Dino - Does he ever HC again? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino - Does he ever HC again?

There isn't some massive "he failed and he's done" vibe around him.
Uh, yes there is. It's called his coaching record. And no collegiate institution serious about football will hire Dino Babers to be their Head Coach because of it.

Now if he really still wants to coach, I'm sure he can get a job as position coach somewhere at a lower level of football or in XFL/USFL. But no college above DII or DIII is going to look at his losing record at Syracuse and say, "Yeah, sign me up for that!" Not happening.

I don't think Dino has a national profile big enough to be hired by ESPN.

Not saying he couldn't be good but he's not nationally well known.
A number of the best commentators weren't high profile as coaches or players before becoming famous as commentators/analysts. Lee Corso had a losing record as a coach. Dick Vitale coached college basketball for all of 3 years at Detroit, hardly a high profile program, but he did lead them to the tourney and a national ranking once. Bill Raftery was pretty mediocre as a head coach and Jay Bilas was only an assistant before getting into broadcasting. It's more about personality than their coaching profiles. They became way more famous for their broadcasting than their coaching.

If I were him, I would want to try one more time. Maybe a lower level conference.

Dino would be great on Gameday. A chill balance to the Mcafee noise. It’s time for Carson to retire.

His path to another HC job would be to be an assistant somewhere, guy gets fired and he is the interim and rallies the troops. He’s well liked by players and that is not nothing.

I’d love to see him on ESPN, rocking his Hawaiian shirts and spinning tales

If it were me I’d be done and enjoy retirement. I have no idea what makes some of these guys tick. Ego? Mack Brown is 72. Eddie Robinso coached until he was 78. Boeheim is 79 and had to be forced out. I guess their job is the most important thing in their lives or they’d be doing something else and spending time with the people who matter most to them.

I don’t get it either. I enjoy my job, I’ve had a good career….but at my age I’m mentally checking off days to retirement like it’s the day I get released from jail. I honestly feel bad for guys who have defined themselves so much by their job they can’t let it go.

His path to another HC job would be to be an assistant somewhere, guy gets fired and he is the interim and rallies the troops. He’s well liked by players and that is not nothing.

I’d love to see him on ESPN, rocking his Hawaiian shirts and spinning tales

My hope is that if he ends up on TV, he gets over the way things ended and is generally positive about Syracuse. The end of PK Subban’s career with the NJ Devils was awful - but he’s turned into a huge advocate for the team as a broadcaster. I don’t need Dino to be a cheerleader - but not crapping on the school every chance he gets and saying it’s impossible to win here would be nice.

I don't quite agree with the idea that he could be a commentator at some point.

Based on his interviews and pressers, does he seem like a guy who is going to keep viewers informed or entertained? I understand it's a different situation when you're a HC, but I don't think he gave any inklings that he could be insightful regarding what is happening on the field. I think he's more likely to offer word salads.

Based on his interviews and pressers, does he seem like a guy who is going to keep viewers informed or entertained? I understand it's a different situation when you're a HC, but I don't think he gave any inklings that he could be insightful regarding what is happening on the field. I think he's more likely to offer word salads.
I understand your point but giving a press conference and answering reporters’ questions about your own game is quite a bit different than providing commentary on a game where you aren’t involved. The times that Dino participated in the ESPN Coaches Room during the National Championship game(s), I found his commentary to be insightful and entertaining. I thought he was the best in the room. But maybe that’s just me.

I understand your point but giving a press conference and answering reporters’ questions about your own game is quite a bit different than providing commentary on a game where you aren’t involved. The times that Dino participated in the ESPN Coaches Room during the National Championship game(s), I found his commentary to be insightful and entertaining. I thought he was the best in the room. But maybe that’s just me.

Exactly THIS.

Still remember one of the funniest things, was Dazzler yelling out about some play Clemson ran, and "he'd never seen that before".

Dino then immediately chimed in something like
"Dude! We ran that play against your team a ton of times!!" ;)

I think studio analyst would fit better than game color commentator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom