Dayton game is personal | Syracusefan.com

Dayton game is personal

gilardino

Starter
and I hope that the coaches and players treat it that way. One of the most disappointing ends to a season that loss in Buffalo was. Why Tyler Ennis who was driving for layups the whole game settled for a 17 footer with 15 seconds left, I will never understand. Rumor was JB went off on Ennis and Grant after that game, and I hope that rumor is true. Ennis's legacy was losing to Dayton. Grant came up big with 4 rebounds that game as well. 4 rebounds????

See how biter I sound? The team has to feel it this Friday and I hope that we go out there and beat Dayton.

You in or out? Lets get this done. Trevor and Mike need to finish off the job Ennis could not, BEAT DAYTON!!!!

I agree. The team needs to take this personally the same as the fan base. Come out strong and never let up. We can't have their usual tailspin at the end of the first half. Play forty minutes and advance to Sunday. LGO!!

Really, he lit them up after that game? Not saying it would be undeserved, but it doesn't seem like JB on a last game of season. If he did, it is proof that he thought they were coming back.

Really, he lit them up after that game? Not saying it would be undeserved, but it doesn't seem like JB on a last game of season. If he did, it is proof that he thought they were coming back.
Much more interested in the rumor about JB ripping Ennis and Grant than the personal nature of this game.

Assuming the post game ripping is accurate ... Was part of Boeheim's anger a result of the two of them looking closely at the NBA? If so - maybe understandable in view of game performance, but still kind of poor form for post game loss in the NCAAT. If it was solely due to poor performance, then that's really bad form after a season ending game. Will be interesting to see if either of those guys come back for visits while JB is still here.

Assuming the post game ripping is accurate ... Was part of Boeheim's anger a result of the two of them looking closely at the NBA? If so - maybe understandable in view of game performance, but still kind of poor form for post game loss in the NCAAT. If it was solely due to poor performance, then that's really bad form after a season ending game. Will be interesting to see if either of those guys come back for visits while JB is still here.

Jerami already came back. He was at the Florida State win earlier this year so, if true, he must be over it.

Hell, two-thirds of the key players on these teams are different now. Hard for me to work up any emotion over what happened two years ago. Just survive and advance.

I feel the same way. It stunk to lose that game but our inability to hit ONE outside shot didn't cause me to build up any real bitterness toward Dayton.

Nah, I disagree, it's the half court shot vs Pitt.

The end of the season was awful, but I think people still look back at Ennis fondly.
It's a half-court shot now?

We're all entitled to our own memories but when I think of Ennis, I don't feel a fondness. Far from it. I think second-round loss/no-show and leaving the program earlier than expected.

Is that fair? Heck no. Do I blame him for leaving the program when he did? Nope.

But within the annals of my mind which contains 30 years of SU basketball memories and hundreds of players he leans more toward the regretful what-might-have-been category, as opposed to the warm-and-fuzzy category.

orangenirvana said:

We're all entitled to our own memories but when I think of Ennis, I don't feel a fondness. Far from it. I think second-round loss/no-show and leaving the program earlier than expected.

Is that fair? Heck no. Do I blame him for leaving the program when he did? Nope.

But within the annals of my mind which contains 30 years of SU basketball memories and hundreds of players he leans more toward the regretful what-might-have-been category, as opposed to the warm-and-fuzzy category.

I feel the same. And he was well on his way to cracking my all time top 5 fav cuse players. But man the end of that season and him bolting after 1 year completely changed how ill remember him.

Fair enough..I believe you are in the minority

Fair enough..I believe you are in the minority

I'm in your camp. I remember him for the shot against Pitt, his role as a true freshman PG and playing a huge part in starting the year 25-0, and the countless plays he made down the stretch in close games.

Kinda ridiculous to paint his time here negative for the one time he didn't make a game winner and for when the team as a whole spiraled down the stretch (when he was far from one of the main reasons).

He was a great player who had a great year here and then chased his dream. It's too bad there are people here who try to tarnish that.

I'm in your camp. I remember him for the shot against Pitt, his role as a true freshman PG and playing a huge part in starting the year 25-0, and the countless plays he made down the stretch in close games.

