Dino Freaking Babers | Syracusefan.com

Dino Freaking Babers

javadoc

All American
That is all.

No, seriously, this is the first time in program history (if I recall) that we hired a D-1A HC. Is it any coincidence that we have a generally well-run and focused program from the get-go, with a clear vision of the future? Thank you, Coyle (ahem) and administration, for doing what should have been done a long time ago.

Babers and Wildhack will start a new era for us. No doubts in my mind.

Let me add Sevyrud from a legal and hiring perspective (and maybe the naming rights to the new Dome). He wanted Wildhack first time around but settled for Coyle because of Wildhack's allegiance and contract with ESPN. Although Coyle didn't think we could offer $2.5 million for HCDB at first, he did get us an iron clad 3/6 year contract with Babers.

Let me add Sevyrud from a legal and hiring perspective (and maybe the naming rights to the new Dome). He wanted Wildhack first time around but settled for Coyle because of Wildhack's allegiance and contract with ESPN. Although Coyle didn't think we could offer $2.5 million for HCDB at first, he did get us an iron clad 3/6 year contract with Babers.

How is it structured so that we get 3 for sure if that is what you mean?

Hmm. Go on...

How is it structured so that we get 3 for sure if that is what you mean?

Ok from what I was told (I have not seen the contract) it's more of a 3+3=6 year contract where the $$$ can be renegotiated again (or not) at the end of three years. Breaking it before the end of the first 3 years is huge $$$...last three years not so much.

I'm guessing an extension with more $$$ at end of three years based upon mutual agreement to either lock up HCDB for good until retirement or not. Very positive in many ways for both parties.

Ok from what I was told (I have not seen the contract) it's more of a 3+3=6 year contract where the $$$ can be renegotiated again (or not) at the end of three years. Breaking it before the end of the first 3 years is huge $$$...last three years not so much.

I'm guessing an extension with more $$$ at end of three years based upon mutual agreement to either lock up HCDB for good until retirement or not. Very positive in many ways for both parties.
Is it possible to like this more than once?

images

That is all.

No, seriously, this is the first time in program history (if I recall) that we hired a D-1A HC. Is it any coincidence that we have a generally well-run and focused program from the get-go, with a clear vision of the future? Thank you, Coyle (ahem) and administration, for doing what should have been done a long time ago.
72722447.jpg

Smart organizations of any type have an ability to see the future when it comes to personnel decisions. If we are moving strongly forward at the end of the second year, get the contract done. Anyone can see The difference between Dino and anyone we've had around in decades is very clear. The guy is the real deal. And if he proves that next year... Lock him down with incentive laden contract and get the assistants he cares about paid. We are very very lucky to have Dino. He's professional, inspirational, great with the media, cares about his players, knows how to win with limited resources, and is going to make the Dome incredibly exciting again. I'm so happy with our leadership across the board right now. Don't call it a comeback...

That is all.

The admin deserves major kudos for landing the best option but this success isn't just because he was a D1 HC.

Those of us who were pining for Babers a year ago (months before Shafer was fired) did so because of his offensive background, game management skills and correct analytical decision-making (he goes for it on 4th down!), style of offense that is perfect for the dome, and presence in interviews.

It hasn't been perfect but this is what I expected.

Let's just hang onto him.

Listen, I like Dino a lot. I also think we have to refer to him as DFB from now on.

But, let's calm down on all the extended contract talk. Norte Dame thought they had their man like 6 games into Charlie Weiss' tenure and sold their soul to him by "locking him up" for 10 years only to have that fizzle into nothingness

You're over eager, Mr. Syracuse Fan. And that's understandable considering 15 years of fruitlessness, but slow down

8 games does not justify the reworking of a contract. Talk to me after next season. Let's look at total wins and losses then. Let's look at recruiting trajectory. Let's look at who Syracuse lost to, by how much, and if the offensive philosophy seems to be surging, stagnating, or regressing.

Syracuse should continue to be smart ...which is what they will be

Listen, I like Dino a lot. I also think we have to refer to him as DFB from now on.

But, let's calm down on all the extended contract talk. Norte Dame thought they had their man like 6 games into Charlie Weiss' tenure and sold their soul to him by "locking him up" for 10 years only to have that fizzle into nothingness

You're over eager, Mr. Syracuse Fan. And that's understandable considering 15 years of fruitlessness, but slow down

8 games does not justify the reworking of a contract. Talk to me after next season. Let's look at total wins and losses then. Let's look at recruiting trajectory. Let's look at who Syracuse lost to, by how much, and if the offensive philosophy seems to be surging, stagnating, or regressing.

Syracuse should continue to be smart ...which is what they will be

I don't think DFB (like that better than HCDB) wants to renegotiate until after three years either (assuming it's a 3+3=6). If DFB wins more each season, he can command more $$$ later on. He's paid a top 50 comp now and that's competitive enough.

However, there is nothing stopping a deep pocket University like LSU or UT to come in and buyout everything after year 1. I just don't see them doing that because there are other fish in the market that can deliver results. Also their respective fan bases and supporters would have the AD heads if they went after DFB now. It doesn't make any logical or financial sense for DFB to be picked up by a LSU or UT just yet.

In three years, my take is SU better be prepared to pay a top 20-25 comp package ($4 million plus) if we become a ranked team again, start getting top 25 recruiting classes and attendance goes back up to 45,000 plus average (to pay for it all). If DFB doesn't deliver on that promise, then SU doesn't have to do anything. Win-win.

The only thing I know, is if I'm Wildhack I'm running into Lewis in the hallway and making small talk. I love DB, but if he leaves after 3 years and the system is really clicking, I think you look to hire a guy from his tree to replace him.

That is all.

Amen.

The only thing I know, is if I'm Wildhack I'm running into Lewis in the hallway and making small talk. I love DB, but if he leaves after 3 years and the system is really clicking, I think you look to hire a guy from his tree to replace him.
Absolutely have to continue the same system. No idea if Lewis is ready or even capable of being a head coach but he'd be the most logical guy to promote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom