Dino's Week 2 MTSU Press Conference Notes / Depth Chart | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Week 2 MTSU Press Conference Notes / Depth Chart

Nothing was more embarrassing than all things encompassing GRob's era here. Literally, everything he did or said was humiliating. The football product as we all know was similar to an ungood D3 school. For fock's sake, even ESPN Gameday did a segment on Syracuse and how fall we had fallen in the football world.

I truly enjoyed Shafer, but he was in over his head and made a fatal coaching mistake in hiring George McDonald as his OC. That dude was a fungus on and off the field.

With that being said, I hope we light em up.
Our program, both on & off the field, was an absolute atrocity under G-Rob. But, to my knowledge, he never cussed out an opposing coach for beating us by too much, let alone before halftime. He also never insinuated that a loss didn't matter because there's worse things going on in the world.

Under G-Rob, we took our losses & knew we had no hope. BUT, we never played the victim...that's more embarrassing.

Our program, both on & off the field, was an absolute atrocity under G-Rob. But, to my knowledge, he never cussed out an opposing coach for beating us by too much, let alone before halftime. He also never insinuated that a loss didn't matter because there's worse things going on in the world.

Under G-Rob, we took our losses & knew we had no hope. BUT, we never played the victim...that's more embarrassing.

Sorry, nothing beats "the little engine that could" presser for most embarrassing.

I always laughed at the "lock them in the dome" comment, lock them in the dome so teams can score 100 points and everyone can get free tacos? Why the hell did we want the opposing team locked in the dome, the end of the game couldn't come fast enough some games.

Hindsight is 20/20.

At the time it was the guy who had delivered some of our best wins in the previous 4 years by shellacking opposing offenses. The offense *finally* caught up in 2012. He was and is a bolt of lightning as a DC.

He was not cut out for HC, but let's not re-write history. I and many, many posters loved that quote at the time. Had I known how years 2 and 3 would go on D, I would have looked real smarts.

I didn't like it, but I understood it. Dabo was up by a ton and got greedy. Shafer forgot he wasn't in the DC chair up in his booth. The ISIS stuff was dumb and impulsive - but not wrong.

I love Shafer the person and the DC but Shafer the HC was way over his head. He lost me for good when he left Dungey in against Louisville down 4 TDs plus with 7 minutes left because he thought we could still pull the game out(his quote). We know what he is going to do this week and we should throw the ball all over the field and take him down. If he wants revenge play Minnesota

Shafer is gonna be back with Michigan when Don Brown takes over BC after this year. I'm still mad Syracuse didn't hire Don after his run with Umass in the mid 2000s.

Shafer is gonna be back with Michigan when Don Brown takes over BC after this year.

Brown's gonna be 63 years old in the offseason. I don't know.

He lost me when he attacked a student reporter at the Daily Orange. You're a college football coach. Your team exists to teach young people and you're attacking a student for asking a question? No way. Hope we embarrass him this weekend the same way he embarrassed this school as a coach.

He lost me when he attacked a student reporter at the Daily Orange. You're a college football coach. Your team exists to teach young people and you're attacking a student for asking a question? No way. Hope we embarrass him this weekend the same way he embarrassed this school as a coach.

I don't want to embarrass former SUHCSS. I just want SU to win the game.

I was not embarrassed by him yelling at Dabo at all. I liked the passion. A football coach cursing? Oh my stars and garters! As stated previously, I was more embarrassed by the debacle that was the G-Rob error.

I like Shafer as a person and as a DC. That being said, I hope he has his worst day as a DC in the Dome on Saturday.

Shafer is gonna be back with Michigan when Don Brown takes over BC after this year. I'm still mad Syracuse didn't hire Don after his run with Umass in the mid 2000s.

That is very true. Addazio needs a bowl to keep his job though and i'm not sure there will be a better candidate than Don Brown. He can flat out coach D.

Hope we hang 80 on you Scott. You paved your own path down the hill and out.

Hindsight is 20/20.

At the time it was the guy who had delivered some of our best wins in the previous 4 years by shellacking opposing offenses. The offense *finally* caught up in 2012. He was and is a bolt of lightning as a DC.

He was not cut out for HC, but let's not re-write history. I and many, many posters loved that quote at the time. Had I known how years 2 and 3 would go on D, I would have looked real smarts.

Stop dude, you used to reply to any post I made that would question anything Shafer did, even a little bit (I guess you still do...). Maybe it's hindsight for you but it wasn't for me. Very early on there were signs that Shafer wasn't going to keep the trajectory pointing up. So I'm not re-writing anything. You took me to task for any criticism of Shafer and you were wrong. It's not a big deal, move on.

Are you kidding me? The meanest he was ever to a student reporter = The nicest Boeheim was to a student reporter.
Did he lose you too?

Some of the animosity on here towards Shafer is comical. It's not his fault he was hired as HC. Blame Daryl Gross for that.

Shafer is one helluva guy with an amazing family. It didn't work out for him here, but he and his wife were very outgoing and caring while on the Hill.

It's only human nature for Shafer to badly want to beat SU. I'm sure he feels like we pulled the plug too early on his tenure, and that there were circumstances beyond his control that negatively impacted our performance (Hunt's injury, Marrone's disinterest in recruiting, etc).

It's also possible for fans to have nuanced thoughts about him. I think the world of Shafer on a personal level, and I wish he had more success at SU. If he had won I think his personality would have lent itself to getting Mac-like love from the fanbase. But he wasn't a good head coach, it was clear he didn't have the chops to turn the program around, and I want SU to kick MTSU's ass six ways to Sunday. Nothing personal, just business.

Last thought... I find the notion that he has some advantage because he "knows our personnel" to be laughable. We don't run anything resembling his offensive and defensive styles. Just because he recruited some of our roster doesn't mean he has a better idea than any other DC on how to defend what Dino is having them do.

I love Shafer the person and the DC but Shafer the HC was way over his head. He lost me for good when he left Dungey in against Louisville down 4 TDs plus with 7 minutes left because he thought we could still pull the game out(his quote). We know what he is going to do this week and we should throw the ball all over the field and take him down. If he wants revenge play Minnesota
This only further proves my point. He thought we could still pull the game out at L'Ville down 4 TDs with 7 minutes left but threw an on-field hissy fit when Dabo went for the TD instead of the FG up 35-7 in the FIRST HALF.

Last edited:
I was not embarrassed by him yelling at Dabo at all. I liked the passion. A football coach cursing? Oh my stars and garters! As stated previously, I was more embarrassed by the debacle that was the G-Rob error.

I like Shafer as a person and as a DC. That being said, I hope he has his worst day as a DC in the Dome on Saturday.
I had no problem with him cursing, it was his message..."Dabo, you're being mean by trying to tack on a TD before halftime up 35-7 & I stopped you, you big meany". Sorry, I don't really consider that "passion". & what did he care what the score was anyway? It's just a football game...ISIS is beheading people. Doesn't sound too passionate to me.

The reason why anyone cuts HCSS any slack here is his enthusiasm for the players and the game. Same enthusiasm led to him saying stupid, unprofessional things that - when combined with his product on the field - just underlined how overmatched he was as a coach. And, maybe, he just wasn't getting as much administrative support as we hope HCDB will receive.

Yep. Shows that enthusiasm is a poor substitute for acumen.

I'm looking at you, everyone who complained about Doug Marrone's lack of 'fire' on the sideline.

yeah its not like UCLA came back from 5 scores down with 15 to go and 3 scores with 8 to go..

I think Shafer, aside from Mac, has the highest post Syracuse fan rating in spite of his inability to coach up the Orange during his tenure. It lends to him being a good guy and trying his best to keep the program at the Marrone level (which was artificially inflated due to the end of Big East matchups he got vs the ACC). If Shafer had built up his coaching chops during the Marrone era (Big East), it may have been a completely different calculus than now.

We asked to be in the ACC, demanded it, and now we needed to step up our coaching to compete in the big boy league.

Yep. Shows that enthusiasm is a poor substitute for acumen.

I'm looking at you, everyone who complained about Doug Marrone's lack of 'fire' on the sideline.
Oh come on, that's ridiculous. I complained about way more than Marrone's lack of sideline fire.