Debate at PSU to name the field after Joe Paterno | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Debate at PSU to name the field after Joe Paterno

There's a decent amount of theater here, but with the story breaking yesterday this had to get discussed at the board meeting today. This looks a lot like Lubrano and Paterno coordinated to introduce a resolution, but have it pulled before any real debate could occur.

This may have been, in part, a response to the Philadelphia Inquirer - which wrote this morning this is a terrible idea but the trustees who proposed it should at least have the courage to do so in public. I guess they did - just in the least legitimate way possible.

But I think my suspicion Jay Paterno was heavily involved appears to be correct...although I'm not going to pat myself on the back because it didn't exactly take a rocket scientist to figure that out. As long as he is a trustee, he and his cronies are going to continue to push their agenda to try to rehabilitate Joe Paterno's legacy (against the wishes of the broader Penn State community).

Hopefully Jim shorts Jordan jumps on this and criticizes the woke media for trying to limit government/institution's ability to honor great American people…… umm, men, I mean. Like Confederate generals, pedophiles, and those like himself who were aware of abuse and said nothing.

Those people out there want to honor this guy no matter what it seems like. They can't let it go and let that story die and turn the page. I don't know how you can name the field after him.

What's next, the Mark Schwartz award for Investigative Journalism?

Hopefully Jim shorts Jordan jumps on this and criticizes the woke media for trying to limit government/institution's ability to honor great American people…… umm, men, I mean. Like Confederate generals, pedophiles, and those like himself who were aware of abuse and said nothing.
Take it to the other board

Take it to the other board

Weird comment. This is a thread about pedophiles and people in position of power who failed to stop abuse of kids and young adults. My comment is right in line with the thread, college related, etc. Are you triggered because you believe some people who covered up or didn’t report abuse are better than others. I’m confused.

Weird comment. This is a thread about pedophiles and people in position of power who failed to stop abuse of kids and young adults. My comment is right in line with the thread, college related, etc. Are you triggered because you believe some people who covered up or didn’t report abuse are better than others. I’m confused.

Was Jordan at PSU or ever convicted? Let me answer that ... no. So it has no bearing other than it being a political rant I think is the point.

Sandusky was, Hodne was yet for all the hate I'm still waiting on Jordan's conviction, apples to oranges and the constant desire to proliferate politics into football is ruining the game.

Was Jordan at PSU or ever convicted? Let me answer that ... no. So it has no bearing other than it being a political rant I think is the point.

Sandusky was, Hodne was yet for all the hate I'm still waiting on Jordan's conviction, apples to oranges and the constant desire to proliferate politics into football is ruining the game.
JoePa wasn’t convicted on anything either, so I assume you don’t have an issue with them naming the field with him, correct?

JoePa wasn’t convicted on anything either, so I assume you don’t have an issue with them naming the field with him, correct?

Exactly. I’m willing to believe multiple college wrestlers, who’d be more likely not to say anything at all but did. Over Jordan. The evidence was pretty substantial. But yeah, he was just as innocent as JoePa.

I could care less … they have documentation around the cover up but they can do what ever they wish. However Sandusky and Hodne were so there is that. But hey if you read what was written in an article late last year even the wrestlers interviewed around the topic didn’t speak in absolutes …

“Ratliff continued, "Jordan should come forward and tell the truth about what happened. At least meet with the guys. He's failed to do that -- to hear our side, he's failed. You know, even if you believe what Jim Jordan says, he has never once reached out to any wrestler to say, 'Hey, I missed it. I'm sorry. How are you feeling?'"

So now he should have taken a meeting with them even though he knew? Show an email trail like PSU and then I’ll entertain it but for now it’s all conjecture and political theatre … but since we went there if this is the case read the diary and tell me ole Joe isn’t a pedo. Can’t have it both ways.

I will say this Ratliff was right even if he didn’t know he should have reached out, that much is on Jordan.

I think the fact a thread about Penn State potentially naming the field after Paterno has devolved into a debate over Jim Jordan (and has a reference to Confederate generals for some bizarre reason) is pretty good evidence it’s time to lock this and move on.

It’s only going to get stupider and more pointless from this point on…

Why do we care so much what Penn St does with their field. Paterno was never arrested. They can do what they want. I prefer to focus on Syracuse and hope we remain above the fray.

Because he died

Which law - specifically - did Joe Paterno break which, in your estimation, he likely would have been charged with criminally breaking had he not died?

They are not going to name the field after him.

Which law - specifically - did Joe Paterno break which, in your estimation, he likely would have been charged with criminally breaking had he not died?
Not a lawyer by any standard, and I don’t have access to any collected evidence, but possibly obstruction of justice? Failure to report as a Title IX mandatory reporter?

Not a lawyer by any standard, and I don’t have access to any collected evidence, but possibly obstruction of justice? Failure to report as a Title IX mandatory reporter?

Nope. The first issue is Paterno did report the incident he was aware of to Curley (AD) and Schultz (VP). So the question is, was that legally adequate?

The answer to that is - yes, his actions were legally adequate. The PA code at the time read as follows:

42.42. Suspected child abuse—mandated reporting requirements​

Licensees who are staff members of a medical or other public or private institution, school, facility or agency, and who, in the course of their employment, occupation or practice of their profession, come into contact with children shall immediately notify the person in charge of the institution, school facility or agency or the designated agent of the person in charge when they have reasonable cause to suspect on the basis of their professional or other training or experience, that a child coming before them in their professional or official capacity is a victim of child abuse. Upon notification by the licensee, the person in charge or the designated agent shall assume the responsibility and have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made.

By reporting to the persons in charge, Paterno met the legal requirement. Paterno was not charged because he committed no chargeable offense, he would not have been charged if he lived because he had committed no chargeable offense.

Last edited:
Because he died

Another thought - It annoys me how much effort Jay Paterno keeps putting into rehabilitating the legacy of his father (and his speech to the board on Friday qualifies as part of that effort). But part of me wonders if a significant part of his motivation is an effort to undo the additional damage done by people spreading misinformation and factually incorrect beliefs about what happened. Claiming Joe Paterno was a criminal would qualify.

Not happy with Penn State’s (or the board, or Jay Paterno’s) actions? Maybe they’re acting that way in part to undo the additional damage done by people like you, spreading misinformation and factually unsupportable opinions. Maybe you’re part of the problem now.

Nope. The first issue is Paterno did report the incident he was aware of to Curley (AD) and Schultz (VP). So the question is, was that legally adequate?

The answer to that is - yes, his actions were legally adequate. The PA code at the time read as follows:

42.42. Suspected child abuse—mandated reporting requirements​

Licensees who are staff members of a medical or other public or private institution, school, facility or agency, and who, in the course of their employment, occupation or practice of their profession, come into contact with children shall immediately notify the person in charge of the institution, school facility or agency or the designated agent of the person in charge when they have reasonable cause to suspect on the basis of their professional or other training or experience, that a child coming before them in their professional or official capacity is a victim of child abuse. Upon notification by the licensee, the person in charge or the designated agent shall assume the responsibility and have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made.

By reporting to the persons in charge, Paterno met the legal requirement. Paterno was not charged because he committed no chargeable offense, he would not have been charged if he lived because he had committed no chargeable offense.
You are absolutely correct, finally a voice of reason. And, he immediately fired Sandusky, something I am sure was well within his right to do, right?

You are absolutely correct, finally a voice of reason. And, he immediately fired Sandusky, something I am sure was well within his right to do, right?
Ok then why was the fact that Paterno was witness tampering in the Hodne case always forgotten about? Multiple females were “talked to” by Paterno … the fact is it’s still a cesspool and Paterno shouldn’t be glorified but when it comes to PA nothing surprises me.

Ok then why was the fact that Paterno was witness tampering in the Hodne case always forgotten about? Multiple females were “talked to” by Paterno … the fact is it’s still a cesspool and Paterno shouldn’t be glorified but when it comes to PA nothing surprises me.
Everybody tampers with witnesses these days, it's no big deal.

Everybody tampers with witnesses these days, it's no big deal.

Ahh yes, the old “everyone does it so it’s no big deal” defense. Lots of people have been victims as a result of this beautiful defense.