Kinda ridiculous to paint his time here negative for the one time he didn't make a game winner and for when the team as a whole spiraled down the stretch (when he was far from one of the main reasons).

He was a great player who had a great year here and then chased his dream. It's too bad there are people here who try to tarnish that.
Exactly. In retrospect, were his contributions to the program any less than Dion's, who was somewhat of a problem as a freshman, before "getting it" as a sophomore and then leaving to chase his dream?

Who is trying to tarnish anything? I'm just explaining how I feel when Ennis is brought up. Sheesh.

I think when Ennis signed we expected more than one year, and if he stayed one year we expected more than a round of 32 exit. Kind of ironic this team could go just as far with a lot less talent.

Last edited:
I loved Ennis. Can't blame him for doing what he thought was best for him and his family.

Also, I don't blame him one bit for our bad end and early exit 2 years ago. Does anybody remember watching those last 10 games or so? Not only did he carry the team, he was the only one that could even come close to hitting a shot. Don't blame him for the rest of the team's ineptitude. I mean, look at the shots that Cooney heaved up. Butt ugly.

Who is trying to tarnish anything? I'm just explaining how I feel when Ennis is brought up. Sheesh.

I agree. I Don't blame any kid for doing what is right for himself, but it often means they slip in terms of their legacy. There are a lot of players that have come through those doors, so there are a lot of guys who have achieved great things during their time in an SU uniform. Those are the guys who I remember. Guys like Donte Green, Tyler Ennis, Chris McCullough may have been very talented players, great kids etc... but they simply didn't accomplish much during their stay on the hill. I will remember and look more fondly at the guys that played and won more games over them, it's only natural.

Last edited:
This season's freshman Tyler didn't have as flashy a season as that one, but hopefully is more clutch. Time will tell, but if it does come down to a 17 footer, I'd trust him more.

Of course the team using a set play(whether they have a time out or not) that actually works at the end, instead of relying on one player to do it all, would be a thing of beauty.

Grant was sitting behind the bench for the FSU game at the Dome that fell on NBA All Star weekend. McCullough was sitting a few seats away too.

I loved Ennis. Can't blame him for doing what he thought was best for him and his family.

Also, I don't blame him one bit for our bad end and early exit 2 years ago. Does anybody remember watching those last 10 games or so? Not only did he carry the team, he was the only one that could even come close to hitting a shot. Don't blame him for the rest of the team's ineptitude. I mean, look at the shots that Cooney heaved up. Butt ugly.

Possibly the most ridiculous sequence ever. We looked like a bunch of wannabe scrubs in their driveways doing some "3...2...1...at the buzzerrrrrrr!" attemps and coming nowhere close to hitting a shot.

It's quite interesting how some will spin content to the extreme when it's rather apparent that it isn't one's true intent.

I think most people will remember Ennis' 'shot' as a spectacular moment, especially when you consider the opponent and how we constantly seem to struggle immensely against them. That being said, that was Ennis' high point of his time at SU, as shortly thereafter the season took a significant downturn to close out the regular season. We got bounced by an average NC State team in our first ACC tourney game and then a second round departure to Dayton, in which we were a solid favorite. If he came back for a second year, and lead us in the dance the following year, his legacy would be quite different in SU lore.

MCW really only played one season here (barely played as a frosh) but he took us to the Final Four with that incredible run. He will always be remember for that, and, that's why as fans, imo, he'll be held in a much higher regard. I'd be curious to see where Ennis would land, but I doubt it would be anywhere in the top 25 SU favs.

It's great that Ennis chased his dream and was drafted in the first round. No reasonable adult would ever hold that against him, and wish him ill-will. There's a huge difference between fans being disappointed because of how that may impact the program, versus personal ill-will, etc.

Possibly the most ridiculous sequence ever. We looked like a bunch of wannabe scrubs in their driveways doing some "3...2...1...at the buzzerrrrrrr!" attemps and coming nowhere close to hitting a shot.

I'm confident that you could take any 5 members of this board and put them on the court and the sequence would not look any worse.

I'm confident that you could take any 5 members of this board and put them on the court and the sequence would not look any worse.

if brncusefvrcuse were in the lineup, I think they'd have a good shot at winning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom