutely pathetic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=313230183

I was just about to link that article. That AP story used a basketball game as an excuse to totally rehash the Fine story. In the small space they gave to the game, they said the seat BEHIND JB on the bench was left vacant. Yikes. This is the current state of US journalism.

Headline on ESPN. Really? How about the same headline for the 2nd, 3rd, fourth, and on? This is absolutely pathetic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=313230183

Um, it was NATIONAL news... That's how plenty of news outlets report "first games" played by teams following inclusion in national stories.

Were they supposed to pretend the accusation didn't happen? It'd be kinda hard being as they are smack dab in the middle of it.

People need to stop pretending ESPN as a whole is out to get us.

Seriously, what good would it do ESPN to take down, arguably, one of the 10 most profitable basketball teams they cover (profitable for them, that is)

Yes, Mark Schwartz did seem a little over zealous a first... I'd go as far to say as he seemed like he had an axe to grind in his initial report...

But, he toned it down exponentially in all subsequent reports and most of the other personalities at the net have been skeptical to this point. (Gottlieb, Cowherd, Mike & Mike, Van Pelt, Bilas, Vitale, etc...)

Stop getting pissed because ESPN didn't act like the accusations never happened in a simple headline.

BTW, here's the WASHINGTON POST Headline: No. 5 Syracuse romps over Colgate 92-47 in 1st game after abuse allegations

And the Fox News Headline: Syracuse wins in midst of Fine allegations

Are the Washington Post and Fox News out to get us too?

Um, it was NATIONAL news... That's how plenty of news outlets report "first games" played by teams following inclusion in national stories.

Were they supposed to pretend the accusation didn't happen? It'd be kinda hard being as they are smack dab in the middle of it.

People need to stop pretending ESPN as a whole is out to get us.

Seriously, what good would it do ESPN to take down, arguably, one of the 10 most profitable basketball teams they cover (profitable for them, that is)

Yes, Mark Schwartz did seem a little over zealous a first... I'd go as far to say as he seemed like he had an axe to grind in his initial report...

But, he toned it down exponentially in all subsequent reports and most of the other personalities at the net have been skeptical to this point. (Gottlieb, Cowherd, Mike & Mike, Van Pelt, Bilas, Vitale, etc...)

Stop getting pissed because ESPN didn't act like the accusations never happened in a simple headline.

BTW, here's the WASHINGTON POST Headline: No. 5 Syracuse romps over Colgate 92-47 in 1st game after abuse allegations

And the Fox News Headline: Syracuse wins in midst of Fine allegations

Are the Washington Post and Fox News out to get us too?

It was an AP story. ESPN and Washington Post used the same AP story and AP headline. I said nothing about espn in my post. I was commenting on an AP story.

I have a journalism background. That story has serious structural error. The game info should come first because that's the news or at least something about it to include score and star of the game. The news feature begins with the actual news. Then comes the background information.

I see nothing wrong with the headline saying"winning its first game since allegations" It's big news still, regardless of how much we may disagree, it's just a headline that no one will pay attention to. Sure seems like we're nitpicking in this thread.

I see nothing wrong with the headline saying"winning its first game since allegations" It's big news still, regardless of how much we may disagree, it's just a headline that no one will pay attention to. Sure seems like we're nitpicking in this thread.
I agree that "if it bleeds, it leads". But that story is structurally very poor.

The allegations were first made in 2003. We've had 282 games since then. This was the first game since they showed up on ESPN.

The Schwartz story was one of the most biased, poorly researched and reported pieces I've ever seen (and it's not because I went to Syracuse). As an example, he reported on allegations without ever using the word alleged. Who doesn't use the word. The news called Dahmer an alleged cannibal AFTER they found a half-eaten head in his refrigerator. The leading questions alone warrant a reprimand from ESPN. I think it's going to be a story in itself when we find out how this story came out. I would not doubt that Schwartz contacted Davis first.

This is a "news school." The journalists here should be upset.