Dion's Grades | Syracusefan.com

Dion's Grades

bleeding orange

Walk On
Over the last 24-36 hours I have been hearing a lot of different people (People who don't talk to each other) making references to the fact that Waiters may be having grade issues. Has anyone else heard this? The quotes I am hearing are "Sweating it out" and "potentially ineligible" which scares the hell out of me.

As of now this is just a lot of people talking with no true or great source to mention. I want to make that clear before I start an uproar. :)

Not sure how long this thread will stick, but I'm a bit skeptical of that - I think most undergraduates have had fall grades in hand for at least two weeks now. We'd probably have heard of something by now.

Which is exactly what I was thinking (and hoping). It just came out of nowhere and some of the people talking have been right in the past when talking about stuff like this. I figured I would both ask and mention that there was not a great source behind the rumor.

Grades are done for the fall semester... If he was ineligible he would have to be sitting out right now. There is no way grades are not out yet with the spring semester about to start

How about this one, just before our game with Providence I got a call stating, a security guard at SU told a friend of mine that Fab, Scoop & CJ were suspened. The guard did not know for what or for how long.

Love them rumors.

I started a thread about this topic a week ago and members of the board got their panties in a bunch about how it's "not fair to the kids" to post RUMORS like this.

So add to the OP. I've heard nothing, but again, like has been stated, I would imagine Waiters, Melo, etc would not be playing right now if they were academically ineligible.

at this point.. i would say its a non issue, i actually recall first hand having issues of my own due to one of my engineering classes and a low gpa that threatened my scholarship, after some negotiating i got some extra help and extra work while retaking a different class to get a better average over the two semesters.. there are manu different ways any student can work on their gpa that would not fall into derrick rose john cal territory.. as long as the students are the ones doing the work

heard the same rumor yesterday. with grades out it would have been done already.

As others have stated, this has been out there for awhile now. The first I had heard was before Providence, but at that point grades were already out (I believe) as another individual confirmed for me that the Football payers were talking about their grades.

As others I feel like something would have been done by now, but who knows.

44cuse

Over the last 24-36 hours I have been hearing a lot of different people (People who don't talk to each other) making references to the fact that Waiters may be having grade issues. Has anyone else heard this? The quotes I am hearing are "Sweating it out" and "potentially ineligible" which scares the hell out of me.

As of now this is just a lot of people talking with no true or great source to mention. I want to make that clear before I start an uproar. :)

Hate how people assign sterotypes to kids and start these rumors. I remembver all the Devo grade issues. Totally false, but the kid looked like a punk, so people figured he couldn't cut it. A friend in the AD told me (after his freshman year) how mad it made her, because the kis was a good student (about 3.0).
For people to think that THIS Dion would let his grades go is unfathomable. This is (from an outsider's perspective) as fine a group of fine, conscientous young men that our HOF coach has ever gathered. Do we think that cousin Scoop, degree in hand, working on his Masters, would let his cousin screw that part of school up?
As a parent who got the call from his 1st semester son last year that he was ineligable to swim due to grades, and had to petition to get back in (which he did and rallied to the Dean's list, thank you very much), anyone who was ineleigable would have been told by now.

heard the same rumor yesterday. with grades out it would have been done already.
not necessarily . . . suspension would not begin until school was back in session. that was how Devo was able to continue playing a few years ago, and he also managed to get an appeal, a reduction, and complete his XX hours of community service in the intersession.

not necessarily . . . suspension would not begin until school was back in session. that was how Devo was able to continue playing a few years ago, and he also managed to get an appeal, a reduction, and complete his XX hours of community service in the intersession.
I don't think so. My son was ineligble to even be on campus until the appeal was heard. Also, there is NCAA eligability to deal with, as well as SU. Why use an ineligible player is it could cost you a forfeit. This is next semester for athletics, not last semester. (See how transfers get to play right after finals.)

Wow some of you folks are a piece of work, trying to stir up something negative with no reliable sources. By the way wasnt Fab also included in this aswell. My god why cant we enjoy having the Number 1 team in the country and a legit chance at a National Championship.

Like moqui I always thought that you were eligible until the start of the next semester. I hope you guys are correct.

Not sure how long this thread will stick, but I'm a bit skeptical of that - I think most undergraduates have had fall grades in hand for at least two weeks now. We'd probably have heard of something by now.
Winter session to bring grades up possibly? I have no idea, but the ineligibility would start when SU got back in session, not as soon as grades were handed out.

Hate how people assign sterotypes to kids and start these rumors. I remembver all the Devo grade issues. Totally false, but the kid looked like a punk, so people figured he couldn't cut it. A friend in the AD told me (after his freshman year) how mad it made her, because the kis was a good student (about 3.0).
For people to think that THIS Dion would let his grades go is unfathomable. This is (from an outsider's perspective) as fine a group of fine, conscientous young men that our HOF coach has ever gathered. Do we think that cousin Scoop, degree in hand, working on his Masters, would let his cousin screw that part of school up?
As a parent who got the call from his 1st semester son last year that he was ineligable to swim due to grades, and had to petition to get back in (which he did and rallied to the Dean's list, thank you very much), anyone who was ineleigable would have been told by now.
By the way, the Devo grade issues at one point weren't completely false. He was not doing well at ALL. I know this for a fact. It's a credit to him that he buckled down and did better the rest of his career, but at one point it was a real concern.

Nobody is ineligible for the 1st semester until the 2nd semester starts. And yes, there was concern about a couple of players and my understanding is that it is probably resolved. I guess we will know for sure the Notre Dame game.

BTW, I remember a class I made up work after grades came out for 1st semester but before the 2nd semester started. I think the prof gave me a INC for the grade but my memory is too foggy as it was 38 years ago.

By the way, the Devo grade issues at one point weren't completely false. He was not doing well at ALL. I know this for a fact. It's a credit to him that he buckled down and did better the rest of his career, but at one point it was a real concern.

Correct. Devo was in the deep end his first couple years. He got roomed with AO for awhile and to Devo's credit, he did a lot better his last couple years and if I remember right, he even made deans list one semester. But that doesn't mean he didn't start off in real bad shape. He never thought he'd be here more than 1-2 years, or at least his "friends" didn't think so.

Nobody is ineligible for the 1st semester until the 2nd semester starts. And yes, there was concern about a couple of players and my understanding is that it is probably resolved. I guess we will know for sure the Notre Dame game.

BTW, I remember a class I made up work after grades came out for 1st semester but before the 2nd semester started. I think the prof gave me a INC for the grade but my memory is too foggy as it was 38 years ago.

I won't get graded for my fall semester internship until February this year and I have no problem registering/taking classes this semester. I'm sure any teacher could do the same.

A couple of things. I know that we have a couple of SU students who post here--so maybe they can provide specific insight about when grades were released. The timing seems completely off for a suspension. It would also be interesting to find out whether Dion attended winter session classes--that might be "evidence" suggesting that he did, in fact, need to get his grades up. But if that were the case, I imagine that Boeheim would have sat him in the near term, so that he could bust hump on a few classes and clear any GPA issues up to protect his long-term eligibility for the rest of the season.

Second, I heard this rumor about Dion back when I was in CNY over the holidays. I didn't believe it , given the level of academic support these players have at their disposal. When was the last time we had a player suspended due to academic ineligibility? I'm not saying that it never happened--just that I can't recall a time when it did, so it must be a pretty rare occurrence.

Third, this rumor conjures up memories from a couple of years ago, when some posters reported rumors about Devo flunking out ever semester. Lo and behold, not only were the rumors unfounded his last few semesters, he actually had dean's list caliber grades those semesters.

I would hate for something like this to prove true. I'm of the opinion that Dion is the best player on the team--it would be a big loss. I just can't believe that it's true.

Downtown Oneonta is a temptress

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom