Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 WRs transferred in from UGA and 4 more coming in as recruits. We're fine with or without Alford
I guess, if he got “the talk” then seems a bit… unneeded. Why throw out players who can help

I guess, if he got “the talk” then seems a bit… unneeded. Why throw out players who can help
Because he didn’t want to be here; Fran is clearly very big on morale, effort and loyalty. Probably doesn’t want that stuff to spread. Either all in or they’re out.

This is a very different way of doing things from what we’re all accustomed to.

Because he didn’t want to be here; Fran is clearly very big on morale, effort and loyalty. Probably doesn’t want that stuff to spread. Either all in or they’re out.

So let him go. There is no reason for the word dismissed to be used. And Pete doesn't use that word unless it was used to him. This is the first example of classless by Fran. I hope he learns from this.

Thats a presumptuous statement considering he didn’t transfer after the hire

So let him go. There is no reason for the word dismissed to be used. And Pete doesn't use that word unless it was used to him. This is the first example of classless by Fran. I hope he learns from this.
I mean, he was dismissed. He is staying the rest of the semester so he can graduate. However, he isn't going to participate in team workouts or spring ball. It may sound harsh, but dismissal is a fair characterization.

Absolutely terrible. This kid (or man since he’s 23 i believe) was a captain last season. Acting like a child and getting kicked off the team was not what I expected from him. He’s been feast or famine, but you want seniors with a ton of playing time under their belt who can win you a game or 2. Was probably our best returning home run hitter at a position where we don't have much proven depth. At very worst he's made at least 2 deep game winning catches and was hoping to see him build his senior year. glad Fran is laying the law down and not putting up with this BS. Hope others take note.

Absolutely terrible. This kid (or man since he’s 23 i believe) was a captain last season. Acting like a child and getting kicked off the team was not what I expected from him. He’s been feast or famine, but you want seniors with a ton of playing time under their belt who can win you a game or 2. Was probably our best returning home run hitter at a position where we don't have much proven depth. At very worst he's made at least 2 deep game winning catches and was hoping to see him build his senior year. glad Fran is laying the law down and not putting up with this BS. Hope others take note.

He talked to the staff last Friday, and told them he was considering transferring after graduation in the Spring.

The staff wanted him to reconsider.

How did we go from that to Alford is acting like a child and he deserved to get kicked off?

Did I miss a whole boatload of deleted tweets?

He talked to the staff last Friday, and told them he was considering transferring after graduation in the Spring.

How did we go from that to Alford is acting like a child and he deserved to get kicked off?

There’s rumors of him missing workouts and not doing the community service stuff. Not sure if those rumors are true but that’s probably where the narrative is coming from.

I don't know what happened here. But if it was what Alford said, I would be disappointed in Fran for the first time. No need to annouce that the kid is dismissed if he was leaving anyway. Just let him go. What would be the point?
Well it depends. Was he dismissed for missing classes and workouts? If so then he should be dismissed. For some reason i’m not buying he told Fran and wad automatically dismissed. Maybe he was going to transfer because he was missing workouts. Either way, we knew that we needed some culture changes as Villari said. I have no problem Fran laying the law down if he was missing workouts. He’s going to be 23 in April he's not a child anymore. Missing workouts is immature and not good for the change in culture we need. Good for Fran.

That's one version. His version. If he’s missing workouts and community service then the post stands.

We don’t know that this is what happened. It sounds like a miscommunication. Alford is free to move on, and Fran is allowed to dismiss him ahead of spring ball if he’s going to transfer anyway.

Nobody needs to be the bad guy here.

Yeah that makes absolutely no sense... Which is why I'm fairly certain that's not what happened.

I have no insider insight, and those that do certainly won't share it, but common sense dictates that Alford isn't simply an innocent bystander numbers casualty. If that's the intention there's some lower hanging fruit to purge.

Without knowing Coach Brown's team rules though there's no telling what might've led to dismissal Vs simple parting of ways. Alford did SOMETHING to warrant being made example of I'm guessing, of which we may never know nor have the right to now

Fran Brown is all about relationships. I doubt very much that he just haphazardly dismissed Alford. Even if Alford violated team rules, Fran seems like the kind of coach who will keep it quiet, have the talk and help you find a new home. I’m going to assume it would all make sense if we knew the facts and leave it at that.

Probably not connected to this situation but it was interesting hearing Fran talk on the radio the other day about 3 players missing classes and only 1 of them had a legit excuse. I’m assuming those 2 guys were doing a lot of running during winter conditioning. Usually coaches don’t talk about that stuff in public but sounded like he was trying to make a statement that it will not be tolerated.
I missed that. What show was that on?

And you know the leak to Pete was from Fran ??
I never said that. But it came from, at the very least, someone close to Fran. Pete wouldn't have written it otherwise.

I never said that. But it came from, at the very least, someone close to Fran. Pete wouldn't have written it otherwise.

You wrote "This is the first example of classless by Fran. I hope he learns from this." This is you assuming Fran is the one who leaked to Pete saying he was dismissed.

Yeah that makes absolutely no sense... Which is why I'm fairly certain that's not what happened.

I have no insider insight, and those that do certainly won't share it, but common sense dictates that Alford isn't simply an innocent bystander numbers casualty. If that's the intention there's some lower hanging fruit to purge.

Without knowing Coach Brown's team rules though there's no telling what might've led to dismissal Vs simple parting of ways. Alford did SOMETHING to warrant being made example of I'm guessing, of which we may never know nor have the right to now
It seems like many here are acting like they do know. If that’s the case, so be it, my post only refers to him getting “the talk” as discussed by several posters.

I mean, he was dismissed. He is staying the rest of the semester so he can graduate. However, he isn't going to participate in team workouts or spring ball. It may sound harsh, but dismissal is a fair characterization.
And the word is the proper word to use. He told Fran he was going to transfer after this semester. So Fran told him he was no longer on the team. He was dismissed.

If you're the HC, have 91 players, one of them says they plan to transfer after this semester, why keep the guy in the program? The HC has to figure out who is going to start, the depth chart, and teach the new offense etc. Why have someone taking up your time, time away and reps from your players that you are counting on for the '24 season?

Makes total sense.

Dino used to talk up how his practice regimen would be like the Clint Eastwood Marine movie "Heartbreak Ridge". (Of course it had to be a movie reference.) Sounds like Gunnery Sergeant Tom Highway is actually in charge now.

Jamie Tremble and Emanuel Ross are the future.

Alford was a project. He should apply to New Mexico. But he did make some magnificent plays at SU. One that hasn't been mentioned here: was a TD he scored at BC in '22. With his giant strides he covered a lot of ground and pulled away from defenders going into the end zone. Similar play vs Albany as well.

--vs Albany:
Syracuse's Damien Alford's Scintillating 73-Yard TD Catch | ACC Must See Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online