Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.
The board wanted a big boy football program then cry when we act like a big boy football program.
Dino was as PC as they come and only had 2 winning seasons, pretty much led the league in penalties every year. I like the direct approach that Fran has. He is a tough no nonsense leader who isn't worried about being smooth. He isn't " Grandpa"

Even though we obviously don’t know what truly happened, this is perhaps the most encouraging thing I’ve seen Fran do yet, aside from the recruiting. There’s going to be a lot of sparks flying as this is a massive culture change that’s underway.

Program first, players second.

Agreed.

We’ve been bad or mediocre for over two decades.

How many more years do people think we can float at that level? Its go time. Fran is the head coach.

He has to get talent in, win games and bring in money.

We don’t have anymore runway.

The old way is out. New world order is in. You think the way Damien Alford was handled will impact the next four star guy Fran is chasing?

It’s a money game now. You wanna get paid for what you do outside of the classroom? Well that comes with (and should) more responsibility and doing what’s asked- that’s growing up into a man faster and for some kids and their families maybe too soon- for those who understand this is what it takes then perfect. Respect is earned and some will grant it based on seniority others want everyone to prove it and Fran seems the latter

This ^^^. If I told my boss I was job hunting I’d be let go instantly.
I'm fairly agnostic about this situation, but I don't think this is a good analogy.

A head coach can't be talking about developing young men and all that stuff, then kick a guy off the team who's genuinely trying to figure out his path.

I mean, he *can*, obviously, but it reveals the "developing young men" stuff to be a lot of hot air.

Now, I know that it is a lot of hot air. And every HC who yaps about that is full of .

But most try to maintain the illusion.

Specific to this situation, I have no idea how genuine Alford was, and neither does anyone else. Just saying that it's not at all akin to someone telling their employer they are looking to leave. I doubt very few bosses talk about "developing young men".

I'm fairly agnostic about this situation, but I don't think this is a good analogy.

A head coach can't be talking about developing young men and all that stuff, then kick a guy off the team who's genuinely trying to figure out his path.

I mean, he *can*, obviously, but it reveals the "developing young men" stuff to be a lot of hot air.

Now, I know that it is a lot of hot air. And every HC who yaps about that is full of .

Specific to this situation, I have no idea how genuine Alford was, and neither does anyone else. Just saying that it's not at all akin to someone telling their employer they are looking to leave. I doubt very few bosses talk about "developing young men".
Respectfully disagree; he’s their head coach not their family member. He has said numerous times that his biggest priorities are “are you committed?” and “can I trust you?”.

He doesn’t have the time to be pouring into someone who is just going to bounce as soon as they get the opportunity. Program first, players second.

Respectfully disagree; he’s their head coach not their family member. He has said numerous times that his biggest priorities are “are you committed?” and “can I trust you?”.

He doesn’t have the time to be pouring into someone who is just going to bounce as soon as they get the opportunity. Program first, players second.
That's fine, but it's not analogous to an employer/employee situation, which was the point of my post.

I'm certain that his entire pitch to recruits and transfers isn't "are you committed?". We know there's a large element of "development", both personally, academically and athletically, in that pitch.

I've never worked for someone who tried to sell me on joining the company because of the personal development I would receive.

And like I said, I don't really care about what happened. Not every situation requires me to have an opinion.

16 pages on this is amazing to me. However it shook out the University has to be the bigger person here publicly. Fran can deliver his "there's a new sheriff in town" speech privately to the team, but publicly the school needs to let the player off in the best light possible. Minor toe stub, not a 16 page deal, will have no impact on the program, but a misstep.

That's fine, but it's not analogous to an employer/employee situation, which was the point of my post.

I'm certain that his entire pitch to recruits and transfers isn't "are you committed?". We know there's a large element of "development", both personally, academically and athletically, in that pitch.

I've never worked for someone who tried to sell me on joining the company because of the personal development I would receive.

And like I said, I don't really care about what happened. Not every situation requires me to have an opinion.
It absolutely is analogous… I was recruited to work for company X, received benefits of company X and if I said I was entertaining going elsewhere I’d be let go.

You want to use the develop young man trope? Fine, maybe Brown is teaching him about actions and consequences. It’s like telling your boss you want to shop for a better job but in the meantime still collect a paycheck.

Stop coddling kids and show them how the real world works, the moment you get paid (NIL) you are a professional act accordingly. You want to get paid like an adult you get treated like one.

It absolutely is analogous… I was recruited to work for company X, received benefits of company X and if I said I was entertaining going elsewhere I’d be let go.

You want to use the develop young man trope? Fine, maybe Brown is teaching him about actions and consequences. It’s like telling your boss you want to shop for a better job but in the meantime still collect a paycheck.

Stop coddling kids and show them how the real world works, the moment you get paid (NIL) you are a professional act accordingly. You want to get paid like an adult you get treated like one.
There is some merit to this for sure. The NIL stuff is a game to many these days but it has consequences for sure. I think duce learned a valuable lesson here as well. You want the $ and a big time program well guess what they don't care about you or the peanuts ( grand scheme) they paid you to play there, you don't produce on the field you will sit the bench and they go onto the next.

The Alford thing is a big deal only to a few nerds on the internet and I include myself in that group because I am still posting about it. That said... NEXT in line

Does anyone really know what happened here, or did (reliable) insiders draw a line in the sand based on what they heard and everyone is picking which side to stand on. Not to mention probably disagreeing with those that they often find themselves disagreeing with. (after all, it's the American way).

I guess we don't have a choice, we'll probably never hear the whole story. But we do know that Fran has more players than he's allowed to carry on scholarship, so it's possible that difficult discussions lead to contentious situations.

Yep, now I'm speculating too. It's infectious.

Does anyone really know what happened here, or did (reliable) insiders draw a line in the sand based on what they heard and everyone is picking which side to stand on. Not to mention probably disagreeing with those that they often find themselves disagreeing with. (after all, it's the American way).

I guess we don't have a choice, we'll probably never hear the whole story. But we do know that Fran has more players than he's allowed to carry on scholarship, so it's possible that difficult discussions lead to contentious situations.

Yep, now I'm speculating too. It's infectious.

Nailed it

People love hypotheticals, here’s one, maybe he’s assessing grad programs and trying to figure out if there was a better fit outside of SU for what he wants to do with his life. He could have been conflicted between wanting to play here but a grad program somewhere else.

Coach can manage the roster any way he wants to.

Disappointed to lose an experienced asset with the traits he had, but not my call. Wonder why now and why make it public the way it was, People talk big boy football and it’s a business, but none of has to mean you don’t take care of your players as well.

Pouring what? The players are the program. If he’s letting kids who he already told they are gone work with the team why is this any different? There’s no impact to the “Program” having one more player working out why he sorts things out.

I don’t know what you do for a living but in my world if you are worth a damn you get a counter what can we do to keep you, not summary dismissal.

I don’t know what you do for a living but in my world if you are worth a damn you get a counter what can we do to keep you, not summary dismissal.
Depends on where you work … some are very sensitive with you gathering potential IP before bolting to a competitor. Maybe you should read the success rates of “counteroffers” a lot of companies have studied this and make decisions accordingly. If your employer isn’t doing it feel fortunate.

80% of candidates who accept a counter offer from their current employer end up leaving within 6 months.

- stat from LinkedIn

Developing young men and developing every young man are not the same thing. If guys buy into the culture, they’re going to get developed. The military develops young men too but if they don’t buy into the culture then they wash out and go elsewhere. It doesn’t mean that the military doesn’t develop young men. They just don’t develop every young man.

Last edited:
It’s a money game now. You wanna get paid for what you do outside of the classroom? Well that comes with (and should) more responsibility and doing what’s asked- that’s growing up into a man faster and for some kids and their families maybe too soon- for those who understand this is what it takes then perfect. Respect is earned and some will grant it based on seniority others want everyone to prove it and Fran seems the latter

I’m sure Alford is a great kid. Truly.

I think some people in this thread who have cheered our current recruiting upswing should go check out what occurs with big time programs.

It’s not nice. It’s rough.

I’m not saying what happened here is right or wrong. Don’t have the info. Don’t want to.

What I’m saying is we’re in it now. And the time for getting the vapors over certain things has to come to an end.

Fran Brown isn’t going to have a five step session over Alford.

Depends on where you work … some are very sensitive with you gathering potential IP before bolting to a competitor. Maybe you should read the success rates of “counteroffers” a lot of companies have studied this and make decisions accordingly. If your employer isn’t doing it feel fortunate.

80% of candidates who accept a counter offer from their current employer end up leaving within 6 months.

- stat from LinkedIn
That’s different than being walked out the door. And who is going to plan on stealing IP and tell their employer they are thinking of leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom