Dion projects to Deron Williams in the pros | Syracusefan.com

Dion projects to Deron Williams in the pros

OrangeFoo

All American
I always enjoy the posts by our NBA experts declaring how various players on our squad would never make it in the NBA because they are under-sized, not athletic enough, don't have a position etc...

This years "will never make it in the NBA" guy seems to be Dion Waiters. The criticism is that he's basically an undersized shooting guard. I happen to believe he's a perfect sized point guard in the Deron Williams mold. For the record Deron Williams is listed at 6'3" 209 and Dion goes 6'4" 215 so they are very similar there.

If you look at their college stats adjusted for 40 minutes to compensate for dion not starting:

Deron Williams averaged 14 points per 40 minutes, 4 RB per 40 minutes, 7.4 assists per 40 minutes, and 1.43 steals per 40 minutes

Dion this year averages 21 points per 40, 3.7 RB per 40, 4.6 assists per 40 and 3.5 steals per 40

What makes Dwill's assist numbers more impressive is that he played with a true point in Dee Brown so they really shared the ball. Having said that Dion isn't that far behind given that his primary job for this team is to be the scorer on the team. When I look at the two players I give Dion the edge in athleticism, however Dwill probably has a better feel for the game and running an offense and he is definitely a better shooter, but I think that these are things that Dion has in his game and can improve on. What's great about Dion is that he has the handle and the vision to be an NBA point and those attributes you just can't learn you need to have them. He just needs to learn how to create for others rather than himself.

Anyways I'm not an NBA scout by any means but I project Dion to be a pretty interesting NBA point guard with pretty high upside if he learns how to run a team rather than looking to create his own offense. The NBA is a pick and roll league and you put Dion in a pick and roll situation and not many guys are going to stop him from getting to the rim 1 one 1 so he'll get help which will open up other guys.

And please stop with the no way is Dion Waiters as good as Deron Williams posts, I'm not saying he is that good, I'm saying he projects to have a similar skillset while being probably a more explosive athlete.

I think that Dion has not shown that he wants to be a true point guard. He is certainly shown his ability to find teammates much more often than last year, but when I am watching him, I always get the feeling that if a few minutes have passed, he HAS to put up a shot, he gets the itch.

His skill set is very different from Deron Williams, and will never be similar.

Size wise, sure, he's similar to Deron Williams. But Deron Williams is a 100% pure point guard with an incredible handle and superb court vision and passing ability. His game is completely different than Dion's.

Dion is probably a lot closer to a guy like Baron Davis.

Dion has not shown himself to be the passer that Deron is. Come on; Williams is one of the 3 best PG in the game. I don't think Dion will ever be that kind of distributor.

Size wise, sure, he's similar to Deron Williams. But Deron Williams is a 100% pure point guard with an incredible handle and superb court vision and passing ability. His game is completely different than Dion's.

Dion is probably a lot closer to a guy like Baron Davis.

Good call on Baron, he might be a better comparison. People forget that when Deron Williams was Dion's age he didn't have the handle and vision then that he does now. That got developed over a few years of playing in college and the pros. Again not saying Dion is as good as Deron or ever will be but you are comparing a finished product to someone who is still very raw and developing.

Deron Williams game has an old man's/savvy point guard game, cerebral player. Dion is a guy who wants to run and be a high flyer. They couldn't be more different.

Deron Williams game has an old man's/savvy point guard game, cerebral player. Dion is a guy who wants to run and be a high flyer. They couldn't be more different.
Two years ago I thought DWill was a good comparison for Triche. Similar build and was thinking the similar ability to hoist a team on his back and take over the game. I guess I was wrong with Triche, but it will be interesting next year with Scoop definitely gone and Dion potentially gone. I assume MCW will be the lead guard but I do like it when the ball is in Triche's hand.

But in college Deron played 2 guard to Dee Brown's point. I think everyone is confusing what Dion does today versus what he would be asked to do in the NBA. I do agree he's a scorer, it will be interesting to see if he can tone that down in the pros because if he's going to start its going to be as a point guard.

I could see Dion thriving as a second PG on a team like the Spurs

People were closer with the Wade comparisons than the Deron Williams comparison.

Honestly the guy he reminds me most of is Kevin Durant.

For Dion...if all the stars align and his game blossoms...the absolute ceiling is Monta Ellis.= A volume shooter who isn't very efficient, but very explosive... can go off for 30 at any time. While I think Dion would be better off concentrating on being a point... I don't think you will ever be able to turn off that strong "me first" attitude altogether..so I think he'll be a combo-ish 2 when its all said and done.

His floor is probably a Shannon Brown type player. Bench sparkplug...

For Dion...if all the stars align and his game blossoms...the absolute ceiling is Monta Ellis.= A volume shooter who isn't very efficient, but very explosive... can go off for 30 at any time. While I think Dion would be better off concentrating on being a point... I don't think you will ever be able to turn off that strong "me first" attitude altogether..so I think he'll be a combo-ish 2 when its all said and done.

His floor is probably a Shannon Brown type player. Bench sparkplug...
If he marries someone like Monica then he is doing pretty well.

shannonmonicabrowninside021412.jpg

I am convinced people don't watch the NBA.

Dion is looking like a poor man's Tyreke Evans right now, even though, my guess, in his own mind he plays like DWade (read his tweets and RTs).

He is not DWill. He is not like any PG. He is a combo that is athletic with a good frame that can attack the rim and is a solid passer.

I see him as a JR Smith type player. An explosive player, that can light up the score board some nights. Like Smith, he won't start very often. He'll probably average around 10pts a game.

JR Smith can shoot lights out. Tyreke Evans is 6'6.

Dion is Dion. Someone said Spurs. Perfect. Groom him to replace Parker. Dion will get a lot better but another year in college? He could go from 25th pick to top 5 or 10. Might be worth it. But seems he's got that itch to go.

Scoop reminds me quite a bit of Jameer nelson. (6'0 wikipedia) Body language and all. Hes getting faster every year and has bigger upper arms though.

I would take a backcourt of Nelson and Dwayne Wade anyday.

Last few games Dion has not finished in traffic...his reputation is he wins on one-one...but havent seem him light anyone up lately. If he doesnt start being the go to guy at end of half and ball game, he will lose that roll at 'Cuse and will not be an NBA player.

Geez, I know I'll probably piss a lot of people off, but I see him as really overrated by us right now.

He is not a terrific distributor, clearly a me first style of play. Could he become a better distributor? Sure, but he needs to actually do it, not just have the potential to do it. He has a mediocre outside shot, that he takes too often. He can get to the rim, but I feel like he has had a tough time finishing when guarded.

The NBA often drafts guys on potential but I really believe that he needs to step up his game and show a little more consistency against our better opponents if he is to be drafted. When the draft rolls around I feel like drafting teams are going to reevaluate him and come to the conclusion (i) we've seen him for two years.....he is what he is, (ii) he was a terrific and dynamic scorer against weaker competition, but wasn't able to do it so much against better more physical opponents (iii) there is not as much upside as the early season buzz suggested.

If I were a betting man, I would put money on him being back next year unless he has a really strong, almost dominant finish to the year. I suggest that he may be back assuming if he isn't going to be a 1st rounder he'll be back. It's possible he goes out the Devo/Paul Harris door too...not really sure where his head is at.

Dion has a touch of Steve Francis in him who in his prime had a touch of Jordan in him. (6'3 wiki)
"Dion has more confidence then everyone in this room"-JB