Class of 2015 - DE Brandon Ginnetti (CT) TO URI | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DE Brandon Ginnetti (CT) TO URI

People may not like it, and I understand it's borderline from an ethical standpoint, but that's the nature of the beast. And these coaches are starting to feel a little bit of a flame under their seats and need to do everything in their power to ensure they are bringing in kids who can help them - and preferably help them early on in their collegiate careers.

Last edited:
Thanks to those who clarified the injury timeline. I have no problem w/ SU moving on, but at least notify the kid. As we all know, the staffs at every D1 program leak enough info to the recruiting websites, so they could easily let it slip that the staff had "new priorities". What good does it do a HS coach to lie about not talking to a staff? Wouldn't that hurt themselves and their programs once word got out that they did something like that?

I have absolutely no problem with Shafer moving on from Ginnetti. I felt he and Lindor were 2 guys we jumped the gun on a bit last year. I feel bad for the kid, but i'd say almost every other P5 program would have done the same thing. But this also shows we aren't above everyone else when it comes to recruiting ethics. Again, I have no problem with it, but between Ginnetti, Lindor, and asking kids to move on when they still have eligibility, it shows we are willing to get in the mud just like everyone else. It's tough for the kids, but they know this is what happens with big time College Football. I like it cause it shows me that the staff is 100% invested in winning, even if it may come with some stink.

I really like that the staff accepts that they NEED to operate like this to maximize the talent level coming in. I think it is also an acknowledgement that, although recruiting is improving, we are still lagging behind the majority of the ACC and we HAVE TO act this way. It sucks for the kid, but it sucks for the school when a kid flips to maximize his opportunities.

I do hope that they are upfront with kids about any possible contingencies, including how "committable" their offers are. Kind of walking the razor's edge between dog-eat-dog world and the one big family approach. Very happy to see they are willing to eat the dog when they have too.

I really like that the staff accepts that they NEED to operate like this to maximize the talent level coming in. I think it is also an acknowledgement that, although recruiting is improving, we are still lagging behind the majority of the ACC and we HAVE TO act this way. It sucks for the kid, but it sucks for the school when a kid flips to maximize his opportunities.

I do hope that they are upfront with kids about any possible contingencies, including how "committable" their offers are. Kind of walking the razor's edge between dog-eat-dog world and the one big family approach. Very happy to see they are willing to eat the dog when they have too.
When your recruiting is improving fairly quickly, and I believe ours is, every spot is precious. When you look at who we are in on in the class of 2017, you want to make sure we have enough spots available for the caliber of players we are looking at.

Thanks to those who clarified the injury timeline. I have no problem w/ SU moving on, but at least notify the kid. As we all know, the staffs at every D1 program leak enough info to the recruiting websites, so they could easily let it slip that the staff had "new priorities". What good does it do a HS coach to lie about not talking to a staff? Wouldn't that hurt themselves and their programs once word got out that they did something like that?

The coaching staffs at the universities can't comment one way or the other or risk a NCAA violation. The publications printing these one sided stories know that. And I have to assume the HS coaches are going to err on the side of protecting their players, I know I would. So whether they are telling the whole truth or not, there is no one to refute it, so I doubt it hurts the HS coach's reputation one way or the other.

Do you really think a HS coach is going to publically say that "X" school revoked a scholarship offer because they felt that his player was medically unfit to play? Talk about poisoning the well.

The coaching staffs at the universities can't comment one way or the other or risk a NCAA violation. The publications printing these one sided stories know that. And I have to assume the HS coaches are going to err on the side of protecting their players, I know I would. So whether they are telling the whole truth or not, there is no one to refute it, so I doubt it hurts the HS coach's reputation one way or the other.

My point is that every D1 staff is leaking enough info to the recruiting sites that word would get out to refute things. It's clear that even people here know enough on the inside, so I think the staff (not just ours either) has ways of getting around the NCAA rules in situations like this.

Maybe his injury isn't yet healed and the coaches don't want a wasted scholly. Their recruitment of Des have been successful so they don't want him although I do agree they should be up front with the kid.
The post you quoted says he is medically cleared.

Shafer has consistently talked about doing things the right way. He and the staff are beginning to sound holier than thou. There are two sides to every story and obviously they can't talk about non signed recruits, but there seems to be a pattern here of non communication. Off the top of my head there is Ginnetti, Dawson, Lindor, Bubba Henderson, Levine, and maybe more. Then even Sloan said the staff ignored him before he left.

alphaorange said:
Interesting that so many are willing to criticize or condemn the staff's actions when, in fact, they have no idea whatsoever what the facts really are. Making judgements when you only hear one side of the story is a sure way to look like a fool later...

And yet, many others are doing the same exact thing about Ashton Broyld.

And yet, many others are doing the same exact thing about Ashton Broyld.
In fairness, I've heard what *supposedly* went down with Broyld. It's fair to put the blame on him, if accurate.

jekelish said:
In fairness, I've heard what *supposedly* went down with Broyld. It's fair to put the blame on him, if accurate.

And if the reasoning comes out, then I'm fine with passing whatever judgment is fair.

This isn't pop warner where everyone gets to play. There are only so many spots and so many kids. Really wish these coaches could defend themselves cause there is always two sides to every story.

Its been my understanding that he in fact signed his LOI Coaches think inserting ways sometimes who really knows why the staff has ignored him."Maybe" they aren't satisfied that his medical"clearance is enough to keep him on the field and effective. Who TF knows?The staff has a habit of suddenly dropping interest on kids they have recruited for various reasons. Maybe Ginnetti falls into one of those categories. Something is different,for sure

People may not like it, and I understand it's borderline from an ethical standpoint, but that's the nature of the beast. And these coaches are starting to feel a little bit of a flame under their seats and need to do everything in their power to ensure they are bringing in kids who can help them - and preferably help them early on in their collegiate careers.

Is it ethical for a kid to flip on signing day without informing coaches, just fax the letter somewhere else? I have no sympathy or expectations for either side, it is the game that both sides play and is a business. The kids know this as well as the coaches.

What about disrespecting a school during your decision presser. Coaches can't respond to any of this, it's probably a good thing for them as it forces them to seemingly take the high road whether they normally would or not. It also averts public mud slinging that will make both sides look bad.

Its been my understanding that he in fact signed his LOI Coaches think inserting ways sometimes who really knows why the staff has ignored him."Maybe" they aren't satisfied that his medical"clearance is enough to keep him on the field and effective. Who TF knows?The staff has a habit of suddenly dropping interest on kids they have recruited for various reasons. Maybe Ginnetti falls into one of those categories. Something is different,for sure

No Cali...he never signed an LOI.

No Cali...he never signed an LOI.
OK he never signed.and he got injured and recruiting has continued.An article in Syracuse paper features a healthy and decent defensive line without Ginnetti and the coaches are satisfied with this. Since he did not sign a LOI They figure He hadn't decided and they don't need him. The no contact was a weak ass way of handling this problem but thats how they decided to go. I say fine its over. The kid cango anywhere he chooses so its not really a big deal. No contracts were signed nor any obligations . End of story as far as I'm concerned.

OK he never signed.and he got injured and recruiting has continued.An article in Syracuse paper features a healthy and decent defensive line without Ginnetti and the coaches are satisfied with this. Since he did not sign a LOI They figure He hadn't decided and they don't need him. The no contact was a weak ass way of handling this problem but thats how they decided to go. I say fine its over. The kid cango anywhere he chooses so its not really a big deal. No contracts were signed nor any obligations . End of story as far as I'm concerned.

You or anyone else has no idea how much contact or lack thereof there was. The kids word is not gospel regardless of what he said. On top of that the coaches can't rebut what he said publicly.

I could easily picture a scenario where the kid called and said, "hey coach I am medically cleared"...coach replies, "...well medically cleared for what...walking or butting heads with 300 LB offensive linemen"? "Son...I think we are going to have to see you play in Prep or JUCO before we can take a commitment from you at this point".

What will the kid do or say after that conversation? "well, talked to the coaches and they think I can't play at this level because of the injury"? Do you really think that comment would ever make it to the recruiting services to report? Hell No.

They never called me sounds a lot better making the staff at fault and still leaving opportunity for himself at another school that may or may not care about the injury or history.

Is it ethical for a kid to flip on signing day without informing coaches, just fax the letter somewhere else? I have no sympathy or expectations for either side, it is the game that both sides play and is a business. The kids know this as well as the coaches.

What about disrespecting a school during your decision presser. Coaches can't respond to any of this, it's probably a good thing for them as it forces them to seemingly take the high road whether they normally would or not. It also averts public mud slinging that will make both sides look bad.
I see a big difference between the two. In one case, you have a 18 year old kid making the most important decision of his life up until that point. On the other hand, you have adult coaches. Schools don't get hurt feelings.

I see a big difference between the two. In one case, you have a 18 year old kid making the most important decision of his life up until that point. On the other hand, you have adult coaches. Schools don't get hurt feelings.

Your opinion is your opinion, coaches have a lot riding on the kids you are talking about. Coaches do lose their jobs and that effects their families and livelihoods based on wins and losses which is entirely dependent on what kids they bring in.

So yeah it is a 2 way street as I said. We also are not the only school that does it, every school does.

The cold shoulder staff. If you get it start packing/looking elsewhere. Would be nice if they the staff were upfront about it. Silence is a nasty thing with kids this age.

He tweeted tonight something about football no longer being a game but a business, and how there's a dark cloud over him. I'm speculating like everyone else but maybe he got some news from the staff that he didn't want to hear.