Dear american football... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dear american football...

Brotha, 3 weeks ago I would have been right there with ya... But man.. Even watching a match between 2 countries that I couldnt even point on a map, it's just crazy... absolutely crazy.

I think it's less the sport, which I find awful to watch, and more the fans and atmosphere, which I find amazing to watch.

I hate the sport soccer.

I love the fans, atmosphere and cultural aspects of the world cup though.

Do I care that the USA lost? Not even a little.

Uh, it HAS exploded compared to where it was 20 years ago. In 20 years, MLS has gone from not existing to outdrawing the NBA and attracting some pretty big foreign stars. How is that not exploding?

Hasn't exploded in the sense that I don't generally see it advertised or on tv other than the world cup. Never hear anyone talking about it. I don't think anyone I know could probably name more than 3 soccer players other than say David Beckham. I'm sure, at a minimum those same people could name Melo, LeBron and Durant. I haven't checked it, but assume you have regarding attendance. You compared the NBA '13-14 total attendance to that of the most recent MLS season? truth be told, I'm not even an NBA fan.

Last edited:
I think it's less the sport, which I find awful to watch, and more the fans and atmosphere, which I find amazing to watch.

I hate the sport soccer.

So get out, then.

Seriously, failing to even have national pride? I swear you're just trolling at this point.

So get out, then.

Seriously, failing to even have national pride? I swear you're just trolling at this point.

I'm sorry, I forgot the US ever took the world cup so seriously. My deepest apologies.

I don't believe soccer in this country will ever, ever overtake the popularity of football by any means. But I do imagine that over time it will rank near the popularity of basketball as both a spectator and player sport at the expense of baseball and to a lesser degree, hockey.

I hate the sport soccer.

So you tuned in today to what? Watch the crowd?

Come on.

I don't believe soccer in this country will ever, ever overtake the popularity of football by any means. But I do imagine that over time it will rank near the popularity of basketball as both a spectator and player sport at the expense of baseball and to a lesser degree, hockey.

So you tuned in today to what? Watch the crowd?

Come on.

I tuned in to support the USA, but didn't care that we lost. When your own team's coach declares that the club doesn't have a chance to win the title, it's hard to really care more than you already did.

I honestly hope that when I complained about soccer in the past, I never sounded as ignorant as you do.
I'm glad my post may have made you feel better about yourself.

Sorry, not singling you out, but it's nowhere near the 3rd most popular sport in the US. It's still more akin to golf and hockey than football, baseball and hoops.
I have watched nearly every World Cup game, mostly because I am retired. However if there was any other sport on, except for baseball, I would have been watching that.
I do not hate soccer, but it has some things about it I just do not care for as much as the soccer crazed do. Also it is the national team, which tends to boost interest more than otherwise would be the case.

Soccer is a complementary sport to hockey, basketball, and lacrosse. The objectives and strategies are somewhat similiar and many kids play two or three of those sports before eventually choosing where to specialize. In that regard, I don't think any of the options has an advantage over the others. Baseball is getting chipped away at from many directions, but still has a large (but aging) fanbase that continues to put more kids into it.

As a parent...baseball is horrible. So boring, takes up way too much time, has a 'hick' element to it. Soccer and hockey are way more fun just to be a part of with your kids.

Hold on a minute... the most popular thread on our football board is about soccer...

ZcfqBkqCSoeGmTSftrgo_Confused%20Joey%20Friends.gif

The pro-soccer bunch has been saying the same thing for years. Has it grown? Probably. Over the last 30 years so has NASCAR and lacrosse. Wasn't it supposed to explode after the last few World Cups as well? Hell, wasn't Pele' supposed to shoot soccer to the top of the charts? I will admit that the growing Latino population will help with soccer's interest. By that logic though, it should also help with baseball.

soccer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lacrosse in terms of popularity. you really can't compare them. Lacrosse is for east coast prep school rich kids. Soccer is world wide and has a much better demographic in terms of growth potential.

I love baseball, but what cracks me up is that teams take 3 hours to warm up. Meanwhile, soccer players run for 90+ minutes and don't start to warm up until, at most, 90 minutes before game time.

Just a pet peeve of an SID who covers both sports.

Not for nothing, but the sales of FIFA '14 (Video game) destroyed sales of Madden. Absolutely destroyed them. There's a huge interest in soccer. Great, welcome renaissance. Best way to gauge interest is to see what folks are spending their money on.

As a parent...baseball is horrible. So boring, takes up way too much time, has a 'hick' element to it. Soccer and hockey are way more fun just to be a part of with your kids.

Why can't you be a part of baseball with your kid by playing catch, pitching to them or hitting them grounders? I don't see the "hick" element. Much more fun than teaching your kid how to flop if someone brushes past you.

Not for nothing, but the sales of FIFA '14 (Video game) destroyed sales of Madden. Absolutely destroyed them. There's a huge interest in soccer. Great, welcome renaissance. Best way to gauge interest is to see what folks are spending their money on.

That is my next purchase. It will help me understand game play, rules, learn players, all that jazz. I have 2 hours a night in between me getting home from work, and the wife getting home from the gym. Its FIFA time.

Yep - I'm having this same conversation on Facebook with some old high school classmates and mentioned that on Mike and Mike this morning, Greenberg mentioned that his son and all of his son's friends play FIFA constantly and can tell you who everyone plays for as far as club teams go. I know some here make snide jokes about the PlayStation generation, but it's a MASSIVE influence on sports.

soccer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lacrosse in terms of popularity. you really can't compare them. Lacrosse is for east coast prep school rich kids. Soccer is world wide and has a much better demographic in terms of growth potential.

Wasn't comparing them in terms of popularity. I was comparing them in the sense that both have grown over the last 20 years. Those east coast prep kids are making their way out to the Midwest and beyond.

That is my next purchase. It will help me understand game play, rules, learn players, all that jazz. I have 2 hours a night in between me getting home from work, and the wife getting home from the gym. Its FIFA time.
FIFA games taught me soccer. They also happen to be my favorite sports video games outside of the MLB The Show series.