damn shame how the program has been treated the last 20 years | Syracusefan.com

damn shame how the program has been treated the last 20 years

Don

2nd String
After McCord commitment and reading in various places i was not only struck by how much negative comments he got from Ohio ST fans but the overall almost laughing at the thought of SU Football. I mean from comments like i didnt even know they played football anymore to oh he will lead them to a 6 win season and this was coming from other than Ohio state fans. The mockery of the program is sad.

I hope Fran can do more than recruit and his staff can bring us back to respectable at least . It was an eye opener to see how fans from all over view the program in its current state.

After McCord commitment and reading in various places i was not only struck by how much negative comments he got from Ohio ST fans but the overall almost laughing at the thought of SU Football. I mean from comments like i didnt even know they played football anymore to oh he will lead them to a 6 win season and this was coming from other than Ohio state fans. The mockery of the program is sad.

I hope Fran can do more than recruit and his staff can bring us back to respectable at least . It was an eye opener to see how fans from all over view the program in its current state.
OSU fans can be a special brand of stupid.

The world needs ditch diggers too.

Time to get out of the ditch take over a chain of Chipotle's...

Last edited:
I believe we NOW have a top 5 recruiter...a top 10 recruiter...and a top 25 recruiter.
I believe we have new facilities in place with more to come.
I believe we have new S&C personnel coming in.
I believe the NIL program is NOW competitive.

LAUGH NOW ( I can't say/print it)...

The B1G is going to get rampaged by the PAC12 newcomers. The days of The Ohio State having an easy king of the roost spot are over. Why do you think McCord got out of there, the writings on the wall. Nebuchadnezzar's kingdom is no more.

Listening to the morning shows on Sirius, including the ACC Network. The weird thing to me is how many had no clue McCord to SU was in the works.
Yea and they blew it off by saying he only came because of Fran Brown who will be at a bigger program in 36 months.

Give me a break, like nobody could imagine leading this program longer term or that we don’t have the money to pay for said coach (we do)

We literally just paid through the nose (top 20 $$$/years) to extend a coach who looked to be program changing 5 years ago. We didn’t lose him to a ‘bigger program’ even though he was one of the hottest commodities on the market at the time. (The fact that we wished we lost him in retrospect is not relevant here!)

The thing is, even at its BEST Syracuse was always disrespected nationally thanks to a bias against Eastern football. And that has clearly grown worse at a time when simultaneously a) Syracuse declined and b) the "power" teams have consolidated into the Big 10 and SEC.

I was wondering what they would say after learning that they had said there was no way McCord was siging with the Orange
McCord signing to the Cuse is basically saying that Syracuse has better chance to make the playoffs than tOSU. LOL, they are going to lose it in Buckeye land.

We haven't been the greatest...

Let the haters, hate. My hope is that Fran can bring us back to the national conversation. Let em hate Northeast football, too.

I hope when the music stops, we have a seat at the Big Boy table. In the end, that's what really matters.

It's been 22 years since Freeney, 25 years since McNabb.

Which means for anyone 30 years old or younger, Syracuse has been nothing more than the occasional good blip on the radar.

Doesn't matter though, we're changing perceptions now. Many of those Ohio State fans have admitted (as have other big boy schools) that they know Fran Brown's reputation.

Only winning will end it, and that is on us. That being said, during the P era the folks at ESPN never really got behind us in the way they did for Virginia Tech who they treated as the up-and-coming darling of the CFB world. It's actually kind of fun to be the outsider doing well, so long as we don't end up on the outside looking in, whatever that will mean in the grand re-organization of the sport.

Last edited:
Keep it to last six years:
2018. 10-3. bowl win
2019. 5-7. Missed opportunity and let down. Should have been a bowling year.
2020. 1-10. Complete failure of a year. Ten win season goodwill all but erased from memory.
2021. 5-7. Let down and should have gotten 6 and a bowl.
2022. Start out 6-0 and absolutely wheels fell off bus. Bowl defeat. 7-6 record.
2023. Start out 4-0 and again wheels fall off the bus completely. Coach change. Lucky to get 6 and a bowl. 6-6.

34-39 over those six years. Three bowl appearance. One bowl win (TBD if we get second).

Definition of "mid" program.

Had we won one more game in 2019 and 2021, even though at minimum it would be two more wins, the perception would be slightly different. It would have meant bowl game in 5 of 6 years.

Still "mid" overall performance, but overall the perception would be that we are an average program, not an afterthought

I was going to make a similar post, you beat me to it.

The last two weeks has really solidified the "what the hell have we been doing the last 20 years?"

my ire was more directed at the previous leadership at the school. I mean this guy walks in and in two weeks he is bring in guys who wouldnt even sniff SU before. These kinds of players didnt just appear in NJ they been there all along.

Even Marrone didnt get this kind of player. of course he didnt appear to like much of anything about recruting,

The previous AD's and and admins had to know these kind of players were not even sniffing us before, why did they let this happen? Its totally at there feet. Like I say it wasnt just the Ohio State fans giving us the business it was all over.

This was just my spilled milk post i guess I am very happy for Coach Fran and should be so glad her is here(and i am) but wow what could have been

I think some of that is reality, but don't forget most of the pissants that post that stuff are trolls trying to get people riled up and don't have much historical perspective of college football.

Dude, where you been last 20 years, we were bad, now we're mediocre. We deserve every opinion and dismissive statement we got. Now things are looking up, so at least there's that.

I have to think that a big part of Frans plan had to do with NIL, and Wildhack made it happen. Hopefully, a long term plan.

If somehow we were swallowed into the B10? Payouts are estimated to be near $100M in just a few years. If we get left behind, its bad for the school, AND the community. Its no wonder the Mayor posted about Cuse football.. We NEED a seat when the music stops.

We used to be a big deal. We can be again. Its now, or never.

dude thats the whole point we didnt have to be bad for 20 years, its like somebody had to try to make us this bad or didnt care