Denver Top Chef | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Denver Top Chef

toast again carrie ? and she wins ? if you're gonna serve toast as your own feature dish at least bake your own friggin bread !
"well this is french onion soup topping " right. how about making us soup then ? still easy. but that i'd at least get.
The producers always have a vote. Often, I suspect, the deciding vote.

Over the years, I've eaten in several cheftestant's restaurants, and I'm almost always underwhelmed. Except for top chef masters.

toast again carrie ? and she wins ? if you're gonna serve toast as your own feature dish at least bake your own friggin bread !
"well this is french onion soup topping " right. how about making us soup then ? still easy. but that i'd at least get.
Just caught up. C'mon, she had her main ingredient, her protein, robbed by a guy who already lost, which I don't like. Man hated to see Chris go. Never gets old seeing Telluride. That gondola is worth the trip alone.

Just caught up. C'mon, she had her main ingredient, her protein, robbed by a guy who already lost, which I don't like. Man hated to see Chris go. Never gets old seeing Telluride. That gondola is worth the trip alone.

My goodness, Telluride looks amazing.

I really liked Chris as well.

Interesting editing in that last episode. Carrie shouldn't have said she was going to make the wellington, but they really overplayed that aspect. Judge the food on the plate. The other thing is that had Carrie told the story about how she came up with the idea, and called the plate she put down "Colorado Carrie" then she might have won.

All that being said, the dish I want most from this whole season is Chris' fried chicken.

My goodness, Telluride looks amazing.

I really liked Chris as well.
Yeah you got a little glimpse of why it's a lot of people's favorite out here. I was told, that's where the billionaires moved to when they got tired of the millionaires in Aspen.

Interesting editing in that last episode. Carrie shouldn't have said she was going to make the wellington, but they really overplayed that aspect. Judge the food on the plate. The other thing is that had Carrie told the story about how she came up with the idea, and called the plate she put down "Colorado Carrie" then she might have won.

All that being said, the dish I want most from this whole season is Chris' fried chicken.
Yeah she shouldn't have mentioned the Wellington, it's not like anyone else made one for him either. I totally agree, out of everyone all season, the one person's place I'd like to visit the most is Chris'. Even though I dabbled in fine dining for a few years, I personally like simple comfort food.

she opts out of the wellington cuz it's too challenging and then gloms onto the cornbread idea when she overhears the judge tell another cheftestant it's a good idea. well played chef panera.
i've never cooked at high altitude (have cooked high) but the chefs all seemed to adapt really well.
(hey it's not just me. you did see the eye rolls and under breath comments from the other chefs ?)

Last edited:
final 4 brings back the voltaggio bros and prairie oysters. (and padma's testicle jokes)
family reunion recipe episode and since some of you guys don't watch thursdays i'll leave out the spoilers. to be discussed later.

i caught a brief glimpse of myself when they showed the diners entering next week's challenge

the only other time i know for sure there was a camera on me was when i was at a table with tim love & several other diners, discussing some of the dishes.

a couple toast jokes to start the episode. a sausage and 2 meatballs would have been clever.
the voltaggios crack me up. both talented but total opposites personality wise. padma. hot.

a couple toast jokes to start the episode. a sausage and 2 meatballs would have been clever.
the voltaggios crack me up. both talented but total opposites personality wise. padma. hot.
the brothers cooked a special dinner at the restaurant on top of aspen snowmass (not quite as high as the telluride restaurant) and i have to say it was unremarkable. i've also eaten at ink (mv's place); it was good but i'm in no rush to go back; personally wouldn't place it in the top 10 of LA area restaurants. i know that colichio says he's the most talented of all top chefs, but in my experience that's not as high a bar as i once anticipated.

voltaggio brothers season initially turned me on to sous vide cooking. foolproof and delicious when seared properly. hate to see anybody go home on the family episode but frankly beef stroganoff offered endless variations to riff on. as opposed to say rigatoni and meatballs or lasagna. good run for carrie and i bet we see her back again. hopefully she'll take more chances next time around. this show will give her a big boost.

Last edited:
maxresdefault.0.jpg

all set for the final chicago kids showdown .

the most interesting thing about the final three challenge is that there were actually 7 booths set up, with all the chefs participating. they did this so that we couldn't tell who the final three were & to reduce the chance of spoilers getting out.

chef flamm's zucchini dish was hands down the best of the field. second best was from fatima & her partner (i forget who it was), third was the woman from alaska (again, forget her partner). Adrienne's was good but didn't stand out like those three. joe sasto's was not good, the only bad dish of the field. i would put that all on me & my dislike of beets, but the curious thing is that, though they were told to cook for 200, they all cooked a lot more than that. i went back for joe flamm's zucchini 4 times. everyone made mulitple trips to the chefs, but the booth with the only short line all afternoon was mustachio joe

the most interesting thing about the final three challenge is that there were actually 7 booths set up, with all the chefs participating. they did this so that we couldn't tell who the final three were & to reduce the chance of spoilers getting out.

chef flamm's zucchini dish was hands down the best of the field. second best was from fatima & her partner (i forget who it was), third was the woman from alaska (again, forget her partner). Adrienne's was good but didn't stand out like those three. joe sasto's was not good, the only bad dish of the field. i would put that all on me & my dislike of beets, but the curious thing is that, though they were told to cook for 200, they all cooked a lot more than that. i went back for joe flamm's zucchini 4 times. everyone made mulitple trips to the chefs, but the booth with the only short line all afternoon was mustachio joe
Interesting. It's cool having a first hand take of all the dishes in that one. Not a fan of vegetarian dishes, and definitely not beets or zucchini. Chi town showdown it is.

We tried to get into Carrie's restaurant Bar Dough Friday, there wasn't a reservation until Sunday (tonight), so the publicity is doing great for them. We went to Troy Guard's new place by our neighborhood instead, that just opened, called FnG. There was some very good things, fried baloney sliders and a supreme gnocchi and little neck clam chowder. Then two things that weren't so great, the bolognese, my best sauce, so I always try and judge to get a feel off of that, and the fried chicken sandwich.

The funny thing is for happy hour, they had a drink special that was a can of Utica Club that comes in a paper bag, and a shot of Old Forester. Utica Club is becoming a hipster reinvention, like PBR now, weird. They did have an Ommengang beer, so someone's looking out for upstate NY in there.

i love a good fried baloney . . . how do they make their baloney?

i love a good fried baloney . . . how do they make their baloney?
I'm not sure exactly, but we couldn't believe how good that was. I'm going to ask next time, how it's made or what it is. I was thinking it was going to be like a thin sliced Taylor ham type, but nope.

I'm not sure exactly, but we couldn't believe how good that was. I'm going to ask next time, how it's made or what it is. I was thinking it was going to be like a thin sliced Taylor ham type, but nope.
i had one of the best i've ever eaten in st louis this past summer: 70/30 mix of brisket & pulled pork. mixed with diced jalapeno & cheddar chunks then put back in the smoker for 4 hours, then fried up on demand.

Finally caught up tonight after being away for a bit, and was glad to see Flam win but sad to see Carrie go. And I'm especially pleased they are showcasing Padma's bosom this year. My Lord. The wife has been commenting more than I have!

succulent plump breasts were displayed if not on the plates then definitely at the table . (and gail you fine too.)

Last edited:
should i watch the finale tonite or the ACCT ?

spoiler alert
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
-
-
-
-
--

-
-
-
-
wham bamm big joe flamm !
honestly this is the first year i hated to see either chef lose. both were fantastic.

Last edited:

spoiler alert
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
-
-
-
-
--

-
-
-
-
honestly this is the first year i hated to see either chef lose. both were fantastic.
I thought she had it, but he was really strong as well. Great season. Loved the positivity and lack of a villian throughout.

team flamm bought her last ingredients. both contestants genuinely pulled for the other.
as far as villains i think tiger glasses was a back stabber and brother hid the saran wrap in LCK .
other than that i thought it was a great season to watch. most cheftestants really seemed to get along. as you said a lot of positivity and support and padma cleavage.

Last edited:

spoiler alert
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
-
-
-
-
--

-
-
-
-
How'd you get this on Thursday afternoon before it aired?? Or am I missing something?

I thought Adrienne took chances and elevated soul food, which is harder to do than Italian, imo. I guess you have to trust the judges. Obviously cool for us to watch them go all over Colorado, but the contestants were really fun to watch for the most part. Joe Flamm is a cool customer though, good for him. Finishing 2nd, there isn't a doubt Adrienne will get whatever $ from investors she wants now, to open her own place.

Loved the positivity and lack of a villian throughout
The better half mentioned that she noticed that as well. We have watched a lot of other food shows, mainly Next Food Network Star, but this was our first season of Top Chef, will probably watch from now on.

Oh yeah, and thanks for giving me the heads up to even watch. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom