Depth chart for CMU released... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Depth chart for CMU released...

The only surprise for me is that he didn't start against Villanova. Kid is an impact player.

agreed. West is just a body at this point. he has been recruited over several times.

agreed. West is just a body at this point. he has been recruited over several times.

It would be nice if the onfield performance of the WRs reflected that. I still feel like other than Estime, we don't have anyone who is a threat to score any given play. This team needs playmakers in the worst way.

TBCuse11 said:

The coaches wouldn't agree. He led the team in receptions and yards vs Nova, so I don't think he's just a body.

The coaches wouldn't agree. He led the team in receptions and yards vs Nova, so I don't think he's just a body.

At crunch time (the OT) West was in there... Not the freshman...

If its the pass I'm thinking of really early in the game, it was thrown way over his head I thought. Or am I missing the easy pass you're talking about.

1st Q about a 5 yard pass on 1st down. He jumped but didn't have to. Ball hits him in both hands in front of his face after he lands, he just flat out dropped it; maybe because he jumped initially. (and maybe that's why it looked way over his head).

i won't nitpick one drop but those things hurt. broyld and estime had easy drops in the game to.

Last edited:
Ish is going to be special. I pointed him out several times watching the Nova game. We're extremely lucky he chose SU.

I'm more shocked by Cooper bypassing Dowels. Hope he's further along than I would expect given his short time at the position, but we've seen it too many times over the last 3 years where a CB would be out of position and it results in a long TD. Here's to hoping it's too soon and kudos to him for putting in the effort.

Did Dowels burn his shirt against Nova? If not, maybe that's why ?

yeah, and we looked AWESOME on offense last game...

Loyalties are a problem for us. Coaches are not always right. Not going to get in to this all over again, but i whined to get Brisly on the field more and returning kicks all last year.. and go figure, he won our bow game for us with a punt return. Let the athletes to their thing. West has honestly shown nothing. Ever.

Not for anything, but I don't why you see the need to bash West. He's not a #1 WR, but the coaches aren't running him out there because of loyalty.

***As an aside, I went to Cuse.com to see where he is in terms of career receptions, but the link to the Record Book brings up the 2013 media guide. ...ugh

I wouldn't say that. West is still an important part of this team, but Ishmael is just that good.

Shouldn't get too excited over the depth chart.

Thompson will still play the majority of his snaps at DE (as he did vs. Villanova); 5 WRs will rotate; West will get his catches; Broyld may start but Estime will get lots of snaps if healthy. Dowel vs Winfield at fourth CB won't make any difference absent injuries.

Comments about West -- well, he is already 18th in program history in receiving yards. Not spectacular, but steady, and will be one of our top 3 receivers over the course of a season.

TBCuse11 said:
yeah, and we looked AWESOME on offense last game... Loyalties are a problem for us. Coaches are not always right. Not going to get in to this all over again, but i whined to get Brisly on the field more and returning kicks all last year.. and go figure, he won our bow game for us with a punt return. Let the athletes to their thing. West has honestly shown nothing. Ever.

So the problem with our offense is West? Got it. A "body" would be scout team. West is hardly that. He's done very well for us and been one if our leading receivers. And it took more than Brisly's return to win that game. Great return at the right time. But his fumble almost killed us too. And that's not a shot at Bri. I love the kid. But I'm not going to tear down West to build up Bri. I'm glad we have both.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that. West is still an important part of this team, but Ishmael is just that good.
Don't waste your breathe or the bandwidth on this guy...he has taken criticizing players to an elite level.

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 7m
Staff has been high on Ishmael throughout the preseason, and his hands really have looked the best based on the limited access we get.
That is what people say but I did not see great hands in the NOVA game. What I did see was an ability to run good routes and get open. If he really does have the great hands he is reputed to have a little PT should help him settle down and play.

yeah, and we looked AWESOME on offense last game...

Loyalties are a problem for us. Coaches are not always right. Not going to get in to this all over again, but i whined to get Brisly on the field more and returning kicks all last year.. and go figure, he won our bow game for us with a punt return. Let the athletes to their thing. West has honestly shown nothing. Ever.

Well that is flat out not even close to accurate.

West and Broyld are the only 2 guys making any Yac right now.. West had a nice one against Vill, not sure anyone else did that whole game.

CanadianSU said:
West > Ishmael

Depends on if you are talking productivity right now or potential. One is West, for now at least. The other is easily Ish.

I saw another depth chart with Josh Parris back and starting at TE. I wonder if one is the updated version? I thought Parris had a good chance of being back. Would be great if possible.

I wish there was a way to have both Brisly and Ashton on the field together.

I would also like to see a lot more Jamal Custis if we are going to be splitting the TE most of the time. He ran wide open down the middle of the field during one of his limited reps last Friday.

At any rate, it interesting. The staff clearly seems to be over the moon on Ish. Would be something if he had a breakout game against CMU or MD.

Hunt seems to have some connection with West and Wilson went to him in OT. I thought West was clutch.