Dino's Game 12 Press Conference for Pitt: 11 AM | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 12 Press Conference for Pitt: 11 AM

Dino Babers opens with some excitement about SU’s $150M fundraising initiative for the recently announced John. A. Lally Athletics Complex. He also asks fans to hang around Saturday night after the Pitt game for the postgame senior walk.

Syracuse FB/TE Chris Elmore won’t play tomorrow, but he’ll redshirt and come back next year. Big news for the 2022 SU offense.

Dino Babers says biggest issue in passing game is “missing guys wide-ass open” … combination of bad pass, blocking.

Babers said improvements in the passing game are multifaceted. Shrader needs to keep his eyes downfield longer and everyone needs to execute better, including an offensive line that has allowed steady pressures.

"I'm not sure I want to have a mercenary-type program. Some of the better teams are the ones having kids stay in the program." - Babers on the drawbacks of the transfer portal

Babers said he asked juniors who intend to leave this offseason to come forward during the Sunday meeting. He declines to name names, but that will obviously become clear.

Sixth-year DE Josh Black will be close to making it back from injury for the finale on Saturday. Sounds like a potential game-time decision.

Babers sheds little light on the long-term QB approach. Said Shrader is viewed as the 2022 starter because he’s finishing 2021 in that position. But SU will look to get better in the off-season, as it will at every position.

When asked if he thinks he’s done enough to come back next year, Babers: “My job belongs to my employer. My career belongs to me.”

Last edited:
Interesting quote about the passing game. Yeah the OL was a problem and our receivers struggle to get open, but a lot of this is on Schrader too. Teams have taken away the run/scramble game and he has to start beating teams with his arm at least occasionally

"I'm not sure I want to have a mercenary-type program. Some of the better teams are the ones having kids stay in the program." - Babers on the drawbacks of the transfer portal

Babers said he asked juniors who intend to leave this offseason to come forward during the Sunday meeting. He declines to name names, but that will obviously become clear.

This reads like a straight up dumpster fire situation. “Some of the better teams are the ones having kids stay in the program”. And Syracuse is at or near the top for transfer outs this year. It will be interesting to see which Juniors (and anyone else for that matter) end up transferring and adding to the abysmal total.

Interesting quote about the passing game. Yeah the OL was a problem and our receivers struggle to get open, but a lot of this is on Schrader too. Teams have taken away the run/scramble game and he has to start beating teams with his arm at least occasionally

Yet missed the boat on playcalling being able to help with that pressure. Playaction, rollouts, etc. Everyone is to blame, the playcalling is just as at fault as the players.

This reads like a straight up dumpster fire situation. “Some of the better teams are the ones having kids stay in the program”. And Syracuse is at or near the top for transfer outs this year. It will be interesting to see which Juniors (and anyone else for that matter) end up transferring and adding to the abysmal total.

There are Juniors who could take their degrees and transfer, and you wouldn't even know they were gone.

And I'm sure there are a few players that some of our posters would encourage to transfer.

Such a ridiculous statement. We should FULLY embrace the portal. K-state did it with Jucos, we should do it with the portal. Limits future transfers out of the program, while possibly pulling kids we couldn't recruit out of high school looking for playing time in P5 conference.

Such a ridiculous statement. We should FULLY embrace the portal. K-state did it with Jucos, we should do it with the portal. Limits future transfers out of the program, while possibly pulling kids we couldn't recruit out of high school looking for playing time in P5 conference.

He didn’t say he wasn’t going to use the portal. He’s saying he’s not a fan of it.

"My job belongs to my employer. My career belongs to me."

I buy you out, you don't buy me out!

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Ffea5c3c4-b9a7-3fd1-9316-d8841e50bb62.jpg

Last edited:
Very weird thing to say. I’m not sure what it even means but it sounds like he is indifferent as to whether he stays or goes.
I believe BrooklynCuse made a valid point elsewhere. He stated that he felt that Dino was never intending to be here so long, that after 10-3 he'd follow up with another solid year and parlay that to a more desirable job elsewhere.

That plan was derailed by a miss at QB and terrible OL play.

Now he is here and he is miserable. And his window for something bigger and better closed.

That's why he seems so different now versus when he started. He's a guy going through the motions and is indifferent to whether he gets canned or not.

I believe BrooklynCuse made a valid point elsewhere. He stated that he felt that Dino was never intending to be here so long, that after 10-3 he'd follow up with another solid year and parlay that to a more desirable job elsewhere.

Now he is here and he is miserable. And his window for something bigger and better closed.

That's why he seems so different now versus when he started. He's a guy going through the motions and is indifferent to whether he gets canned or not.
That’s definitely a plausible theory.

Wasn't he offered more desirable jobs after 2018 that he turned down when Wildhack extended his contract?

Ludicrous. He signed a contract extension making it harder for him to leave.

Very weird thing to say. I’m not sure what it even means but it sounds like he is indifferent as to whether he stays or goes.
He is big on faith, I think he is saying It’s not his decision, he still controls what he can control, and I have heard before from people in his situation.

“I’m not going to tell you about my goals”.

This was the answer when asked if the team would meet Baber’s goal for the season if we win against Pitt. Apparently we’re not even allowed to know what the team’s goals are.

Maybe you should take up writing fiction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom