Defense vs. WR screen? | Syracusefan.com

Defense vs. WR screen?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
Clearly an outstanding effort by the defense all told, but we got beat on the WR screen for two long gains that appeared to be very similar.

Is this just a symptom of the highly aggressive defense we were playing? Or is there something more to it?

Blitz and throw where they blitz from...plus an extra blocker and it's a great way to help slow down the blitz. I can't figure out why we don't do it more and correctly with the extra blockers.

We've defended the wr screen fairly well all year. The mizzou screens were different. I would almost consider them throwbacks. They had pulling linemen.

We've defended the wr screen fairly well all year. The mizzou screens were different. I would almost consider them throwbacks. They had pulling linemen.

Wasn't a guy in motion that way for the TD?

Louisville had a long TD early that I thought was a WR screen. I may be mistaken about that. I like that the DBs are aggressive and go after the WR, but without safety help at least one of them needs to avoid blockers and make the play.

On another note I'd like to see some of they guys use the out of bounds line to their advantage. If the ball carrier is running along the sideline you can push him out of bounds rather than tackle him and allow his momentum to work in his favor and pick up 5 or more extra yards in the process. I've seen this a few times over the course of the season, but to be clear not on the WR screen plays as I recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom