Defense | Syracusefan.com

Defense

HRE Otto IV

All American
Coleman had a pretty good game. Nice to see some growth there.

Slayton was causing a lot of problems. I wonder if him moving inside to DT was why our DL was better or if it was playing a lessor opponent. Then again our DTs were quiet against Colgate as well. So maybe it was having him at DT.

The LBs showed up in a big way. Franklin was awesome in the 2nd half. Nice to see Bennett making plays too.

Hudson had a nice game. If he comes down with that INT, it would have been a really good game. Thought he played the screens well today. He still needs to be more physical but it was a step in the right direction.

I love Ellison. He might Wally Pipp Cordy.

Williams has been quietly solid. He hasn't made a lot of plays but he also hasn't messed up at all from what I can tell. I think Whitner has more potential but he also was making a lot of mistakes out there. Then again most of those were vs Louisville so it is hard to compare.

The defense is attempting to play a lot like my Bears with Urlacher, Briggs, and Tillman. Or that's how I want to view it anyway. But I thought the defense played a pretty good game, you can see what the future could hold once players improve and more talent comes in.

We saw blitzes today, you can see over the last 4 games the effort to disrupt passes, attempts to strip the ball and cause TO's, getting hands in the air when the ball is thrown. All game changing things that a defense paired with this type of offense can really be successful. We saw the impact today though, that INT was huge.

I'd like to see our defense line be more stout against the run. I think that will come with time.

They put up a bunch of yards throwing underneath the zone. I think a lot of that nickel and dime stuff is to be expected, especially in an offense so bereft of play makers. In a similar vein, UCONN didn't beat us over the top (nor did they try).

Our defense did enough. Franklin especially came up huge. The linebackers are the strength of the D, but there's only 3 of them and 8 of everyone else, so there's only so much they can do.

I'd like to see our defense line be more stout against the run. I think that will come with time.

They put up a bunch of yards throwing underneath the zone. I think a lot of that nickel and dime stuff is to be expected, especially in an offense so bereft of play makers. In a similar vein, UCONN didn't beat us over the top (nor did they try).

Our defense did enough. Franklin especially came up huge. The linebackers are the strength of the D, but there's only 3 of them and 8 of everyone else, so there's only so much they can do.
You have to remember,if the LB are getting a ton of tackles(Franklin and Bennett- both with 14)that means the line,particularly the DTs, are doing a good job. The line was very good against the run yesterday. Also, another guy who I love for the future... Andrew Armstrong. In limited action he covered that field sideline to sideline.

I think they are okay living with dink and dunks if it means the opposing team gets slowed. But that really only works if the offense is really clicking (which is coming, but not there yet).

I think they are okay living with dink and dunks if it means the opposing team gets slowed. But that really only works if the offense is really clicking (which is coming, but not there yet).

Exactly, not to bring up the Bears again but when their defense was really a force you could dink and dunk the ball all the way down the field. That is acceptable in this type of defensive system. The belief is that you won't be able to sustain long drives all game long, so if you score once or twice like that that's fine but you probably won't be able to do it all game long. Especially in college I would believe this to be even more true than in the NFL.

Then the second part of that is, when their are more playmakers in the system, if the opposing offense has to run more plays in order to score it gives the defense more opportunities to create TO's. I think that's what we started to see more yesterday, more hands disrupting balls, attempts at creating TO's, you can see more guys attempting to punch the ball out of the offensive players hands.

The stretch with slayton Clark at tackle and Coleman black at end was pretty good. Guidice and McKinley did a good job to.

For as good as Franklin Bennett are they make a lot of mistakes. Can't get off blocks or read the wrong holes. Most of the rushing breakdown are on these two making mistakes.

Thought Jon Thomas had a very solid game.

Slayton was causing a lot of problems. I wonder if him moving inside to DT was why our DL was better or if it was playing a lessor opponent. Then again our DTs were quiet against Colgate as well. So maybe it was having him at DT.

The LBs showed up in a big way. Franklin was awesome in the 2nd half. Nice to see Bennett making plays too.

Hudson had a nice game. If he comes down with that INT, it would have been a really good game. Thought he played the screens well today. He still needs to be more physical but it was a step in the right direction.

Williams has been quietly solid. He hasn't made a lot of plays but he also hasn't messed up at all from what I can tell. I think Whitner has more potential but he also was making a lot of mistakes out there. Then again most of those were vs Louisville so it is hard to compare.

How much did true frosh Josh Black play yesterday.

I did see true frosh Andrew Armstrong get a few snaps but did not see how Josh played.

The stretch with slayton Clark at tackle and Coleman black at end was pretty good. Guidice and McKinley did a good job to.

For as good as Franklin Bennett are they make a lot of mistakes. Can't get off blocks or read the wrong holes. Most of the rushing breakdown are on these two making mistakes.

Thought Jon Thomas had a very solid game.
McKinley gets great leverage and uses his hands really well. He just doesn't have enough bulk yet.

How much did true frosh Josh Black play yesterday.

I did see true frosh Andrew Armstrong get a few snaps but did not see how Josh played.

Black played quite a bit and I thought he did OK. He like McKiney, is too small right now and I believe he was matched up with a senior tackle forUConn most of the game.

Also saw Wilson in there for a couple of series including the last one where we stuffed them at the 1.

Armstrong is going to be a good one. Kid has a motor.

Black played quite a bit and I thought he did OK. He like McKiney, is too small right now and I believe he was matched up with a senior tackle forUConn most of the game.

Also saw Wilson in there for a couple of series including the last one where we stuffed them at the 1.

Armstrong is going to be a good one. Kid has a motor.

The UConn OL was massive.

Nearly every one of them was more than 6'7" and weighed more than 320.

I didn't think Whitner played yesterday.

Did I miss him?

Exactly, not to bring up the Bears again but when their defense was really a force you could dink and dunk the ball all the way down the field. That is acceptable in this type of defensive system. The belief is that you won't be able to sustain long drives all game long, so if you score once or twice like that that's fine but you probably won't be able to do it all game long. Especially in college I would believe this to be even more true than in the NFL.

Then the second part of that is, when their are more playmakers in the system, if the opposing offense has to run more plays in order to score it gives the defense more opportunities to create TO's. I think that's what we started to see more yesterday, more hands disrupting balls, attempts at creating TO's, you can see more guys attempting to punch the ball out of the offensive players hands.

Exactly. When our O is really humming those dinks and dunks will be super frustrating for opposing offenses. QB's will be forcing throws.

BG was #8 in INT last year.

I didn't think Whitner played yesterday.

Did I miss him?

He didn't play. I meant that Williams has looked better in his 2 games than Whitner did in the first 2 games.

Exactly. When our O is really humming those dinks and dunks will be super frustrating for opposing offenses. QB's will be forcing throws.

BG was #8 in INT last year.

Yeah, in a weird way, the more I think about it the D does kind of compliment the offense. The offense plays fast and tries to run as many plays as possible which increases the chances of "catching" the D and increasing scoring opportunities. Our D is doing a similar thing just with a different approach but the goal is to create as many TO's as possible, force the O to do things out of their comfort zone and also make mistakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom