Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wrote "This is the first example of classless by Fran. I hope he learns from this." This is you assuming Fran is the one who leaked to Pete saying he was dismissed.
No I am saying that he said that he dismissed Alford to someone who told Pete. Might have been Fran himself. But whoever said it to Pete, got it from Fran. Clear enough. And in my opinion, this couldn't have been handled much worse.

In the day and age of the transfer portal, it wouldn't look good for Alford for news to come out that he was "dismissed". He's protecting his image by saying he didn't know he was dismissed...there's no way to know if what Damien tweeted was the truth
True. Nor is there anyway to know that he isn't telling the truth. What is the upside for Syracuse saying that he was dismissed? Just let him go.

No I am saying that he said that he dismissed Alford to someone who told Pete. Might have been Fran himself. But whoever said it to Pete, got it from Fran. Clear enough. And in my opinion, this couldn't have been handled much worse.
The way I look at Fran's tweet makes me think that he agrees with you. He made a mistake, the severity of which can be debated, that can be used against him in recruiting and the tweet was quick damage control.

Of course, I could be totally wrong per usual but that seems most logical to me. And I'm not questioning whether or not Alford should have been dismissed.

The way I look at Fran's tweet makes me think that he agrees with you. He made a mistake, the severity of which can be debated, that can be used against him in recruiting and the tweet was quick damage control.

Of course, I could be totally wrong per usual but that seems most logical to me. And I'm not questioning whether or not Alford should have been dismissed.
I don't think anyone would be able to use this against us in recruiting. They all have their issues that are a lot more than this. I just don't think this was necessary. If he was dismissed, this kid played as hard as he could for what 4 years here. Tell him there is the door but keep it in house.

True. Nor is there anyway to know that he isn't telling the truth. What is the upside for Syracuse saying that he was dismissed? Just let him go.
So there’s no way to know if Alford is telling the truth or not so why go on and on speculating that Fran did something wrong? Fran could have made the tweet he did simply because Alford was publicly upset. It isn’t an indication of guilt.

So there’s no way to know if Alford is telling the truth or not so why go on and on speculating that Fran did something wrong? Fran could have made the tweet he did simply because Alford was publicly upset. It isn’t an indication of guilt.
There was no need to annouce that the kid has been dismissed. Do you think a top quality reporter like Thamel made that up? Just let him leave. The kid gave us as good as he could for 3 or 4 years. What was the point? It's okay to question whether Fran made a mistake or not. He will make mistakes. I think this was one. Just no need to annouce that the kid was dismissed. None. Just let him leave.

There was no need to annouce that the kid has been dismissed. Do you think a top quality reporter like Thamel made that up? Just let him leave. The kid gave us as good as he could for 3 or 4 years. What was the point?
I’d guess they are working out the kinks with Thamel

I’d guess they are working out the kinks with Thamel
?? In what way? If you tell a reporter something and don't say this is off the record before you tell him, that is on the record. There are no kinks to that. As our former hoops coach found out.

?? In what way? If you tell a reporter something and don't say this is off the record before you tell him, that is on the record. There are no kinks to that. As our former hoops coach found out.
There is no way that the football program wanted to give this news to Thamel. It's not like they publicly announced it. For all we know, the source could have been a grad assistant, strength coach, literally anyone involved with the program

And this really isn't a big issue...noone other than us on this board is still going to be talking about this by the next few days

There was no need to annouce that the kid has been dismissed. Do you think a top quality reporter like Thamel made that up? Just let him leave. The kid gave us as good as he could for 3 or 4 years. What was the point? It's okay to question whether Fran made a mistake or not. He will make mistakes. I think this was one. Just no need to annouce that the kid was dismissed. None. Just let him leave.
I don’t think Thamel made anything up but miscommunications happen all the time, especially if it’s second or third hand info.

Last edited:
There is no way that the football program wanted to give this news to Thamel. It's not like they publicly announced it. For all we know, the source could have been a grad assistant, strength coach, literally anyone involved with the program

And this really isn't a big issue...noone other than us on this board is still going to be talking about this by the next few days
Exactly

I think it’s accurate to say he blocked well.
Unfortunately, too many times he blocked the pass that was being thrown to him- very inconsistent but he made some big plays and I thought he got better during the course of last season.

I am the biggest Fran Brown fan on this board. I sent money to the collective after seeing him speak for the first time. But this could have been handled a lot better. It's the type of mistake you make when you are new at a job.
I’m thinking he used the word dismissed to show potential recruits around the country that he has swag, and that the Syracuse program is tough. I think this feeds into DART messaging.

Master recruiter and motivator. I’m riding the Coach Fran swag train.

It seems like many here are acting like they do know. If that’s the case, so be it, my post only refers to him getting “the talk” as discussed by several posters.
I take it as random conjecture as is standard off season boredom fare. We got spoiled with new coaching staff and flurry of higher profile commits. Now is mostly behind the scenes work to build the team and we'll all start discussing uniform fonts and the like for a few months

bingo. most leaks aren't purposeful. it's why they're leaks.

it got out and alford tried to spin it, and quickly realized, that was a bad look (probably because he was lying or for some other reasons). Fran says something nice about him, everyone moves on.

The obsession over Alford's potential on this board was far greater than his actual abilities. He had four years to put it together, he never did outside a few glimpses here or there. He had too many drops to be reliable. And if he was missing team activities, he wasn't fully committed. That's all there is to it.

Fran ain't playing around. As he has said outside of the DART mantra wants kids that are committed that he can trust. One other thing in there too that I can't remember. Alford better off spending his last year somewhere else if he wasn't on board anyway, IMO.
My guess BC, UConn or UMass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors