Description of the Baylor Offense | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Description of the Baylor Offense

We shouldn't pretend that the outgoing defense had any success against the triple option. I mean, I try to block out that GT game in 2013 too but it turns out it really did happen. 58-27 or 56-0.

I'll take the punch in the stomach over the broken jaw. Would rather have neither but if I had to choose.

They key was that they did nothing in the second half, perhaps due to the conditions. Maybe that was a 58-50 game in disguise. How many games have we played in adverse weather conditions in recent years, other than the Pinstripe Bowl against West Virginia? And we won that one by going to the ground, which Babers proved in the MAC title game he was willing to do.

SWC and some other knowlegeable FB people please help me on this. Other than the BGSU bowl game, how does the Tampa 2 defense handle the triple option offense? They seemed to shred BG's defense the other night. Thanks.

The good news is if Dino sticks around for 6+ years you start to get a culture instilled. The younger guys will learn from the older guys.

We've had approximately 52 new offenses in the last 5 years...as the Baylor offense is fully implemented the learning curve surely will increase. Then I think Dino can tweek the system to have a "crap" weather package.

Until then I figure most years we play in nearly perfect conditions 9-12 games a season...I can handle those odds.

Last edited:
I don't think it will take that long. 2-3 years I think.
I think that game was a perfect storm for BG. Staff turmoil, rarely if ever playing a triple option team, very young defense, poor weather and dropped passes. One to forget.

SWC and some other knowlegeable FB people please help me on this. Other than the BGSU bowl game, how does the Tampa 2 defense handle the triple option offense? They seemed to shred BG's defense the other night. Thanks.

It doesn't.

The teams I've seen stop the TO get very good penetration at the line of scrimmage and stop it before it starts but have lots of very quick defenders behind them to cover the options. That's why it never works in the pros. The best thing is to get out to a good lead and force them to pass.

I don't think it will take that long. 2-3 years I think.
I think that game was a perfect storm for BG. Staff turmoil, rarely if ever playing a triple option team, very young defense, poor weather and dropped passes. One to forget.
Agreed...when I said 6+ years I was just inferring he doesn't bolt for greener pastures or get fired after 2-4 seasons.

It doesn't.

The teams I've seen stop the TO get very good penetration at the line of scrimmage and stop it before it starts but have lots of very quick defenders behind them to cover the options. That's why it never works in the pros. The best thing is to get out to a good lead and force them to pass.
If the front 7 get too much pentetration they will run right past the play. Patience and discipline - each player executing their assignment - is the only way to contain the TO. Can't blitz it for the same reason.
Sooner or later TO offenses will put the ball on the ground. Aldo, they tend to have a lot of penalties.
Just have to be patient.

Safeties are going to be up most of the game.

It doesn't.

For the "historian" in you Steve - Jimmy Johnson is credited with coming up to the "1 gap" defensive alignments during his time at Miami when he had to defend the wishbone offense from teams like Oklahoma. Most NFL and college teams continue to use some variation of that basic gap control concept (placing D lineman in the gaps between the O line man, but more complicated than that). That is generally best done with a 4 man front against option teams. Regardless of the scheme, the D mus take away the A and B gaps from an option team - this is D football 101. If you can not control the gaps to the immediate left and right of the O center, it is almost impossible not to get gouged by the option. So, rule 1 is to take away the dive part of the option. Rule 2 is to make the QB pitch the ball (and, ideally, hit him on every play - that's mostly why you don't see it much in the NFL). And the 3rd phase, obviously is to cover the pitch.

If the front 7 get too much pentetration they will run right past the play. Patience and discipline - each player executing their assignment - is the only way to contain the TO. Can't blitz it for the same reason.
Sooner or later TO offenses will put the ball on the ground. Aldo, they tend to have a lot of penalties.
Just have to be patient.

Safeties are going to be up most of the game.

You can't just stay in your lanes and try to cover every option. That's what we did vs. Georgia Tech. They hit us with one big bomb but other than that it was a just 5 yard gains, one right after another. 007 gave a great explanation of what Jimmy Johnson came up with to combat the option.

You can't just stay in your lanes and try to cover every option. That's what we did vs. Georgia Tech. They hit us with one big bomb but other than that it was a just 5 yard gains, one right after another. 007 gave a great explanation of what Jimmy Johnson came up with to combat the option.
You will recall that we played GT with a 3-4 instead of our usual 4-3. Without an exceptional nose guard to cover both A gaps, that is asking a lot vs the TO. We were also too aggressive (our normal style) and were constantly out of position and couldn't shed blocks.
I didn't say stay in lanes, I said to execute assignments, which requires real discipline.
Allet 007s post said was cover each option in sequence, which is what everyone tries to do.
People forget that in the triple the offense effectively has an extra player (QB) to acount for.
At any rate, every defensive scheme has to start with stopping runs in the A and B gaps - nothing new there.

Regardless of scheme, the D must be disciplined. The whole point of the TO is to force defenders to commit. Overly aggressive D'S are easy prey to the TO.

You will recall that we played GT with a 3-4 instead of our usual 4-3. Without an exceptional nose guard to cover both A gaps, that is asking a lot vs the TO. We were also too aggressive (our normal style) and were constantly out of position and couldn't shed blocks.
I didn't say stay in lanes, I said to execute assignments, which requires real discipline.
Allet 007s post said was cover each option in sequence, which is what everyone tries to do.
People forget that in the triple the offense effectively has an extra player (QB) to acount for.
At any rate, every defensive scheme has to start with stopping runs in the A and B gaps - nothing new there.

Regardless of scheme, the D must be disciplined. The whole point of the TO is to force defenders to commit. Overly aggressive D'S are easy prey to the TO.

When I saw Johnson's Miami teams against Oklahoma, what I remember is that they were in the quarterback's face before he could make a read. They forced early pitches to tailbacks that weren't to the edge yet. They disrupted things and caused turnovers. They didn't win just by tacking the tailback on the sideline. You've got to disrupt the option, not just cover it.

When I saw Johnson's Miami teams against Oklahoma, what I remember is that they were in the quarterback's face before he could make a read. They forced early pitches to tailbacks that weren't to the edge yet. They disrupted things and caused turnovers. They didn't win just by tacking the tailback on the sideline. You've got to disrupt the option, not just cover it.
If you are talking about reads those would be drop back passing plays and quite different than what we are talking about.

I have to disagree as I have never heard a coach ever recommend attacking a TO.
Here is how ND did it with superior talent.
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye...efense-shut-down-georgia-techs-option-offense

The theme is the same as others that have had success against the TO.
BTW, with respect to the OP, Tampa 2 requires the MLB to drop into coverage on pass plays and cover the middle of the field turning the 2 deep into 3 deep. Most teams simply find a straight cover 2 or cover 1 adequate depending on talent.

If you are talking about reads those would be drop back passing plays and quite different than what we are talking about.

I have to disagree as I have never heard a coach ever recommend attacking a TO.
Here is how ND did it with superior talent.
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye...efense-shut-down-georgia-techs-option-offense

The theme is the same as others that have had success against the TO.
BTW, with respect to the OP, Tampa 2 requires the MLB to drop into coverage on pass plays and cover the middle of the field turning the 2 deep into 3 deep. Most teams simply find a straight cover 2 or cover 1 adequate depending on talent.

I saw what I saw vs. Miami. Against GT, we went from the 4-3 to the 3-4 to have more people to fan out and cover the options. That elimainted penetration and lost us the game.

I saw what I saw vs. Miami. Against GT, we went from the 4-3 to the 3-4 to have more people to fan out and cover the options. That elimainted penetration and lost us the game.
We will just have to disagree.