Dan Conley | Syracusefan.com

Dan Conley

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
If you didn't know and were wondering, Dan Conley is now coaching the defense at Cicero North Syracuse HS here in Syracuse.

Sorry if someone had already mentioned this. I just found out myself today.

From that, I gather that he's only doing radio commentary for home games.

He needs to have hands on involvement in the game... that's just who he is.

Hope he does well there. Best SU linebacker I have seen in 30 years of following the program. He would have been an NFL star if it weren't for all the injuries
This

One of my favorite players. Too bad he wasn't cut out to coach at the college level. He still bleeds Orange

Btw, if you saw Orange Sidelines (or whatever it is called) the other night, Glen Young and Billy Scharr were on the show. Young is the DC for Brockport St. while Scharr is doing play by play announcing for the University of Rochester.

Btw, if you saw Orange Sidelines (or whatever it is called) the other night, Glen Young and Billy Scharr were on the show. Young is the DC for Brockport St. while Scharr is doing play by play announcing for the University of Rochester.
Young and Conley together were outstanding. Didn't realize Young was back on this side of the border. I know he played CFL for a bit.

OburgOrange said:
Young and Conley together were outstanding. Didn't realize Young was back on this side of the border. I know he played CFL for a bit.

Played CFL then was a player/coach there. Went to Michigan St to get a grad degree and was a GA. Coached a couple places as a ST coach and is now at Brockport.

Dan Conley was an excellent college coach. Marrone had it out for him! He was on good terms with SS.I seem to recall that two converted running backs became pretty good line backers under Dan.

Dan Conley was an excellent college coach. Marrone had it out for him! He was on good terms with SS.I seem to recall that two converted running backs became pretty good line backers under Dan.
How did Marrone have it out for him?

I don't think Marrone wanted Conley and looked for any reason to get rid of him. Not sure the reason why, or if it was anything Dan did, but I heard that it was a poor relationship from the start.

Full_Rebar said:
I don't think Marrone wanted Conley and looked for any reason to get rid of him. Not sure the reason why, or if it was anything Dan did, but I heard that it was a poor relationship from the start.

Why did Marrone keep Conley as a holdover from Grobs staff? He stayed on with Marrone for what? 3 years?

If you didn't know and were wondering, Dan Conley is now coaching the defense at Cicero North Syracuse HS here in Syracuse.

Sorry if someone had already mentioned this. I just found out myself today.

Dan is very good on radio and TV.

Explains the game quite well.

Why did Marrone keep Conley as a holdover from Grobs staff? He stayed on with Marrone for what? 3 years?
Then fired him for no reason I am aware of, so what is your point. Personality conflict, I do not know, but seemed to do a pretty good job at LB coaching. Having no inside knowledge of the why's, it just seemed an odd dismissal to me. Then for Marrone to leave the following year made it more strange.

SUbear said:
Then fired him for no reason I am aware of, so what is your point. Personality conflict, I do not know, but seemed to do a pretty good job at LB coaching. Having no inside knowledge of the why's, it just seemed an odd dismissal to me. Then for Marrone to leave the following year made it more strange.

Someone said Marrone had it in for Conley. If so, why keep him at all when Grob was canned. Why keep him for 3 years. That was my question, not " point".

Good question- just what I heard. Will see if there is more to the story.

Someone said Marrone had it in for Conley. If so, why keep him at all when Grob was canned. Why keep him for 3 years. That was my question, not " point".
Coach Mac.

He fired him because he felt he needed to upgrade the position. A coach wouldn't retain a guy from the previous staff if he "had it in for him". After three years Marrone decided to go in a different direction. DC wasn't the first guy Marrone decided to make a change with. He fired some of the assistant coaches he hired himself before he fired Conley.

He fired him because he felt he needed to upgrade the position. A coach wouldn't retain a guy from the previous staff if he "had it in for him". After three years Marrone decided to go in a different direction. DC wasn't the first guy Marrone decided to make a change with. He fired some of the assistant coaches he hired himself before he fired Conley.
Not saying he should or should not have let him, just that the timing of that dismissal was strange to me, as I said I have no knowledge as to his reasons. All of these coaches, assistant or even head coaches, should realize their jobs are at best year to year.
I saw no major upgrade in the coach that replaced Dan, in fact line backing seemed to be somewhat less well coached, but just my opinion.

Dan worked with Shafer. Wonder why SS didn't bring him back?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom