Dino coming up on Zoom | Syracusefan.com

Dino coming up on Zoom

Babers said player pods were based based on state restrictions. The groups are capped at 10 and were put together based on housing arrangements (usually four guys). Each pod arrives together, works out together, eats together and leaves together.

Babers on speaking out against racism: "That was hard for me to do. I've never done anything like that in 34 years." Babers said he's always wanted to let his coaching do the talking. Speaking w/ his players changed that. "They brought me to tears. It's hard to let family down."

Babers said he's anticipating that recruiting limitations will continue through the cycle. That would means no visits/in-person evals and a continued reliance on film breakdown/communication.

Babers on teaching via Zoom: "You could cover a great amount of topics, but I really don't like this venue to deliver information. I think it's a venue where people can hear, but not necessarily listen."

Babers said his staff didn't have time to make a "good, fair evaluation" over the team's 3 spring practices. Expects there'll be a lot of guys playing during the first half of the year until the depth chart solidifies. "I see more people playing early than we've ever had before."

Babers on installing new scheme/philosophies: "The Zoom era has actually kind of helped in getting the young men to know the new systems on paper." Social distractions have been removed. "They may come out of it stronger than ever before in the sense of what to do mentally."

The flip side, obviously, is not having the opportunities to rep physically. The staff will have to see how players look once camp gets rolling. Babers believes new coordinators Tony White and Sterlin Gilbert will be able to get the most out of their guys.

Babers is asked about the Covid-19 testing plan and protocol for a positive test. Babers says some info is public, some is private and it's all subject to change from the state level. No substantial new info shared. There is a "course of action" for testing positive.

Babers said his players are "energized" and ready to push back against systemic racism and police brutality. The team still has much more to discuss and they haven't had a second meeting yet, but Babers emphasized that achievements here would far outweigh any wins on the field.

Last edited:
Thanks for all these updates. Seems so hard to get enough information to feed my need for football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom