Dickie V diagnosed with lymphoma | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dickie V diagnosed with lymphoma

I hope his cords aren’t hurt too bad from the surgery and chemo, the guy is just pure fun when he announces

That’s fantastic!! He is truly a college hoops institution.

Good to hear. My opinion on Dickie V has really changed over the years. Growing up I couldn’t stand what I considered to be an obnoxious style. But as I’ve gotten older I appreciate that he’s one of a kind and truly loves college basketball. I’ve also heard from folks who have met him that he’s one the most genuinely nice people you’ll find.

Good to hear. My opinion on Dickie V has really changed over the years. Growing up I couldn’t stand what I considered to be an obnoxious style. But as I’ve gotten older I appreciate that he’s one of a kind and truly loves college basketball. I’ve also heard from folks who have met him that he’s one the most genuinely nice people you’ll find.
Well there were several iterations of V. The initial that I knew was the guy who was around near the early days of espn .. he was awesome baby with a capital A… then came a still excellent version where he had all these cool phrases and schticks… think height of classic big east.. then he dropped off a bit where he became too much schtick and self promotional .. game was almost secondary .. but then he once again morphed into a. Top notch version in this last act

I always liked Vitale because he promoted the game of college B-Ball. Another one I liked for that reason was Brent Musburger. Brent always talked up the Pearl and the Dome which didn't hurt our recruiting one bit.

You are looking live! at the Carrier Dome, home of the Syracuse Orangemen….

You are looking live! at the Carrier Dome, home of the Syracuse Orangemen….
Yup! I can still see the shot with a soft snow falling making it look like a Christmas scene. I've always thought the Pearl and Ewing gave the Big East very early credibility with top recruits. Top kids said if it's good enough for those guys it's good enough for me.

Can’t wait until he comes back next year. He’s all about college basketball.
Although, I cringe every time I hear “Diaper Dandy”

I always liked Vitale because he promoted the game of college B-Ball. Another one I liked for that reason was Brent Musburger. Brent always talked up the Pearl and the Dome which didn't hurt our recruiting one bit.
Always liked him, got sick of him in the “Dukie V” Shane Battier era where he just fawned over those teams during everyone else’s games, but then came back around to enjoying him again in the last decade or so. His positivity, fun, energy and promoting the game has always been a huge plus to college hoops broadcasts.

Also, got his autograph as a kid at a UNC-Duke game - he was great with the kids.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom