Day 4 - the reckoning | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Day 4 - the reckoning

Have we ever had a year with so much turnover?

The sad thing is, is that I don't think any of the players were forced to leave (due to graduation). I surmise that we've never had such a year, and will never have another such a year ever again.
College basketball has never had a year with so much turnover. It’s not a Syracuse specific thing.

This is when we need Dior recontacting us that he reclassified to 21 and is coming and bringing guys with him

And this was supposed to be the year that we were all to be grateful just to have the opportunity to play... lol

We be fine. If you're over 40 and you've been a fan of the program, we've pretty much seen it all. Losing a good PG and and a few others will not be the fall of the empire. Let the chips fall and deal...

We’re losing our entire freshman class. Lol, what a joke. This program is cooked.
A lot of teams are ... but I think this is something that's been endemic to the program for a while - kids just didn't have the option for a freebie transfer. I think there's a possible reason why other guys have stuck around just long enough to get interest from the NBA and then they bolt. They probably would have transferred out as well. I don't know.

This has been established lol.
Yup. I was late to the party.
Wasn’t making the Sweet 16 an up?
The OP was about this week. Sweet 16 was old news. And Saturday night's game definitely wasn't an up. Thursday's was. So it depends if you want to go back seven days or just this calendar week. We need to find small victories

Between the one and dones and now the portal I have almost zero interest in college basketball. It’s pretty sad how the game has changed so much in the past decade or so. Having a team and watching players develop over years is not a thing anymore. I’m guessing this huge turnover is the new norm now. Money has ruined college basketball. They need to let the good players go to the nba and put back the development players into college. I’m okay with a lesser quality game if it means we can enjoy a team sport again.
It sure isn't the game veteran fans knew.
And to think it really bothered me when it became ok to palm the basketball instead of really dribbling.

The money for personal appearances, etc. will change it even more.
Colleges just become ever more fronts for basketball teams that become more and more like pro teams.
Academics?
What's that again?
Oh yeah...the stuff those Ivy League schools seem to care about.

Last edited:
And this was supposed to be the year that we were all to be grateful just to have the opportunity to play... lol

We be fine. If you're over 40 and you've been a fan of the program, we've pretty much seen it all. Losing a good PG and and a few others will not be the fall of the empire. Let the chips fall and deal...
We need to find a Sherman Douglas. Is that even possible?

We’re losing our entire freshman class. Lol, what a joke. This program is cooked.
We only recruited one player for 2021 as well.
We only OFFERED one Hs guard in the 2021 class recruiting.

Another splendid job managing the roster.

Torrence will give us 3 guards but unless we get an actual PG good job.

Had this debate with my father last night. Without any inside info, he said he thought three would be it, I definitely prefer having a fourth.

College basketball has never had a year with so much turnover. It’s not a Syracuse specific thing.
Wait until NIL kicks in and kids go home for the summer and find out their Hs teammate got paid big $$$$$ at State U...

I'd like to resubmit my leaving the cupboard bare comment from earlier...

As odd as this sounds it would have been easier to lose KR if he was already the starter. Now you are recruiting backups because Joe is the starter and an elite transfer is harder to both sell on the opportunity and has a disadvantage vs a kid with 2 yrs in the program based on how JB approaches it. We aren't a leopard changing it's spots and any kid we go after in the Portal is gonna know what the situation is. I am actually more worried about failing to get much out of the portal than I am being down to 3-4 guys. It's the difficulty of getting talent back.

UNC may lose a ton but they are still going to hit a homer in the portal. Likely same with a lot of others who lose many kids.

I, for one, appreciate the players coordinating their announcements to give us something new to talk about every day.

Or maybe they just forgot their portal login passwords and it's taking some long than others to reset.

The one time NCAA leader in career assists and Cuse all time leading scorer? That should be easy enough. Maybe we can find a Derrick Coleman too, while we’re at it.
Well, he was VERY under recruited. He was Thompson’s for the taking, but I think he had a feud with the Spingard coach. (The brain is fascinating. I can remember that, but constantly have to re-learn how to do a screen shot.)

Losing these players, especially Kadary, really hurts, no other way to spin that, if he stays I think we are a top 20 team next year. And I do agree with others that there are some issues with JB and his inability to relate, communicate and ultimate "coach" kids these days. But, and I know im going to get pounded for this, we should take a step back from the world is ending/this program is dead views and look at the positives that currently exist. I always found that to be a helpful exercise in difficult and darker times. First, what we have left are two seasoned guards and one of the better players in the conference in Buddy. While JG3 definitely has his weakness' he was playing better toward the end of the season and has an opportunity to improve during the off season. We also have a 5* recruit coming in who should be an upgrade over what Braswell & Griffin, imho. Edwards really started to play well come the end of the year and could be a nice piece with some off season work. We will see what happens with Quincy and his pro prospects. IF, he does return we are in decent shape. Finally, there are a million kids in the portal, and some nice players available. And we still are Syracuse, a team who just made the sweet 16 for the 7th time in 12 years with a HOF basketball coach. We will get some decent players to transfer in who will fit the system. If Braswell can get the amount of burn he did (no offense to BBBB he's a nice player but has a limited skill set for a 3rd yr player) we can find someone to fill that type of roll. Ultimately we will field a team, who will compete because, for as much as I have to admit, JB gets his teams ready come year end (and I am faaaar from a JB apologist).
That said, I feel the pain that everyone here does as a fan, and im not happy that this program isnt where it was in the 80's & 90's when I went to games as a kid, or in the 2000's when I was a student on the Hill. And im not satisfied with where things are now, and this program has work a head of it to get better. But we will field a competitive team, we will have a winning season, probably make the tourny again (gonna get some fun reply's on that comment lol) next year, and we will all be there cheering them on.

Well, he was VERY under recruited. He was Thompson’s for the taking, but I think he had a feud with the Spingard coach. (The brain is fascinating. I can remember that, but constantly have to re-learn how to do a screen shot.)
Spingarn.

Alma Mater of Dave Bing and. . .Elgin Baylor!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom