Dear american football... | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Dear american football...

SU is having a viewing party at Shine.

We played defense?

Our midfield was completely overrun and out defenders kept us in the game against some of the best attacking teams in the world. Matt Besler, Deandre Yedlin, and Fabian Johnson. There's a reason there are huge transfer rumors around those names after the Cup.

billsin01 said:
I like the post but I'm not sure I agree. A couple points that I think make this a different discussion: 1) we're discussing, at least in large part in this thread, MLS displacing MLB, nBA and NHL. The original poster even suggested the nfl should be on alert. Even if you throw the nfl out, we're not simply discussing a viable, popular, profitable league -- we're discussing the second most popular sport in the US. That would have to be a pretty high quality league. 2) college sports are obviously not as 'good', I agree. But hoops and football are made up almost exclusively of American 'kids' and have their own histories. Most people are fans b/c they feel a part of a university either by proximity or b/c they went to school there. And the universities themselves are uniquely American. To me those make college sports a different discussion.

Understood on #1, and I've said repeatedly in this thread that the notion of MLS ascending to big 5 status in the US anytime soon(ish) is not supported by any data.

And on #2, yes, college sports have a litany of unique factors that boost it's popularity. Many of which are factors not at play for soccer. Just making the point that's it's not ALL about a league being at the pinnacle of its competitive set. I'd argue that given MLS is not yet a premiere league makes it's performance all the more impressive. The quality of play should only improve over time.

Our midfield was completely overrun and out defenders kept us in the game against some of the best attacking teams in the world. Matt Besler, Deandre Yedlin, and Fabian Johnson. There's a reason there are huge transfer rumors around those names after the Cup.

Fair enough. The untrained eye saw one team working it's a$$ off to hang on by a thread and another beautifully and effortlessly creating chance after chance.

Understood on #1, and I've said repeatedly in this thread that the notion of MLS ascending to big 5 status in the US anytime soon(ish) is not supported by any data.

And on #2, yes, college sports have a litany of unique factors that boost it's popularity. Many of which are factors not at play for soccer. Just making the point that's it's not ALL about a league being at the pinnacle of its competitive set. I'd argue that given MLS is not yet a premiere league makes it's performance all the more impressive. The quality of play should only improve over time.

I agree on quality of play improving. I think the fact that soccer is a world game as opposed to a us game is intriguing. It's great for the overall health of the game. I'd argue it is a bit limiting in terms of its potential for full adoption in the American sports scene. Not impossible but a size able hurdle. I mean even high school sports and even youth sports work fans/parents into a lather here. Not having that innate connection is tough.

The World Cup is much more popular than in 2010 in the USA. No question about it. However it is the influx in the population of Hispanics that is driving the ratings up. Not the White Males, not the White Females, not the Black males and not the Black females. Univision is kicking the crap out of ESPN head to head.

I know you provided your links, and I'm sure there's some truth in it, but the fact of the matter is that World Cup ratings are about 50% higher than in 2010 and there's simply no way that the Hispanic population in the US is 50% more than it was four years ago. Sorry, but you're making a gross over-simplification here.

I know you provided your links, and I'm sure there's some truth in it, but the fact of the matter is that World Cup ratings are about 50% higher than in 2010 and there's simply no way that the Hispanic population in the US is 50% more than it was four years ago. Sorry, but you're making a gross over-simplification here.
That's cute Matt how you try to twist it but I think the media and others are trying to make a big deal out of nothing. You can't argue that Hispanics aren't driving the increase because the facts show they are. Bottom line is that in a week soccer will be nothing more than a blip on the radar for white and black america. If you want to argue that show me facts to back it up.

fantasy football is like family guy. i hate it and people try way hard to convince me that i really would like it if i gave it a chance.

i like watching teams that exist. i don't understand watching teams that exist to derive some weird score for a team that doesn't exist

I can't stand it either.

Hey, the Tour De France has begun and cycling is getting huge. Let's all get our yellow jerseys on!

fantasy football is like family guy. i hate it and people try way hard to convince me that i really would like it if i gave it a chance.

i like watching teams that exist. i don't understand watching teams that exist to derive some weird score for a team that doesn't exist

This is a great post. I always do one fantasy football league. I do the online draft for the sole purpose of making fun of every single pick for one guy who lives and dies with fantasy football. Then I set my lineup for week 1 and have completely forgotten I have a team by week 8. I don't know why but it just doesn't hold my attention.

But, I guess it's only air to point out, between having three young kids taking up my Sundays, the bills sucking and living in an area where everyone either wears purple on Fridays or stands around sockless in loafers debating RGIII's (nickname I hate b/c I hear it so much) knee -- the nfl mostly just annoys me in general.

Hey, the Tour De France has begun and cycling is getting huge. Let's all get our yellow jerseys on!

Exactly, fans of sports that aren't as popular as the big 3 ( I don't include hockey) in the US sometimes have a tough time understanding why their sport isn't loved by ALL!! I put hockey on that fringe as well and I actually like hockey. ( Islanders)

I am the same way with cycling and horse racing. To be honest, I am bigger fan of horse racing than Syracuse sports but certainly understand it doesn't appeal to most people and hey that is fine. Cycling because having raced a bit myself the suffering those athletes go through day in day out in a stage race is ridiculous, PEDS or no PEDS.

Horse racing hands down best betting dollar for your money as well.

cliftonparksufan said:
That's cute Matt how you try to twist it but I think the media and others are trying to make a big deal out of nothing. You can't argue that Hispanics aren't driving the increase because the facts show they are. Bottom line is that in a week soccer will be nothing more than a blip on the radar for white and black america. If you want to argue that show me facts to back it up.

First, that's not true. Ratings among non-Hispanic whites are up substantially. I'm on a phone and can't dig up links at the moment, but it's easily found.

Second, so what if it is almost entirely driven by Hispanics? I'm not going to wade into a political debate here, but the vast majority of Hispanics are US born citizens. And everyone knows that demographically this is the fastest growing segment of the population. Do they somehow not count? Such a strange argument.

Interesting post. I can honestly say I never would have guessed it was that close particularly based (albeit with an untrained eye) on watching Germany and Belgium destroy us. It'll be interesting to see what happens. And no I certainly didn't intend AA as a compliment -- I literally just felt it was a fair representation in terms of being a talented league with talented players and teams but nowhere near the level of the mlb teams.
You have to realize that Germany had 6 players who play for Bayern Munich, arguably the best club in the world, who, I'd imagine, play together ~10 months out of the year. That cohesion is so incredibly important on the international stage. That's why you see guys like Messi and Ronaldo suffering a bit during the World Cup.

Preface: The only time I've ever watched soccer was the USMNT.

I think that one of the biggest factors regarding soccers growth now and in the future that hasn't been mentioned much in this thread is media accessibility. If you look back even 10 years ago, I imagine it would have been very difficult to watch international soccer. If you go back farther in time to the 70's or 80's, it would have been near impossible. Even if your kids are playing soccer, if you can't watch it professionally, it is hard to build a lasting fan base. People often (rightfully) credit the rise of the Big East to the TV deals/coverage it got. Soccer never had anything even close to that. Nowadays with advanced internet and even some mainstream coverage, the average sports fan can actually watch quality soccer. In years past, after the excitement of the world cup wore off, if people were still interested in soccer, they had few options to turn to. It is easy to stir up interest when you are running games on espn/abc. Now though when they get interested, they actually can follow up, and watch more games.

We do have this conversation every four years, but I think that the growth of sports media and technology seperates the discussion from the last few times. The first way to get people interested is to get it on TV, and that is finally happening.

Having said all that, I think that soccer is still 1-2 generations away from truly catching on. I would say, anecdotally, that the average sports fan in my age group (23) is casually interested in not just the USMNT, but soccer abroad. We have both the access and interest to build a following. Once my generation starts growing older and having families who are also interested in soccer beyond just youth soccer, then we might start to build a culture that supports soccer just as much as the NBA/MLB.

As a side note, I would rather watch soccer over baseball any day of the week, and twice on fridays.

The timezone thing greatly plays in the favor of 2014 v 2010 and South Africa.

The timezone thing greatly plays in the favor of 2014 v 2010 and South Africa.
time zone is huge.

all the big ones have been basically been played on the east coast during Happy Hour.

as opposed to 06 when they were all on in the morning or in 02, when the only time we could watch as a collective is we allowed ourselves to be locked in bars and couldnt leave till 8am.

not a bad thing, but not something i could pull off every night.

Fine, once again ill be that guy...

Get out your arrows you liberal PC freaks...

All that # means about Univision is too many people in the United States of America don't speak or understand the Fn language that the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution or the the Bill of Rights was written in.

Score one for the owners and Capitalism, but damn...

I think you're reading a bit too much into the univision thing. While many watching Univision may in fact be Spanish it is also the only live telecast that one can access online without needing cable provider login info AKA I'm not Spanish but I've watched some of the cup on Univision and don't imagine I'm alone in that.

I think you're reading a bit too much into the univision thing. While many watching Univision may in fact be Spanish it is also the only live telecast that one can access online without needing cable provider login info AKA I'm not Spanish but I've watched some of the cup on Univision and don't imagine I'm alone in that.
im sure theres tons of other reasons too. maybe they have the pat summerall and john madden of futbol calling it.

in NYC, you can watch univision with an antenna.

maybe scooch could answer why, but it seems that people like to watch sports off an antenna as opposed to cable.

im just making up #s here, but why do i think that if bama-lsu is on espn it will do a 4, but if its on abc it will do an 8?? plus, cable ratings always come with caveat...'highest on cable' or whatever.

is there that many people in america without cable??

in the big citys i guess i get it, you can get like 15 channels in NYC that way.

out of my league...

cliftonparksufan said:

I'd bet that ratings for all demographics will go up for MLS somewhat. Followed by another jump in 4 years.

Mistakebythelake90 said:
Preface: The only time I've ever watched soccer was the USMNT. I think that one of the biggest factors regarding soccers growth now and in the future that hasn't been mentioned much in this thread is media accessibility. If you look back even 10 years ago, I imagine it would have been very difficult to watch international soccer. If you go back farther in time to the 70's or 80's, it would have been near impossible. Even if your kids are playing soccer, if you can't watch it professionally, it is hard to build a lasting fan base. People often (rightfully) credit the rise of the Big East to the TV deals/coverage it got. Soccer never had anything even close to that. Nowadays with advanced internet and even some mainstream coverage, the average sports fan can actually watch quality soccer. In years past, after the excitement of the world cup wore off, if people were still interested in soccer, they had few options to turn to. It is easy to stir up interest when you are running games on espn/abc. Now though when they get interested, they actually can follow up, and watch more games. We do have this conversation every four years, but I think that the growth of sports media and technology seperates the discussion from the last few times. The first way to get people interested is to get it on TV, and that is finally happening. Having said all that, I think that soccer is still 1-2 generations away from truly catching on. I would say, anecdotally, that the average sports fan in my age group (23) is casually interested in not just the USMNT, but soccer abroad. We have both the access and interest to build a following. Once my generation starts growing older and having families who are also interested in soccer beyond just youth soccer, then we might start to build a culture that supports soccer just as much as the NBA/MLB. As a side note, I would rather watch soccer over baseball any day of the week, and twice on fridays.

I think, like all sports - HD content helps a ton too. It's not grainy images of guys kicking a blur around.

Consider this...

Many kids play start playing soccer when they're very young.

When they get older, the most talented go play baseball, football, basketball, or hockey.

So does that mean the highest level of talent for soccer in the U.S. is 5 year-olds?

im sure theres tons of other reasons too. maybe they have the pat summerall and john madden of futbol calling it.

in NYC, you can watch univision with an antenna.

maybe scooch could answer why, but it seems that people like to watch sports off an antenna as opposed to cable.

im just making up #s here, but why do i think that if bama-lsu is on espn it will do a 4, but if its on abc it will do an 8?? plus, cable ratings always come with caveat...'highest on cable' or whatever.

is there that many people in america without cable??

in the big citys i guess i get it, you can get like 15 channels in NYC that way.

out of my league...

There's probably more of us than you think that don't have cable. If money gets a bit tight it's an easy thing to do without (or call your cable company to cancel if you simply want your bill reduced). The only thing I miss are live sporting events but not enough to pay for cable and it's not as if ESPN, etc shows them 1/2 the time anyway. I just figure out work arounds whenever I can and live without it when I can't. Depending on your area you'd be amazed what you can get on a $20 antenna much less one of the BA roof mounted ones. Think we get at least a dozen channels and I'm pretty far from any metro area.

I feel like the soccer haters in this thread are ignoring so many facts that have been laid out in great detail in this thread. the haters simply re-state the orthodoxy that is no longer relevant and just assume that it must continue to be true. Tastes evolve in this country very quickly. Old white people like and play baseball, younger brown people like and play soccer. The future plays out for itself given that

I feel like the soccer haters in this thread are ignoring so many facts that have been laid out in great detail in this thread. the haters simply re-state the orthodoxy that is no longer relevant.

And vice versa.:)