Dave Robertson might be easier to sign | Syracusefan.com

Dave Robertson might be easier to sign

CaliCuse

All American
now that the Yankees have some other series late game pitcher in hand. Miller Betances and maybe Lindgren. The Yanks could take a less approach with David. If Robertson signs with the Astros the Yanks are going to get a quality draft pick out of the deal. If I was Cashman I wouldn't up the offer to Robertson. bAll the pitching basses are covered except for another starter apt to be Mitchell or Banuelos. Whiteley is still in the picture and even Warren is a good possibility although he has shown well as a long relief guy.

Robertson to White Sox. 4 years, 46 million.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf...ite_sox_sign_david_robertson_source_says.html

The Yanks swapped DRob for Miller and saved $10 million.
There are reports that theYankees really want that compensation pick from the Sox I don't think he will be missed all THAT much The Yanks have plenty of arms to try their ability as a closer. Miller at this time thinks of himself as a set-up man. Thats now but when the season starts and he gets called into a gam the adrenaline will say something else.

Silly to lose Robertson -- a durable, proven commodity in NY now in his prime -- over few a few million per year, IMO, and particularly so considering the club's penchant for signing aging and/or fragile players to bad contracts.

In the end you're talking about giving a reliever close to $50 million. They got a damn good lefty for a lot less, a comp pick and now someone else can fill a new roll as the other reliever's move up. The money saved can be spent on someone else.

Pretty much agree. Cashman has gotten decent value out of the "trade" of Robertson for Miller. Relievers are a quirky bunch, 1 year a guy might be unhittable, the next year he's giving up 4 runs in mop-up duty. The closer job is probably the most overrated position in the game right now. Rivera was special in that you could trust him to do the job year-in year-out. None of these guys are close to Rivera, so don't spend that kind of cash on them.

They have the right idea now, just load up on power arms. Find a few ones that are hot, and ride them for outs as long as you can. If someone struggles, move the pieces around and find the next guy to get those final 3.

In the end you're talking about giving a reliever close to $50 million. They got a damn good lefty for a lot less, a comp pick and now someone else can fill a new roll as the other reliever's move up. The money saved can be spent on someone else.
Pretty much agree. Cashman has gotten decent value out of the "trade" of Robertson for Miller. Relievers are a quirky bunch, 1 year a guy might be unhittable, the next year he's giving up 4 runs in mop-up duty. The closer job is probably the most overrated position in the game right now. Rivera was special in that you could trust him to do the job year-in year-out. None of these guys are close to Rivera, so don't spend that kind of cash on them.

They have the right idea now, just load up on power arms. Find a few ones that are hot, and ride them for outs as long as you can. If someone struggles, move the pieces around and find the next guy to get those final 3.
I liked Robertson because he was a consistent, proven and durable commodity, and just the kind of power arm around which to build a shutdown bullpen.

There is certainly the risk of the unknown if you ask Betances or Miller to close (or bring in someone like Jason Grilli to fill the role). To me, if you can go to 4 years/$36 million for Miller, it makes little sense to walk away from Robertson for slightly more per year. The comp pick is nice, but it's far from a sure thing that it will translate into a key piece, and any impact will be several years down the road.

I liked Robertson because he was a consistent, proven and durable commodity, and just the kind of power arm around which to build a shutdown bullpen.

There is certainly the risk of the unknown if you ask Betances or Miller to close (or bring in someone like Jason Grilli to fill the role). To me, if you can go to 4 years/$36 million for Miller, it makes little sense to walk away from Robertson for slightly more per year. The comp pick is nice, but it's far from a sure thing that it will translate into a key piece, and any impact will be several years down the road.

Nothing is a sure thing, just as Robertson performing well as a closer again. Also, Robertson was more finesse, and not a power arm. Yankees have been very good with their bullpen under Giaradi, and finding quality arms. Its not slightly more, its $12 million more which can net you another player, or added onto Scherzer or McCarthy's contracts. As for the comp pick, the Yankees #1 and #4 prospects were comp picks just 2 years ago. The pick is pretty important

Last edited: